Disney Parks to Wipe Hands Clean of Guests in Response to Flu Concerns

Testtrack321

Swine flu has killed, yearly, slight more people than leprosy. The regular flu kills significantly more.

Am I the only one scared about all these sanitizes being installed? We're preparing and spreading germs and bacteria that are immune to traditional remedies. This is scary stuff here.

kimmychad

Does Disney know that the Flu has been around for centuries? Why now all of a sudden? The so-called swine flu is no more contagious than the regular flu (and more people die from the regualr flu than from "swine flu").

It really is amazing we've lasted this long as we didn't have hand sanitizer up until a couple years ago. and those wipes walmart provides for their carts are amazing, killed a few million germs today alone.

but then, I'm now spending every waking minute disinfecting this or that. hugging the family has proved too dangerous and handshakes are a big no-no, I just say "hi" from 20 feet away.

WDWiz318

It really is amazing we've lasted this long as we didn't have hand sanitizer up until a couple years ago. and those wipes walmart provides for their carts are amazing, killed a few million germs today alone.

but then, I'm now spending every waking minute disinfecting this or that. hugging the family has proved too dangerous and handshakes are a big no-no, I just say "hi" from 20 feet away.

I agree, look where we were just a few years ago & now look where we are with all this today. I think it's a good idea that the parks have all the dispencers around but I think it's also CYA for them.

kimmychad

Swine flu has killed, yearly, slight more people than leprosy. The regular flu kills significantly more.

Am I the only one scared about all these sanitizes being installed? We're preparing and spreading germs and bacteria that are immune to traditional remedies. This is scary stuff here.

Don't tell anyone, but the strongest sanitizers we use in hospitals don't kill some of the more dangerous forms of bacteria, like c-diff, its spores are resistant. The only thing we're doing is killing off the weaker germs while the stronger ones survive, the true test of medicine will be in a couple years when we don't have medicines strong enough.
people that take antibiotics run the risk of killing the good germs in the body and leaving themselves open to a stronger infection.

http://www.drheise.com/antibiotics.htm

mickeymatt

Don't tell anyone, but the strongest sanitizers we use in hospitals don't kill some of the more dangerous forms of bacteria, like c-diff, its spores are resistant. The only thing we're doing is killing off the weaker germs while the stronger ones survive, the true test of medicine will be in a couple years when we don't have medicines strong enough.
people that take antibiotics run the risk of killing the good germs in the body and leaving themselves open to a stronger infection.

http://www.drheise.com/antibiotics.htm

It is true that hand sanitizeres (alcohol scrubs) do not kill Clostridium Difficile spores. Only handwashing can rid your hands of those but C. Dif. is not that deadly in a normal healthy population. Alcohol sanitizers are extremely efficacious in killing HIV, all the hepatitis, and pretty much all viruses. Hand sanitizer also kills many of the "more dangerous forms of bacteria" like Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) and other super bugs. I agree (and research articles seem to point out) that overuse of antibiotics is leading to more antibiotic resistant bacterias. This has nothing to do with viruses which is what we are most concerned with this time of year. Also this has nothing to do with hand sanitizers for much the same reason that hand washing has nothing to do with creating these superbugs.

Holistic and chiropractic medicine has its place but you cannot categorically do away with antibiotics. And it is certainly no alternative to proper hand hygiene.:)

Montyboy

Sure we’ve been around for thousands of years as a species, but for most of it, the average person was lucky to see 35 years old. I say go crazy - wash your hands, wear your seatbelt, and see your dentist. Disney added a convenience.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
d_1.jpg
im ready to go

valleyfan

We are bringing hand sanitizer with us next month along with wipes and are going to try to keep our kids from touching everything and hanging on rails in lines and so forth.:xmas:

larryl9797

And it is certainly no alternative to proper hand hygiene.:)

This is the quote of the thread!
And let me add "Proper Cough and Sneeze containment." goes a long way too!

And while we are on this subject... Do you think those toilet paper tushie gaskets are a waste? I think that the people fiddling with those stupid things on the toilet probably stirs up more creepie crawlies than it protects against.

There is no substitute for proper hand washing.

my 2 cents :)

heartodisney

As a medical person in a critical care area, we have seen our increase in H1N1 patients..and it is really not very good, yes, the media has done some overinflation in it's coverage. That being said, if it were NOT reported, there would be outcries that it was NOT being covered..just keep washing your hands, covering sneezing and coughing, seeing your M.D. soon enough and do not go out in crowds if you are sick! I give kudos to any organization that will teach employees and guest on taking care of themselves and others. I hope that Disney will contiune this and also give employees small pocket handsanitzers.

The Mom

Premium Member
A generation ago we didn't have 24 hour news stations. Since they broadcast 24 hours, they have to find more news items. Stories that used to be limited to a local audience are now national news stories.

A recent example was the little girl who was killed here walking home from school. In 1975, they had 5 girls under the age of 12 disappear within a few months under similar circumstances (walking from school, the store, etc), but the rest of the country didn't hear about it. So, things are not more dangerous, we just hear more about them.

WDW1974

A generation ago we didn't have 24 hour news stations. Since they broadcast 24 hours, they have to find more news items. Stories that used to be limited to a local audience are now national news stories.

A recent example was the little girl who was killed here walking home from school. In 1975, they had 5 girls under the age of 12 disappear within a few months under similar circumstances (walking from school, the store, etc), but the rest of the country didn't hear about it. So, things are not more dangerous, we just hear more about them.

I dunno ... in 1975 we could let kids play outside til all hours without fear they'd be raped and killed ... we didn't have to worry about them getting picked up by a predator on the Internet ... we didn't have to worry about an angry schoolmate bringing in an AK47 and slaughtering dozens of people ... we didn't have to worry about 'evildoers' flying planes into buildings ... and we didn't even have to be chained to the world 24/7 with such wonders as the web, cell phones (with web access) and the like.

Of course, there were bad things too ... like being on a plane where people could smoke (let's not even talk restaurants), most people didn't believe in seat belts and cars didn't have airbags (and there were some that simply 'sploded if you dented them, like the Ford Pinto).

But the MK sure seemed a whole lot better!:xmas::xmas::xmas:

jt04

I dunno ... in 1975 we could let kids play outside til all hours without fear they'd be raped and killed ... we didn't have to worry about them getting picked up by a predator on the Internet ... we didn't have to worry about an angry schoolmate bringing in an AK47 and slaughtering dozens of people ... we didn't have to worry about 'evildoers' flying planes into buildings ... and we didn't even have to be chained to the world 24/7 with such wonders as the web, cell phones (with web access) and the like.

Of course, there were bad things too ... like being on a plane where people could smoke (let's not even talk restaurants), most people didn't believe in seat belts and cars didn't have airbags (and there were some that simply 'sploded if you dented them, like the Ford Pinto).

But the MK sure seemed a whole lot better!:xmas::xmas::xmas:

That is because back in the day evil was called evil and treated as such. Now if somebody calls evil by it's name they are mocked or worse. As you seem to do with your "evildoer" quotations. Hmm, perhaps you are more part of the problem than part of the cure :shrug:

Funny we were actually safer when society had more freedom. Could there possibly be a correlation? Hmmmm :veryconfu

That is such a good question I have to ask it again in a different way. Could the fewer individual freedoms we have correlate to being less safe? :eek:

Food for thought my wdwmagic friends. Food for thought.

FREEDOM WORKS. :)

jt04

But who gets to define it?

In the States our freedoms are defined by the Constitution. A truly free society under a Constitution specifically designed to protect individual freedoms, will lead to a society that self governs and is more stable.

As those freedoms have become subverted and bastardized, we have become not only less free but less safe.

And history proves it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom