Disney Parks Castles Being Removed From Property Entrance Arches

muteki

I noticed on the newest Samantha Brown special she always said "I'm at the Disney Parks at Walt Disney World" every time she referred to where she was.

I hope I'm wrong, but I take that to mean they're not quite done with that branding just yet.

Just trying to be a bit optimistic, and I haven't seen the special, but it could have been written and filmed quite a while ago.

RAXIP

Here are some old photos for comparison

2005 on Epcot Center Dr:

2006 on Epcot Center Dr:

Jan 2010:
Scorched Castle on World Dr:

CLICK TO SEE Scorched Castle on Osceola Pkwy

Currently on Epcot Center Dr:
picture.php

hpyhnt 1000

Good to hear the castles are coming down; really were getting brown and icky. They had their little run, but as usual, the classic, unadorned gate looks best, so hopefully the flags make a return as well. :)

Personally, I'd like to see them use the space on the arch supports (where the Mickey and Minnie figures are). Putting two big 40th anniversary signs there would look better IMHO then putting it on the arch. :shrug:

Biff215

Hope they at least replace the flags. Now it looks like something is missing and they probably don't want to stick with "six flags". :lookaroun

diddy_mouse

I agree that "Disney Parks" has overstayed it's welcome.

WDW and DL are two completely different entities and should remain as such. Grouping them together takes away from what makes each of the parks unique. I like the slogan "Where Dreams Come True" but it almost should stick to WDW since DL is dubbed the "Happiest Place on Earth."

I would love to see the individuality make a come back. :D

krankenstein

I agree that "Disney Parks" has overstayed it's welcome.

WDW and DL are two completely different entities and should remain as such. Grouping them together takes away from what makes each of the parks unique. I like the slogan "Where Dreams Come True" but it almost should stick to WDW since DL is dubbed the "Happiest Place on Earth."

I would love to see the individuality make a come back. :D

I agree that DL should stick with "The Happiest Place on Earth", but WDW should go back to "The Vacation Kingdom of the World".

hpyhnt 1000

I agree that DL should stick with "The Happiest Place on Earth", but WDW should go back to "The Vacation Kingdom of the World".

Hear, hear! The folks at Disney marketing need to realize that WDW is MUCH more than just theme parks (and, with that in mind, much more than just princesses and pirates in the Magic Kingdom. :lookaroun) and start marketing it that way once more.

HMF

I've always hated the brand "Disney Parks", but the logo/Castle never bothered me. :lookaroun I kinda liked it. :lol:
It's generic. It was used to market both WDW and DL despite the fact it did not really resemble any of the castles and it was a cheap way to market Disney Parks the same way they market McDonalds.

rickmusic53

Screw "Disney Parks." It's a nebulous, meaningless concept with no sense of location. Seeing a sign that says "Disney Parks" when you enter WDW is like seeing a sign that says "Europe" when you enter Germany. It's a slight to all the wonders contained in the specific place you're going to see.

WDW is a pretty nice place. Promote that. (DL too.)
Look at this one folks, another idiot.

Carolwood

Screw "Disney Parks." It's a nebulous, meaningless concept with no sense of location. Seeing a sign that says "Disney Parks" when you enter WDW is like seeing a sign that says "Europe" when you enter Germany. It's a slight to all the wonders contained in the specific place you're going to see.

WDW is a pretty nice place. Promote that. (DL too.)

AMEN Brother!

imagineer boy

I too hope this is the end of the stupid "Disney Parks" thing.

The old "Vacation Kingdom of the World" thing would be a good logo for WDW, but I always thought "Where the Magic Lives" was a good one too. But for some reason they stopped that one. :shrug:

WDW Vacationer

I too hope this is the end of the stupid "Disney Parks" thing.

The old "Vacation Kingdom of the World" thing would be a good logo for WDW, but I always thought "Where the Magic Lives" was a good one too. But for some reason they stopped that one. :shrug:
Magic moved out and sold its home to Dreams.

:lookaroun:lol:

RAXIP

As of this evening, the Castle was still up on the Western Way entrance archway.

This makes me think the missing Castles are simply being cleaned/repainted. Why else whould they only remove three of the five? (there are only five gates, right?)

WDW1974

I agree. Sometimes what's oldest is best.

And other times what's oldest is just...old. :lookaroun

And sometimes what is oldest really is best ... and timeless ... and shouldn't be Walmarted.

That's what happened in 1996 when WDW decided to incorporate the 'stylized' :rolleyes: Walt Disney name into the logo. Making WDW completely corporate and losing a lot of its individuality since that script is used for countless Disney things.

Not saying the logo couldn't have been tweaked. But removing it for something very simple and basic wasn't the answer.

Oh, and the archways? I hate them.

Being someone who lived through the 70s and 80s, I wonder how folks ever found WDW with just a simple, small brown 'Welcome to Walt Disney World' sign on World Drive for almost two decades. Or a Walt Disney World Village at LBV sign at Hotel Plaza Blvd. ... I know WDW has grown. But frankly, the arches symbolize (to me) a general dumbing down of the product to toons, wishes, dreams and MAGIC! BLECH!!!!:rolleyes::eek::snore:

lazyboy97o

Oh, and the archways? I hate them.

Being someone who lived through the 70s and 80s, I wonder how folks ever found WDW with just a simple, small brown 'Welcome to Walt Disney World' sign on World Drive for almost two decades. Or a Walt Disney World Village at LBV sign at Hotel Plaza Blvd. ... I know WDW has grown. But frankly, the arches symbolize (to me) a general dumbing down of the product to toons, wishes, dreams and MAGIC! BLECH!!!!:rolleyes::eek::snore:
Even if prominent signs are to be kept, the existing arches are just ugly. They are a part of this horrid philosophy that bright, garish, tacky colors are somehow synonymous with the Disney name, history and legacy. Its the same reason the Transportation and Ticket Center looks like a clown vomited all over the place.

HMF

Even if prominent signs are to be kept, the existing arches are just ugly. They are a part of this horrid philosophy that bright, garish, tacky colors are somehow synonymous with the Disney name, history and legacy. Its the same reason the Transportation and Ticket Center looks like a clown vomited all over the place.
Anyone have ideas for a better one?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom