Disney plans resorts reorganization, layoffs

Bug715

That's what I'm worried about, CM's completely disgusted and taking it out on guests. I'm not expecting totally rude and non caring CM's, which may happen from time to time, but I think we as guests will have to rely more on ourselves to make sure the magic is there.

I don't think the Guests should have to make their own magic. I don't believe that you can bring your kids in and CMs can entertain them and make their days awesome while you just walk around. Its a mutal thing and Disney CMs are held to a higher standard than employees at Six Flags by the guests.

Gater if you feel that it is better for people to work outside the company to have a better life as you said in your PM then maybe you really should leave the company. Don't get me wrong I had bad days working and knew people who were just there for the pay check but they didn't show that onstage or on message boards. Ok done....

I am tired of the branding that makes all parks have the same merchandise. I have started finding a shirt to buy each trip and last trip I didn't get one because the Mickey on Main Street one that I LOVED I couldn't find in my size in the only other place I saw it (stupid women's cut) and same with the rose & crown shirt I saw. I hope that they'll have more of the rose & crown shirt spring break since I'd never seen it before and I think it would be a good seller. I hate that the Haunted Mansion ears I bought in october had the DL mansion on it but I love HM & I'm going to DL this summer.

I also miss the old mugs that were exclusive to the resorts. Last year when my dad stayed at Pop he told me how much they were back in the day compared to how much they are now.

DisneyMusician2

I just don't understand where people expect Disney to get this extra money from.

People complain about raising prices.
People complain about not pouring money into the parks.
People complain about making spending cuts.
People complain about the way Disney makes spending cuts.
People complain about consolidation of manangement and branding to save money.

I understand voicing concerns and feeling unfair treatment, but where do you expect the company to save if they have to pour money they don't have into the parks and continue to spend the same amount everywhere else? I don't want to see anyone get laid off, as I have been, but what is the right solution? At least they didn't start with the front-line CM's.

It is a good thing that some people aren't really in charge of the company, or else there would be a countdown to the closing of WDW.

TURKEY

Everyone of you loves your job every day? I have good days and bad days. Some days I want to leave.

There is no way in heck that I would quit any job I had no matter how much I hated it right now unless I had another one lined up and offered to me. Would any of you?

I think it would be a different discussion entirely if the original poster had said "buyouts" instead of "laid off". It sounds like he would be in a position to take a buyout, no matter what it was to get something.

Side note, what were they offering front line cast members after 9/11 as far as buyouts? I know that some happened, not just to management. What were the benefits/perks?

TURKEY

I just don't understand where people expect Disney to get this extra money from.

People complain about raising prices.
People complain about not pouring money into the parks.
People complain about making spending cuts.
People complain about the way Disney makes spending cuts.
People complain about consolidation of manangement and branding to save money.

I understand voicing concerns and feeling unfair treatment, but where do you expect the company to save if they have to pour money they don't have into the parks and continue to spend the same amount everywhere else? I don't want to see anyone get laid off, as I have been, but what is the right solution? At least they didn't start with the front-line CM's.

It is a good thing that some people aren't really in charge of the company, or else there would be a countdown to the closing of WDW.

People complain about raising prices as there is no perceived benefit from the increased price and it's not a price increase that matches yearly inflation increases.

People complain about not spending in parks not now in bad, but in the past years when Disney has had record profits and during an economic boom. The company sat on their hands and raised their yearly and quarterly profits by cutting spending and development.

Now, in order to keep profits somewhat high for Wall Street, things have to be cut as costs can't be passed on to consumers as they don't have the money to spend.

Dayma

I have to be honest here. I go to WDW to escape the realy world and pay well to do so. I hope that the CMs are professional and do not affect my experience in a negative way.

Just my 2 cents....

hrcollectibles

I don't have a problem with "Cloning" major attractions. Many Disneyland people get upset because they want everything to be unique to DL. However most of the "clones" are not exactly the same in each park. there are many unique features in each different version. I agree that cloning every single Attraction is a bad idea. but if it's a good attraction than go ahead.

And who exactly will deem what a good attraction is? Whats good to one person may not be good to another

TP2000

Simply put, they have no evidence to fire me, they can only lay me off due to the economy, and of course layoff means 6 months compensation, that is what I am looking for.

I'm curious where you got the impression that an hourly, front line Cast Member that is laid off would automatically receive 6 months of "compensation"? :confused:

First, I highly doubt that Disney will be laying off front line, "guest facing" Cast Members any time soon, if ever. Second, if they do lay off hourly Cast there won't be any type of "compensation" offered to those folks aside from any unused Vacation or Sick Pay, and a packet of papers that has contact information for unemployment resources offered by the State of Florida and Federal Government.

Where did you get the the concept of 6 months of automatic "compensation" from? Please don't tell me that is what the Union representatives are telling hourly Cast Members in Florida, because it is completely false.

If anything, your managers could fill you in on what, if any, types of resources would be extended to a laid off hourly Cast Member in a guest facing role. If that were to ever happen, which it won't, barring some sort of complete economic collapse that closes WDW theme parks several days per week, or worse.

WDW1974

I'm become slightly more optimistic, but I won't have true faith until Meg and Phil are outta here.

Then you have a long wait for your faith to return.

Meg is going to be around as a figurehead ... basically what she has been since she took the position for a long time ... and Phil likes his job.

Don't see changes coming.

WDW1974

This article basicly say's that the "Disney Parks" trend will continue. Why is that good news? Edi-If Al Lutz thinks this news is good I will trust him.

The Disney Parks branding will continue ... at least in the USA ... as to Lutz, he is a DL-centric overgrown fanboi. He loves DL and couldn't care less what happens to WDW.

So while these moves may make him happy for Anaheim (I am still waiting to find out why) that doesn't mean a thing in O-Town.

Al, like many fanbois, only sees things thru a narrow prism of what he cares most about.

~Pass the Pixie Dust~

WDW1974

I have to be honest here. I go to WDW to escape the realy world and pay well to do so. I hope that the CMs are professional and do not affect my experience in a negative way.

Just my 2 cents....

WDW's CMs are largely terrific.

But you can't expect the real world to not intrude on their lives and therefore their service from time to time.

When they're in danger of being homeless they may not be in the most magical mood to deal with guests who are dropping most of their annual salary on their vacations.

And in the current economy the old 'well, if you don't like the working conditions, you can just leave and go elsewhere' response is total bull$hit. There's no where to go.

~Pass the Pixie Dust~

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom