Disney Parks to Wipe Hands Clean of Guests in Response to Flu Concerns

DVCMBR05

Original Poster
Disney Parks will be deploying hand sanitizer dispensers in common locations throughout the resorts.

Mystic

This is the official word from Disney via their Disney Parks Blog...

Just like you, Disney Parks is working hard to make guests and cast members aware of steps that they can take to prevent the spread of the flu. It’s just part of our ongoing commitment to our Guests’ health and safety.
You should know that over the past several months, a Disney Parks’ team has been monitoring the developments regarding the spread of the H1N1 flu. The team has long-standing relationships with local health officials and we’ve continued to use their guidance to evaluate and, if appropriate, adjust our operations.

Over the next couple weeks, you’ll notice some health-related enhancements, on top of our already rigorous cleaning and sanitation standards. Bulk hand sanitizers are being placed in high-traffic guest areas, including theme park entrances, hotel lobbies and near high-volume character “meet-and-greet” locations. Our parks have already implemented more frequent cleaning of “high-touch” surfaces such as drinking fountains and telephones.

As a reminder, measures recommended by the CDC to prevent the spread of flu will be included in our event guide brochures and personal hand sanitizer will be made available for purchase at most merchandise locations.

We’ll continue to rely on the guidance of local, national and international public health officials to do our part to prevent the spread of the flu.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Wash your hands, use the sanitizer, and watch out for drinking fountains. Sounds like good old common sense to me.....

fosse76

Wash your hands, use the sanitizer, and watch out for drinking fountains. Sounds like good old common sense to me.....

Does Disney know that the Flu has been around for centuries? Why now all of a sudden? The so-called swine flu is no more contagious than the regular flu (and more people die from the regualr flu than from "swine flu").

dreamfinder

Does Disney know that the Flu has been around for centuries? Why now all of a sudden? The so-called swine flu is no more contagious than the regular flu (and more people die from the regualr flu than from "swine flu").

Blame the media. The media hypes it up, continuously talks about a new death, or x number of cases in this state, or that state hasn't gotten their vaccines yet. So when Joe Jones comes to Disney, he wants to know what they have done to keep his precious snowflakes safe. So Disney rolls out anti bac, and makes everyone feel better. They can say that they put out measures for their guests safety.

NewfieFan

Yes, but the swine flu is new and is in pandemic mode! And yes the regular flu kills more a year but the difference is who it's killing. Swine flu seems to be targeting the young to middle aged adult who are otherwise seemingly healthy!

We have a lot of seriously ill people here in NL, Canada and we've lost 4 young adults already in a pretty small area. This is a big deal!

And trust me you don't want this flu. Both myself and my daughter have had H1N1 and it is not nice!!!

mickeymatt

I think it long overdue. I would like to see it be a permanant fixture. We went in Sept and carried some hand sanitizer with us. For kids, it is much easier to use that than to try to get them to a sink try to reach it and avoid touching everything in the bathroom. Great move WDW!

TP2000

Here is SoCal, a San Diego news radio station announced that Disneyland had just secured enough Swine Flu vaccine shots for all of the 20,000 Cast Members that work there.

If Disneyland is giving Swine Flu shots to the CM's, I'm sure WDW will be doing this too. Sounds like a good idea to me, considering how many people CM's come in contact with in a single day. :sohappy:

Tom

Beta Return

It IS equally contagious....and it IS just another version of the flu (we already have many versions of the flu floating around)....but its effects tend to be more severe, and more deadly to those with weaker immune system and/or certain conditions.

The media isn't helping the case any. People are scared because only H1N1 cases are reported on the news and thus is seems overbearing. If the news also covered every case of "the flu", there would be no news except "flu news". The deaths caused by H1N1 are still minor compared to deaths from other flu's and other illnesses and diseases. In the big picture, H1N1 is minuscule.

I think Disney should keep these gel dispensers out all the time though. I'd use them every time I came out of a ride!

mickeymatt

Seriously....It kinda looks cheap. And unthemed. Meh. Can't we just wash our hands in the Bathroom?:rolleyes::lol:
Yes we can. But have you seen the people you are in line with? Not everyone has the same hygiene standards that you or I do but studies have shown (and I can say this not because I am a nerd but because I had to do a research project on this in nursing school) that hand sanitizer is more effective than handwashing at killing pathogens. One reason is that people are more likely to use those dispensers more often and the other is that to be effective they must contain at least 60% alcohol. Hand washing is still excellent .......when done correctly

CDC:
Wash Your Hands: The Right Way

When washing hands with soap and water:
  • Wet your hands with clean running water and apply soap. Use warm water if it is available.
  • Rub hands together to make a lather and scrub all surfaces.
  • Continue rubbing hands for 15-20 seconds. Need a timer? Imagine singing "Happy Birthday" twice through to a friend.
  • Rinse hands well under running water.
  • Dry your hands using a paper towel or air dryer. If possible, use your paper towel to turn off the faucet.
  • Always use soap and water if your hands are visibly dirty.
If soap and clean water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand rub to clean your hands. Alcohol-based hand rubs significantly reduce the number of germs on skin and are fast-acting.
When using an alcohol-based hand sanitizer:
  • Apply product to the palm of one hand.
  • Rub hands together.
  • Rub the product over all surfaces of hands and fingers until hands are dry.
Side note.... smell your hands when you get off of splash mountain.....bleh!

EPCOT Explorer

Yes we can. But have you seen the people you are in line with? Not everyone has the same hygiene standards that you or I do but studies have shown (and I can say this not because I am a nerd but because I had to do a research project on this in nursing school) that hand sanitizer is more effective than handwashing at killing pathogens. One reason is that people are more likely to use those dispensers more often and the other is that to be effective they must contain at least 60% alcohol. Hand washing is still excellent .......when done correctly

CDC:
Wash Your Hands: The Right Way

When washing hands with soap and water:
  • Wet your hands with clean running water and apply soap. Use warm water if it is available.
  • Rub hands together to make a lather and scrub all surfaces.
  • Continue rubbing hands for 15-20 seconds. Need a timer? Imagine singing "Happy Birthday" twice through to a friend.
  • Rinse hands well under running water.
  • Dry your hands using a paper towel or air dryer. If possible, use your paper towel to turn off the faucet.
  • Always use soap and water if your hands are visibly dirty.
If soap and clean water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand rub to clean your hands. Alcohol-based hand rubs significantly reduce the number of germs on skin and are fast-acting.
When using an alcohol-based hand sanitizer:
  • Apply product to the palm of one hand.
  • Rub hands together.
  • Rub the product over all surfaces of hands and fingers until hands are dry.
Side note.... smell your hands when you get off of splash mountain.....bleh!
Oh, I like you. :cool::lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom