Disney Parks to Wipe Hands Clean of Guests in Response to Flu Concerns

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
In the States our freedoms are defined by the Constitution. A truly free society under a Constitution specifically designed to protect individual freedoms, will lead to a society that self governs and is more stable.

As those freedoms have become subverted and bastardized, we have become not only less free but less safe.

And history proves it.

Free to do what though? Id argue that the majority of socety is freer now than it was when the constitution was drafted. I accept that some of the steps taken in the name of security could be shown to have other more sinister motives but Id argue that it depends on where you stand on the political spectrum as to what steps are deemed excessive.

The media like you being scared and angry, its good for ratings. But dont trust any outlet owned by Rupert Murdoch, his organs are at the centre of the dumbing down of society as I believe he has his own objectives to turn the clock back to before the enlightenment and the inspiration for your constitution. :animwink:

The Mom

Premium Member
I dunno ... in 1975 we could let kids play outside til all hours without fear they'd be raped and killed ... we didn't have to worry about them getting picked up by a predator on the Internet ... we didn't have to worry about an angry schoolmate bringing in an AK47 and slaughtering dozens of people ... we didn't have to worry about 'evildoers' flying planes into buildings ... and we didn't even have to be chained to the world 24/7 with such wonders as the web, cell phones (with web access) and the like.

Of course, there were bad things too ... like being on a plane where people could smoke (let's not even talk restaurants), most people didn't believe in seat belts and cars didn't have airbags (and there were some that simply 'sploded if you dented them, like the Ford Pinto).

But the MK sure seemed a whole lot better!:xmas::xmas::xmas:

But if you read my post, I stated that children WERE getting abducted, raped, and killed in 1975, in numbers equal to, or even greater (at least locally) so it WASN'T safer back then - we just didn't hear about it 24/7 so we weren't in a panic. Or perhaps we (or our parents) should have been worrying all along. :shrug:

WDW1974

In the States our freedoms are defined by the Constitution. A truly free society under a Constitution specifically designed to protect individual freedoms, will lead to a society that self governs and is more stable.

As those freedoms have become subverted and bastardized, we have become not only less free but less safe.

And history proves it.

Yes. Dare I say, I agree.

But see our Constitution has been thrown asunder by something called the Patriot Act ... an evil, vile piece of scary legislation that was thrown out when people were living in fear and folks prayed on it. And our Congress followed W like sheep.

It's very easy to define 'evildoers' as people who would fly jetliners into buildings murdering thousands.

It gets much more dicey when the government gets to decide who is an 'evildoer' based on what their political views may be, what freedoms they support etc ...:xmas::xmas::xmas:

WDW1974

Free to do what though? Id argue that the majority of socety is freer now than it was when the constitution was drafted. I accept that some of the steps taken in the name of security could be shown to have other more sinister motives but Id argue that it depends on where you stand on the political spectrum as to what steps are deemed excessive.

The media like you being scared and angry, its good for ratings. But dont trust any outlet owned by Rupert Murdoch, his organs are at the centre of the dumbing down of society as I believe he has his own objectives to turn the clock back to before the enlightenment and the inspiration for your constitution. :animwink:

You think?:)

Of course, CNN and MSNBC and CNBC are just as bad.

And even legit media has fallen apart in this country.

For example, when the far right nutjobs in this country claimed that healthcare for all would mean 'death panels for granny', the REAL media should have stood up and simply said -- THESE FOLKS ARE LYING TO YOU!

It's scary when lies and deception are taken as truth by the folks we entrust to keep the powers that be honest.
:xmas:

WDW1974

But if you read my post, I stated that children WERE getting abducted, raped, and killed in 1975, in numbers equal to, or even greater (at least locally) so it WASN'T safer back then - we just didn't hear about it 24/7 so we weren't in a panic. Or perhaps we (or our parents) should have been worrying all along. :shrug:

I would guess that in some places (especially big cities) that more children were being victimized back then.

But I think overall, and you'd have to look at FBI studies etc, violent crime is much higher in the 00s than the 70s.

I don't recall people shooting co-workers en masse ... or road rage leading to shootings ... or even the violent outbursts I witness at malls or even Disney theme parks.

Don't get me wrong, I am not idealizing the 70s ... but I think in some ways they were safer.:xmas:

Ashitaka

I would guess that in some places (especially big cities) that more children were being victimized back then.

But I think overall, and you'd have to look at FBI studies etc, violent crime is much higher in the 00s than the 70s.

I don't recall people shooting co-workers en masse ... or road rage leading to shootings ... or even the violent outbursts I witness at malls or even Disney theme parks.

Don't get me wrong, I am not idealizing the 70s ... but I think in some ways they were safer.:xmas:

New York City Crime Statistics:
Year / Violent Crimes / Murders
1978 / 149,257 / 1,826
2008 / 77,585 / 836

In NYC, we are currently MUCH safer than we were in the crime-ridden 1970's and the crack-fueled 1980's.

Phonedave

Thats the key. You don't recall it because it was not being blogged, broadcast, tweeted, posted, texted, and printed.

People had this thing called a newspaper and there was this program called the news (as opposed to todays specialized news).

You had a much smaller sphere in which you operated. I know things were going on in the 70's and early 80's across the country that did not get the local coverage that you get today.

Heck, when that clown jumped off the ship and was picked up by the DCL, there was a person tweeting it "live" from the ship. 15 years ago you would not have heard about it until the ship got to port, and maybe not even then. Today, it's all over the country 10 minutes after it happend.

-dave

The Mom

Premium Member
To get back on topic :

I see nothing wrong with WDW encouraging people to keep their hands clean, and if it takes a flu scare to remind people of the importance and benefits of frequent handwashing, so be it. ;)

Ashitaka

These sanitizers are going up in a lot of others places besides WDW.

On our recent trip to Texas, we came across a couple of them as we exited a tour of the Natural Bridge Cavern. I went straight for it but it turned out they were both empty. Fortunately my gf had a small bottle of it in her bag (it comes in handy on NYC subways).

She offered some to a couple of other women that had been on the same tour as us. At first they said no thanks, but changed their minds once I noted that all 25 of the kids in the school group that was ahead of us were grabbing onto the same railings we had to hold onto in the wet, slippery areas of the cavern.

I don't tend to be too paranoid about such things, but sometimes I do want to get my hands clean and a restroom is just not near enough to go get them thoroughly washed in a timely manner.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom