Disney once again showing why...

GoofGoof

Premium Member
My kids loved the parade. If I didn't have kids I probably would skip it. I know that it was Walt's dream that everything was for everybody, not just kids, blah, blah, blah, but the parade works for kids. They are also 2 and 5 so they didnt realize it was nothing more than a 2 hr commercial. I was cool with it since they actually sat still for an hour and I could fuel up on coffee. I think it's funny that even half of the commercials were commercials for Disney vacations. I DVR'd it so we could fast forward through the tweener singing performances and non-Disney commercials so it was actually probably right around an hour. My 5 year old went crazy when the storm troopers and vader made their appearance. No reason for more Star Wars in the parks, nobody would want that...

wedway71

Ok... Have to start of stating that I am a HUGE Disney fan. Growing up in Florida and going to WDW in 1971( I was born that year) and loving all things Disney since then. I have always made it a point to watch the Disney parade EVERY Xmas. Maybe due to being sick this holiday, I could NOT stand to watch anymore past the Back Street Boys singing. When they showed the line up for the rest of the show, I decided to turn it off. It was too teeny-Bopper-Disney Channelish for my taste. I remember it being more about the parks and less about the new trendy kid groups. I sadly turned it off and watched Xmas Story for the sixth time in a row.

NewfieFan

My kids loved the parade. If I didn't have kids I probably would skip it. I know that it was Walt's dream that everything was for everybody, not just kids, blah, blah, blah, but the parade works for kids. They are also 2 and 5 so they didnt realize it was nothing more than a 2 hr commercial. I was cool with it since they actually sat still for an hour and I could fuel up on coffee. I think it's funny that even half of the commercials were commercials for Disney vacations. I DVR'd it so we could fast forward through the tweener singing performances and non-Disney commercials so it was actually probably right around an hour. My 5 year old went crazy when the storm troopers and vader made their appearance. No reason for more Star Wars in the parks, nobody would want that...

I haven't watched it yet myself (I PVR'd it as well so I could skip the teeny boppers singing and anything else that doesn't interest us), so I can't really comment on it!

But does anybody watch the Marilyn Dennis show? That had a bit on yesterday about WDW, it was all about decorating the parks for Christmas with some NFL thrown in for good measure. I missed the first couple of minutes but managed to record the rest.

CountryBearFan

It was too teeny-Bopper-Disney Channelish for my taste. I remember it being more about the parks and less about the new trendy kid groups.

Sorry, but I kinda disagree. It's still about the parks.

Just because they may have guest performers that you personally don't care for does not mean that it's any less about the parks. The guests are just there. Period.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Sorry, but I kinda disagree. It's still about the parks.

Just because they may have guest performers that you personally don't care for does not mean that it's any less about the parks. The guests are just there. Period.

And at one time it used to be about those guests, and their park experiences. Guess that's not as important as it used to be then.....

celluloid

Well it is more the fact that there is really not anything new to show off for those special guests. "Here is (insert celebrity here) riding a ten year old+ attraction. They used to have a new ride or show every year for the celeb to go on. They just opened most of New Fantasyland so the most they could of done would of been Mermaid, but a rushed stretch for sure.

Disney's Christmas Parade still gets viewership, but nowhere near the 50 million range it used to get.

It is much more interesting to note that this is the full year that Comcast has been able to take advantage of owning and advertising Universal. The largest cable provider in the nation can run those Univerasl ads on most of its channels. That is collectivley a lot more viewership on top of also having NBC.

Also, 2015 will have NBC broadcasting The Superbowl again. Potter and a new value hotel will have just opened. That is going to be an interesting year.

CountryBearFan

Perhaps you would be happier posting at the corporate approved and sanctioned Official Disney parks blog?

You know, because of the ridiculously bad behavior that so many of you display on here (plus the fact that most of them go unpunished and remain free to continue their bullying), some of us would much rather read more positive stuff (including the so-called "corporate-approved" official blogs) than your overly-biased lies and obliviousness to reality!

Besides, the Eisner/Pressler/Harriss dark ages ended years ago, so it's time to settle down!

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Well it is more the fact that there is really not anything new to show off for those special guests. "Here is (insert celebrity here) riding a ten year old+ attraction. They used to have a new ride or show every year for the celeb to go on. They just opened most of New Fantasyland so the most they could of done would of been Mermaid, but a rushed stretch for sure.

Disney's Christmas Parade still gets viewership, but nowhere near the 50 million range it used to get.

It is much more interesting to note that this is the full year that Comcast has been able to take advantage of owning and advertising Universal. The largest cable provider in the nation can run those Univerasl ads on most of its channels. That is collectivley a lot more viewership on top of also having NBC.

Also, 2015 will have NBC broadcasting The Superbowl again. Potter and a new value hotel will have just opened. That is going to be an interesting year.
Not true. They spent a large portion of the broadcast showing DCA and Carsland. 2 little kids that I have never heard of but are famous for something (must be honey boo boo's cousins or something) took us on a tour of Carsland and RSR. Plenty new for Disney to show off...in CA.;). To be fair they did show new fantasyland too.

As a long time reader of this forum, I've usually enjoyed the exchanges here (even when I've disagreed with various views).

I do wonder, however, why some of the most vocal Disney critics here continue to spend any of their valuable time concerning themselves with Disney. They clearly find little value in the parks, and it seems evident that the product is no longer worthy of their patronage. Further, the criticism is far from constructive, as it's generally both personal in nature and snarky in tone.

As a consumer, I can't think of any product or service that I no longer care for yet continue to dwell on or criticize. I simply move on to things that better suit me. Just curious as to why some here seem unwilling to do that. Not offering criticism as much as being truly curious why anyone would waste their time with something they don't like.

lazyboy97o

As a long time reader of this forum, I've usually enjoyed the exchanges here (even when I've disagreed with various views).

I do wonder, however, why some of the most vocal Disney critics here continue to spend any of their valuable time concerning themselves with Disney. They clearly find little value in the parks, and it seems evident that the product is no longer worthy of their patronage. Further, the criticism is far from constructive, as it's generally both personal in nature and snarky in tone.

As a consumer, I can't think of any product or service that I no longer care for yet continue to dwell on or criticize. I simply move on to things that better suit me. Just curious as to why some here seem unwilling to do that. Not offering criticism as much as being truly curious why anyone would waste their time with something they don't like.
If you were really a long time reader then surely you would have seen one of the many times in which this ridiculous question has been answered.

If you were really a long time reader then surely you would have seen one of the many times in which this ridiculous question has been answered.
It's far from a "ridiculous question" to wonder why people continue to criticize something which they no longer care for or agree with. As I said, when I'm unsatisfied as a consumer, I move on and find a better experience that suits my needs. Just curious why some choose not to do that.

lazyboy97o

It's far from a "ridiculous question" to wonder why people continue to criticize something which they no longer care for or agree with. As I said, when I'm urn satisfied as a consumer, I move on and find a better experience that suits my needs. Just curious why some choose not to do that.
And again, if you were actually a long time reader you would have seen one of the many times this question has been answered.

And again, if you were actually a long time reader you would have seen one of the many times this question has been answered.
Fair enough. I just haven't seen any answers that seemed either well reasoned or particularly thoughtful. But if your replies are representative of the consensus here, I think the answer is clear after all.

DVC4bestvacations

We always enjoy the Christmas Parade on ABC we watch it every year. But lets be realistic this is a 2 hour long commercial for the American disney Parks.

MerlinTheGoat

It's far from a "ridiculous question" to wonder why people continue to criticize something which they no longer care for or agree with. As I said, when I'm unsatisfied as a consumer, I move on and find a better experience that suits my needs. Just curious why some choose not to do that.
If you're familiar with this forum and its posters, you would know that there are very few to no people here who outright hate WDW. I'd wager the majority of us love the place. This world is not always a black or white place, it's filled with complexity that can make you feel all kinds of things. That definitely is the way I and I'm guessing most others here feel about WDW.

I love WDW and there's still a lot of greatness and potential to be had. I'm critical because in recent years there have been a lot of bad decisions and it is taking a wrong direction, especially in management. But I'm also aware that these sorts of things can change (and they may soon if Lee's info about new management ends up happening). I'm hopeful but also express criticism about the things I dislike. I'm not going to just simply walk away and completely disregard WDW as a lost cause, there's still a lot to love. But nor am I going to suck up and pretend everything is perfect either. I'm not going to choose an extreme of either love or hate. I love some aspects, I hate others.

If you ask any of the people who criticized WDW whether they still enjoy the place in some way, a lot of them would likely say yes. This include '74, and also myself. I love the place and still hold out hope for its future.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom