Disney plans resorts reorganization, layoffs

Captain Chaos

I don't pay $2000 in fees. I pay about $900 and that money goes to maintainance of the properties. Kind of like a homeowners.

If you go through a DVC presentation they do the math to give you the overall dollar per point amount, based on the number of years in your contract, your initial pay out, plus the projected increase in yearly dues.

They provide a simple way to see if the value is there for the family. You can keep that dollar per point amount in mind when making your reservations to see if you are getting the value you think you should.

EDIT: I should also add that we have 200 points and if we budget them right we can spend almost 2 full weeks at Disney a year.

I have 240 points (140 at SSR and 100 at BLT). My yearly maintenance fee does not pass $700.00. No where near the $2000 he claims... I say, before bashing something, get the facts straight or else you'll be proved wrong.

Captain Chaos

I don't want to turn this into a DVC thread. My opinion is DVC has contributed to Disney becoming stale as they will have repeat visitors because they locked you into a 50 year contract. They don't have to make an effort in the theme parks to have repeat visitors. That fact you are a DVC member makes you a repeat visitor

Not true. WDW has become stale because of the leadership in place there. They play to the bean counters in Glendale. Has nothing to do with the DVC. Remember, DVC members do not have to use their points in WDW. They can go elsewhere, thus taking money AWAY from WDW's bottomline.

jakeman

I don't want to turn this into a DVC thread. My opinion is DVC has contributed to Disney becoming stale as they will have repeat visitors because they locked you into a 50 year contract.
Maybe, that remains to be seen. With the expansion of DVC to non-park locations, it is (in my opinion) becoming apparent that the Walt Disney Company sees DVC as a seperate entity rather than a complement to their theme parks.

To tie it back to this thread, I don't see (or overlooked) any mention of DVC being put under this park umbrella.
I have 240 points (140 at SSR and 100 at BLT). My yearly maintenance fee does not pass $700.00. No where near the $2000 he claims... I say, before bashing something, get the facts straight or else you'll be proved wrong.
Yeah, I was estimating on the high side since I don't have my bills in front of me.

Captain Chaos

Maybe, that remains to be seen. With the expansion of DVC to non-park locations, it is (in my opinion) becoming apparent that the Walt Disney Company sees DVC as a seperate entity rather than a complement to their theme parks.

To tie it back to this thread, I don't see (or overlooked) any mention of DVC being put under this park umbrella.
Yeah, I was estimating on the high side since I don't have my bills in front of me.

My numbers may be on the low side... But, regardless, neither of us pay close to $2,000.00 in fees... LoL...

And the DVC is a different monster... Not part of the parks, per se.

jakeman

My numbers may be on the low side... But, regardless, neither of us pay close to $2,000.00 in fees... LoL...

And the DVC is a different monster... Not part of the parks, per se.
I agree.

I have a feeling over the next 10-15 years we will be seeing DVC locations pop up in more and more non-park locations.

fosse76

You are right on all accounts, union protection doesn't mean they can't fire me. I also agree that they will not offer buyouts to front line CM's. With that said, they simply can't fire CM's without just cause, you should know that. My record card has more GSF cards than Call Ins, I haven't had a reprimand for attendance since my CP back in 2004. I have had no issues with management or other CM's in any area that I have worked, so no one has an ax to grind against me. Simply put, they have no evidence to fire me, they can only lay me off due to the economy, and of course layoff means 6 months compensation, that is what I am looking for. If they try to fire me due to the economy without just cause, then I'll be getting a lawyer. They can layoff anyone at any time, but Disney is not exempt from federal law. If they have to layoff, they have to provide the compensation.

Does your union contract contain a provision that employees who are laid off are entitled to 6 months compensation? Because if not there is absolutely no law that requires that type of compensation. And Federal law requires a Company to negotiate with a union if employees form a union, but it does not spell out what the final terms of agreement should be. While the government has oversight of employers who employ union members (through the NLRB), most actions between employee and employer fall under contract law. The mere act of firing without just cause is not a Federal violation (most states are "at-will"). There are very few unions that are able to negotiate a just cause provision...most are federal employee unions.

wedway71

Hmmmm,

I guess I always try to pull some positive out of a negative situation.

It might be kind of cool for some of the Execs especially in Merchandise, to now be able to have their hand not only in WDW but in DL as well.

I would love that, but thats just me.

markjohns1

This reorg sounds perfect, especially if you're a fan of 1) homogenous merchandising and 2) cloned attractions.
I'm hoping this may translate to cloned ride systems. Having no clue what kind of blue sky plans are in the works at WDI or how the flow of money worked in the old organizational structure, I'm wondering if there's some cutting edge ride systems that have gotten the shelf because it was too big of an investment for DLR or WDW to do on their own. It wouldn't necessarily have to translate to cloned attractions (Toy Story Mania) but maybe cloned ride systems with different theming (Indiana Jones @ DLR vs. Dinosaur @ AK).

MousDad

I'm hoping this may translate to cloned ride systems. Having no clue what kind of blue sky plans are in the works at WDI or how the flow of money worked in the old organizational structure, I'm wondering if there's some cutting edge ride systems that have gotten the shelf because it was too big of an investment for DLR or WDW to do on their own. It wouldn't necessarily have to translate to cloned attractions (Toy Story Mania) but maybe cloned ride systems with different theming (Indiana Jones @ DLR vs. Dinosaur @ AK).

Yeah, but Jay did make a point of referring to the success of cloning TSMM. But I agree, cloned systems are a different animal.

jt04

You know I was just thinking yesterday how easy it would be to turn the new LM ride system into a "Princess and the Frog" ride. I really think it could be the biggest animation feature since TLK. It has all the elements of a truly classic Disney movie from what I have seen. The art work is stunning! If the songs and soundtrack are of equal quality then I think it could seriously be "Best Picture" material.

I think they would save a lot of time by starting the ride design ASAP.:)

SirGoofy

You know I was just thinking yesterday how easy it would be to turn the new LM ride system into a "Princess and the Frog" ride. I really think it could be the biggest animation feature since TLK. It has all the elements of a truly classic Disney movie from what I have seen. The art work is stunning! If the songs and soundtrack are of equal quality then I think it could seriously be "Best Picture" material.

From what I've heard, Rapunzel will blow PatF out of the water.:D

jt04

From what I've heard, Rapunzel will blow PatF out of the water.:D

Possibly, but Rapunzel isn't this year is it?

Rapunzel? Really? :ROFLOL:

Edit (I just read about the Rapunzel movie): Hmmm, CGI that looks hand drawn or like an oil painting? Now THAT sounds awesome! Sounds like a game changer in animation. Maybe we will see the unlimited potential of CGI here. INTERESTING!

SirGoofy

Yea, Rapunzel isn't coming out for a while. I'm just pumped that Disney is returning to it's hand drawn roots with PatF, while at the same time pushing the limits of animation with Rapunzel.

Hopefully this creativity and risk taking carries over to the parks.

jt04

Yea, Rapunzel isn't coming out for a while. I'm just pumped that Disney is returning to it's hand drawn roots with PatF, while at the same time pushing the limits of animation with Rapunzel.

Hopefully this creativity and risk taking carries over to the parks.

Yep.

I'm confident it will.

HMF

This orlando sentinel article is the best news I have heard since Steve Jobs & John Lasseter came aboard at the company. I think its not enough thouhg Iger needs to fire the REAL dead wood like Rasolu, crofton, weiss, holmes, and grier.
This article basicly say's that the "Disney Parks" trend will continue. Why is that good news? Edi-If Al Lutz thinks this news is good I will trust him.

yep!!! expect the service to drop badly.. us pampered guest wont recieve the same service as now if they do these layoffs!!! but hey i understand..i work for the government and it sucks even we are being affected by this,and not to mention my wifes a teacher!!!:eek: hey as long as the park stays open at least some people will still be employed! disney is pretty smart when it comes to budgeting>>>if thats a word in the dictionary!lol
i really think if you are unhappy with what you do for a living,then you shouldnt do it at all...but i really dont see how someone could get tired of being around the magic????:shrug: well thanks for being honest though i respect that...

Disney05

That's what I'm worried about, CM's completely disgusted and taking it out on guests. I'm not expecting totally rude and non caring CM's, which may happen from time to time, but I think we as guests will have to rely more on ourselves to make sure the magic is there.

HMF

Personally I wouldn't mind seeing attractions that appear in Cali also appear and Florida and vise-versa. What's wrong with that? I'm sure that a very large portion of people who go to these parks have never experienced both. Also as they said it cuts down on development costs which allows them to apply the project in multiple locations, which IMO is a win.
I don't have a problem with "Cloning" major attractions. Many Disneyland people get upset because they want everything to be unique to DL. However most of the "clones" are not exactly the same in each park. there are many unique features in each different version. I agree that cloning every single Attraction is a bad idea. but if it's a good attraction than go ahead.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom