Disney plans resorts reorganization, layoffs

bugsbunny

Oh boy. I knew that was coming.

SirGoofy...what I think you fail to realize...is that Disney is a job for a lot of people. It's not a life experience, as it is for you. You'd be perfect on a radio casting commercial.

I'm not going to categorize myself in either category. However, I'm going to bring out both sides.

A job is a place where one goes to work and make money. Years ago, before you were a cast member, Disney upped the experience, and really made it magical for cast members. However, greed and politics prevailed. It's not what it used to be. Many things that Gator discusses didn't use to be.

But...again, it's a job. And right now, people can't just quit and leave, because frankly, there's no other jobs out there. So they have to stay and make the same $7 an hour. Rooming with 3-4 people to make ends meet. For many people (obviously you're not one of them)...that reduces the quality of life.

Saying that, I'm incredibly happy that you can't wait to go to work everyday. That's a GREAT THING when you do what you love...and I encourage everyone to do the same...if they are able.

There will always be Disney nuts...and I'm NOT saying that negatively. Ones that work at work, play at work, and spend their off days at work....and yes...even post messages about work on the internet! :) haha

But don't hold it against the ones that work to make money, to make a living, and/or to provide for a family. Which is what the majority of front-line full-time (non-CP) cast members work for.

Again, love that you love your job. I love mine...but at the end of the day...it's about the paycheck that arrives on Thursday. And without it, I'd be in a whole heap of trouble.

I concur. Not every job at every company is great or enticing. There so many factors that can also make or break a position within a company. just having a great boss that shields his underlings from the BS from above can make ALL the difference between being able to enjoy your job versus doing your 8-and-skate everyday just to collect a pay check.

I have no doubt that plenty of Disney management thinks that employees should be the one's thankful for letting them work for Disney. After all, they have the best hiring and job placement models, etc, etc. Right? At least that is the word on the street and if you buy into all of that, of course it's the most magical place to work.

Try telling that someone selling balloons on Main Street in 95 degree heat and humidity. :ROFLOL:

epcotWSC

That is my concern as well. The fact that this is stated as a positive, leaves me to be believe a cookie cutter place. Cookie cutter modal is good for business but bad for creativity.

Personally I wouldn't mind seeing attractions that appear in Cali also appear and Florida and vise-versa. What's wrong with that? I'm sure that a very large portion of people who go to these parks have never experienced both. Also as they said it cuts down on development costs which allows them to apply the project in multiple locations, which IMO is a win.

Where I would like to see the homogeneousness and cost reducing measures decline is in Merchandise, Food, Maintenance, Upkeep, Refurbishments, etc. Of course, I also think that they should have things in just FLA and just in CAL, but to share a majority of the attractions is not a bad thing. At least you know something being developed won't just go in one place, but both.

benji

The number of cast members to guests in the parks are really great right now. But if they lay more people off it will leave us with longer lines at gift shops, food services etc... In the long run Disney is known for it excellent customer service. I hope the service doesn't start reflecting the Six flags parks.

MousDad

Perhaps it could mean a little DLR rubbing off on WDW as WDWFigment Suggested?

Point taken. And it does make me wonder, though, why Al Lutz is spinning this as positive for DLR. His update out Tuesday should be interesting.

All in all, though, my initial impressions from this are that this smells like a giant power-grab by Rasulo.

WDWFigment

But what does Disney care, they have yearly funds from DVC that is locked into a 50 year contract.....

Remember, only part of the profit of DVC is in the initial investment and yearly maintenance fees. If they continue to put out a stale product, DVC owners will stop visiting WDW. That means TWDC won't get the money from their ticket, souvenir, and food purchases.

There also is the chance that those disinterested individuals will sell their memberships (thereby becoming competitors of DVC via the resale market), which is also not in TWDC's interests.

Even worse, there is the chance that the potential DVC market will shrink, as the young demographic that begins to enter "DVC purchasing" age won't see DVC as something in which they want to invest due to a declining product.

Overall, I see DVC as a positive for WDW, as it brings the audience closer (closer, not the same) into line with DLR's, and thus, the parks should start to cater more to repeat visitors (as DLR does). Doesn't mean it'll happen, but that's how, in my opinion, it should happen.

So, hopefully, this new union will bring us more management in the vein of DLR, and not further "Rasuloization" of the parks.

Figment632

You are right on all accounts, union protection doesn't mean they can't fire me. I also agree that they will not offer buyouts to front line CM's. With that said, they simply can't fire CM's without just cause, you should know that. My record card has more GSF cards than Call Ins, I haven't had a reprimand for attendance since my CP back in 2004. I have had no issues with management or other CM's in any area that I have worked, so no one has an ax to grind against me. Simply put, they have no evidence to fire me, they can only lay me off due to the economy, and of course layoff means 6 months compensation, that is what I am looking for. If they try to fire me due to the economy without just cause, then I'll be getting a lawyer. They can layoff anyone at any time, but Disney is not exempt from federal law. If they have to layoff, they have to provide the compensation.

You could try and find another job! You shouldn't wish for something that affects so many other people just because you are unhappy. They don't have to lay you off assuming you are hourly if I was your manager and I found out you felt like this I would cut you down to 4 hours every other week till you quit. There's nothing your union can do about that!

jakeman

I live for the resort unique merchandising. I like to show off the resort I went to. It shows there is more to Disney then Theme Parks. For us, resorts is a huge deal. The last trip in 08 was very disappointing for resort merchandise. It was all DVC or Disney crap...

But what does Disney care, they have yearly funds from DVC that is locked into a 50 year contract.....
Disney will care eventually if they notice that merchandise sales are dropping.

It's not like they robbed you of your choices as a consumer, punched you in the face, and rode off on horseback, laughing manically, just because you joined DVC. DVC is just one piece of a large puzzle to take your money. :lol:

One of the few sore points I have with the product is the homogenzation of the merchandise, and so I don't really purchase anything anymore. I'm more than willing as a consumer to make the purchase, but I find nothing of interest nor do I find anything that I know won't be there the next time.

So like I said, I'm not looking forward to the further homogenzation of merchandise, but I can definately see the benefits of the homogenzation of attractions.

GothMickey

gator, the way you should have worded your post was:

"IF LAYOFFS HIT CMs, I HOPE I AM ONE OF THEM." That way, you aren't seen as uncaring, selfish, and what have you.

Sorry if I came across as harsh before. Like I said, I been through it and I would never wish it upon anyone.

wilsonhanks

gator, the way you should have worded your post was:

"IF LAYOFFS HIT CMs, I HOPE I AM ONE OF THEM." That way, you aren't seen as uncaring, selfish, and what have you.

Sorry if I came across as harsh before. Like I said, I been through it and I would never wish it upon anyone.

Does he really think a 6 month severence would be offered to a concierge??????????? :hammer:

:ROFLOL::ROFLOL::ROFLOL::ROFLOL::ROFLOL::ROFLOL::ROFLOL::ROFLOL::ROFLOL:

TP2000

What I am torn about right now is if I should go to my leadership right now and tell them that I am looking to get laid off or for a buy out. I am under union protection so they can not fire me just for bringing up the option, and this would allow them to save money long term (by bringing in a CP or IP to take my place or just not filling my position). This would not only make me happy but it could also save someone else who really wants to stay with the company.

I'm afraid you do not have a good understanding of what a front line, entry level, hourly employee like yourself would receive in a dire situation where your job would be eliminated. In short, you would receive nothing but a politically correct statement from HR and a few telephone numbers for you to call regarding state unemployment benefits and health insurance.

For a front line, entry level CM making 9 to 15 dollars an hour there will be no severance package, no "buyout", no lump sum payment, nothing. You will simply be fired and be eligible for whatever the state of Florida doles out to the unemployed at the low end of the pay scale.

But, what I think Disney would be doing long before that is scaling back your hours to the lowest level possible under your union contract based on your full-time or part-time status. That would drag on for months and months, and you would probably quit to work at Wal-Mart that offers more hours long before that. Speak with your manager and let us know what they say, but that's what my life experience tells me will happen. I'm not sure where you got the idea that hourly CM's would ever get a "buyout" offer or some such monetary benefit. :confused:

As for the re-organization and executive layoffs, Al Lutz has issued a statement that there is good news to be had in this big re-org and layoffs. An update from him arrives on Tuesday, his usual day, but late last night he put up an optimistic statement about the changes. If its good news for Disneyland, it should be good news for WDW, right? :)

Computer Magic

Personally I wouldn't mind seeing attractions that appear in Cali also appear and Florida and vise-versa. What's wrong with that? I'm sure that a very large portion of people who go to these parks have never experienced both. Also as they said it cuts down on development costs which allows them to apply the project in multiple locations, which IMO is a win.

Where I would like to see the homogeneousness and cost reducing measures decline is in Merchandise, Food, Maintenance, Upkeep, Refurbishments, etc. Of course, I also think that they should have things in just FLA and just in CAL, but to share a majority of the attractions is not a bad thing. At least you know something being developed won't just go in one place, but both.
My main concern is with Merchandise and Food. But I also want to see different attractions at each park. I would not want the exact house as my sister, even if the cost was reduced.

Computer Magic

Disney will care eventually if they notice that merchandise sales are dropping.

It's not like they robbed you of your choices as a consumer, punched you in the face, and rode off on horseback, laughing manically, just because you joined DVC. DVC is just one piece of a large puzzle to take your money. :lol:

Disclaimer: I'm not a DVC member or do I have an opinion about DVC owning.

However a DVC member money is taken every year. I have not seen the contract, but I doubt you can just stop paying a yearly fee. You either have to sell or pay. There is no giving it back. It becomes a Supply and Demand issue. IF there is no demand then you are stuck or sell for a huge lost. So Disney is getting the last laugh.

I don't really purchase anything anymore. I'm more than willing as a consumer to make the purchase, but I find nothing of interest nor do I find anything that I know won't be there the next time.
That is exactly what is happening with me. I have money but there is nothing there I see worth it. So DVC members might be doing the same. They stay at Disney but end up at Universal or Sea World.

jakeman

Disclaimer: I'm not a DVC member or do I have an opinion about DVC owning.

However a DVC member money is taken every year. I have not seen the contract, but I doubt you can just stop paying a yearly fee. You either have to sell or pay. There is no giving it back. It becomes a Supply and Demand issue. IF there is no demand then you are stuck or sell for a huge lost. So Disney is getting the last laugh.
I see your point but the yearly fee is not profit for Disney, it is maintainance and dues for the timeshare.

So while you are stuck with it, it's not going into Iger's pocket.

Computer Magic

Remember, only part of the profit of DVC is in the initial investment and yearly maintenance fees. If they continue to put out a stale product, DVC owners will stop visiting WDW. That means TWDC won't get the money from their ticket, souvenir, and food purchases.

There also is the chance that those disinterested individuals will sell their memberships (thereby becoming competitors of DVC via the resale market), which is also not in TWDC's interests.

Even worse, there is the chance that the potential DVC market will shrink, as the young demographic that begins to enter "DVC purchasing" age won't see DVC as something in which they want to invest due to a declining product.

Overall, I see DVC as a positive for WDW, as it brings the audience closer (closer, not the same) into line with DLR's, and thus, the parks should start to cater more to repeat visitors (as DLR does). Doesn't mean it'll happen, but that's how, in my opinion, it should happen.

So, hopefully, this new union will bring us more management in the vein of DLR, and not further "Rasuloization" of the parks.
True DVC owners have a sunk cost each year. So they will visit. However they could use those points for ABD or Hawaii in afew years. But that is not the best places to use points.

It should happen, but Disney has DVC money each year. DVC owners can't just stop paying. If it becomes stale , DVC owners will stay at the resort and go elsewhere to spend money. I had move fun my last trip at the resort then the theme parks. The only money I spent or merchandise was from the Disney Rewards Card.

I see DVC as locking in the visitors so what incentive is there? DVC owners have to pay or sell to someone. Disney can milk this for 50 years.

Computer Magic

I see your point but the yearly fee is not profit for Disney, it is maintainance and dues for the timeshare.

So while you are stuck with it, it's not going into Iger's pocket.
It is a profit. You pay at least $15,000 up front, more if you take out a Disney "shark" loan. You pay at least $2,000 a year in fees, The total per year is about $2,500 to stay in a room for 5 days that doesn't have daily housekeeping. Sounds like a profit to me.

Out of pocket over 50 years is at least 115,000 if there is no loan.

jakeman

True DVC owners have a sunk cost each year. So they will visit. However they could use those points for ABD or Hawaii in afew years. But that is not the best places to use points.

It should happen, but Disney has DVC money each year. DVC owners can't just stop paying. If it becomes state, DVC owners will stay at the resort and go elsewhere to spend money. I had move fun my last trip at the resort then the theme parks. The only money I spent or merchandise was from the Disney Rewards Card.

I see DVC as locking in the visitors so what incentive is there? DVC owners have to pay or sell to someone. Disney can milk this for 50 years.
In addition to my post above, the points can be used out of the Disney resorts, and while admittedly quite cumbersome, can still provide the value.

For example when we bought in the overal point breakdown was about $4 a point. If we wanted to stay in Normandy, France for a week it is about 120 points (off the top of my head). So a week in a villa in France is about $480.

Just a disclaimer that is all off the top of my head so I could be off by a few hundred either way.

Captain Chaos

It is a profit. You pay at least $15,000 up front, more if you take out a Disney "shark" loan. You pay at least $2,000 a year in fees, The total per year is about $2,500 to stay in a room for 5 days that doesn't have daily housekeeping. Sounds like a profit to me.

Out of pocket over 50 years is at least 115,000 if there is no loan.

Can I ask you what fees for DVC you are talking about? I am a DVC owner and no where am I paying DIsney $2000.00 a year in fees. I am not sure where you are getting your figures from. $15,000 up front?? When and where do you put $15,000 up front?? You have to leave a deposit and closing fees of course... If you took the price of points, $120 a point, for the minimum points, 160, the total is $19,200. You only have to put down 10% of that, which would be $1,920. Not even close to the $15,000 you claim has to come out up front. And the maintenance fees are only a few bucks per point. Even at $10.00 a point, which it isn't, that only comes to $960.

jakeman

I don't pay $2000 in fees. I pay about $900 and that money goes to maintainance of the properties. Kind of like a homeowners.

If you go through a DVC presentation they do the math to give you the overall dollar per point amount, based on the number of years in your contract, your initial pay out, plus the projected increase in yearly dues.

They provide a simple way to see if the value is there for the family. You can keep that dollar per point amount in mind when making your reservations to see if you are getting the value you think you should.

EDIT: I should also add that we have 200 points and if we budget them right we can spend almost 2 full weeks at Disney a year.

Computer Magic

I don't want to turn this into a DVC thread. My opinion is DVC has contributed to Disney becoming stale as they will have repeat visitors because they locked you into a 50 year contract. They don't have to make an effort in the theme parks to have repeat visitors. That fact you are a DVC member makes you a repeat visitor

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom