News Disney Not Renewing Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal with TCM ; Attraction to Close

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
I agree Marni... We should all be irritated by under investment. And yes, the direction of Epcot in concerning to me as well.

My original comment was reacting to the thought that people pay $100 a head to spend a full day at DHS. While I am sure that this happens, a vast majority of the people in that park are on a multi-day ticket.

-
You nailed it, the only reason I go is because I typically have a hopper and can usually dedicate a half day on my trips. To me its not a waste of time, but if I dedicated a full day on a base 1 day ticket then I'd be crazy.

the.dreamfinder

Epcots about 50% of what it once was. If that.

An no, that doesn't mean shoving IP in everywhere will fix it. They need to go and look back at what made Epcot so great.

EPCOT Center was designed when some of today's decision makers weren't even born.
Agree/Disagree: EPCOT can be a brand/identity on the level of Disney/Pixar/Marvel/SW

Biff215

I agree Marni... We should all be irritated by under investment. And yes, the direction of Epcot in concerning to me as well.

My original comment was reacting to the thought that people pay $100 a head to spend a full day at DHS. While I am sure that this happens, a vast majority of the people in that park are on a multi-day ticket.

-
Regardless of what guests may "actually" pay to enter a park, Disney should still be striving to provide value for the price listed at the front of that park. DHS should be as worth it as AK and Epcot, and slightly less than MK, based on current ticket prices. The updates over the past 20 years at AK show they're at least trying there. Thankfully DHS finally has some things coming, but the past decade has been a huge disappointment IMO. Closing GMR while the park struggles only adds insult to injury.

jt04

Regardless of what guests may "actually" pay to enter a park, Disney should still be striving to provide value for the price listed at the front of that park. DHS should be as worth it as AK and Epcot, and slightly less than MK, based on current ticket prices. The updates over the past 20 years at AK show they're at least trying there. Thankfully DHS finally has some things coming, but the past decade has been a huge disappointment IMO. Closing GMR while the park struggles only adds insult to injury.

They had little choice but to first invest billions into neglected infrastructure. Now they are adding the fun stuff. The horse has to go before the cart. Any other strategy would have likely caused the breakup of WDW.

Someone will write a book someday.

Biff215

They had little choice but to first invest billions into neglected infrastructure. Now they are adding the fun stuff. The horse has to go before the cart. Any other strategy would have likely caused the breakup of WDW.

Someone will write a book someday.
Maybe when you neglect things so much that they get that bad, but that never should have been allowed to happen. I'm not going to pat them on the back for that now, but to each their own.

jt04

Epcots about 50% of what it once was. If that.

An no, that doesn't mean shoving IP in everywhere will fix it. They need to go and look back at what made Epcot so great.

EPCOT Center was designed when some of today's decision makers weren't even born.

EPCOT Center was great for its day. It accomplished its purpose. Eisner recognized decades ago that it had to evolve. As do others who are not restrained by sentimentality.

It is a theme park, not a time capsule. In all due respect.

misterID

EPCOT Center was great for its day. It accomplished its purpose. Eisner recognized decades ago that it had to evolve. As do others who are not restrained by sentimentality.

It is a theme park, not a time capsule. In all due respect.
No one has suggested it remain a time capsule, but simply pointing out the creativity, originality and passion the original park had compared to what's missing today, replaced with a desperate attempt to appeal to teenagers - Imagination was an enormous disaster that had to be changed and one of EPCOT's original "sentimental" characters had to be brought back. TT was an ugly race through a warehouse who's theme had to be changed to be closer to the original park's theme. And M:S (bleh) that underperformed to expectations and budget size, that never performs at full capacity, has daily "protein spills" and comes with a barf bag.

Last edited:

MerlinTheGoat

If it evolved we wouldn't be talking about this.

It devolved.
This. And they actually did try to evolve it at first, in some ways. SSE94 (while I miss the astronauts and space station details in the top of the globe) was a great new take on the classic. And i'd also argue that The Land's 1994 rehab was another nice upgrade (except for the removal of Listen to the Land, which they could easily re-implement). And I hear an update WAS planned for Horizons similar to SSE94 prior to the Mission Space decision.

Imagination didn't even really need an update to the show elements honestly. It has a timeless quality to it. Just needed new computers and software to help iron out the ride system glitches. There's not anything conceptually that would have needed changing in the show scenes though. You could perhaps add some more modern projection tech, but nothing about the attraction was noticeably outdated. Much of World of Motion was the same, only the last scene or two where they show the "future" (most of which was projected) would have needed any alteration.

deeevo

I definitely agree but at least Micheal tried to stick with the original concept of a park about the future and culture. Iger and Chapek don't seem to care at all, They just see it as a place to slap more IP.
I visited EPCOT Center the year it opened in 1982 with a friend my age. I was 8 at the time and I remember we didn't really enjoy it because of the lack of thrill rides and "Disney Theme" and I guess being 8 we didn't get it. As I got older and went over on my own I have grown to love EPCOT for what it is and I now miss the old EPCOT Center but I understand what they were trying to do with the whole IP thing. They need butts in the park and when you are plan on charging $100 for a 3 year old to visit you need some kind of draw to be able to keep the doors open. The problem is you need to balance the IP and the vision of EPCOT Center to draw everyone and that has not happened. The IP integration has been easier and cheaper to do and once the VP's see $$ signs it's like blood in the water.

redshoesrock

If you're upset with only four rides in DHS, just wait until TSM closes so they can flip the entrance. That's going to take a little time since they're going to need to build a tunnel of sorts to get people from the exit of the original track all-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-l the way back to Toy Story Land. I dare say it might even compete with Indy in DL for the longest exit queue (maybe). All that isn't going to take just a day or two either. There's going to be a decent amount of time where DHS has THREE RIDES.

HMF

This. And they actually did try to evolve it at first, in some ways. SSE94 (while I miss the astronauts and space station details in the top of the globe) was a great new take on the classic. And i'd also argue that The Land's 1994 rehab was another nice upgrade (except for the removal of Listen to the Land, which they could easily re-implement). And I hear an update WAS planned for Horizons similar to SSE94 prior to the Mission Space decision.

Imagination didn't even really need an update to the show elements honestly. It has a timeless quality to it. Just needed new computers and software to help iron out the ride system glitches. There's not anything conceptually that would have needed changing in the show scenes though. You could perhaps add some more modern projection tech, but nothing about the attraction was noticeably outdated. Much of World of Motion was the same, only the last scene or two where they show the "future" (most of which was projected) would have needed any alteration.
If every change made in the past 20 years followed SSE94's example we would not be having this discussion.

DisneyDebRob

Epcot unfortunately will never be the beautiful and different park it was in the 80's. Nor should it. It should change , and unlike any other park in the world, it should be adventurous and challenge what it means to be a theme park.
It has grown into a park with very few new additions, refurb needed in so many places .
What is so unfortunate, it is now known to so many people as the place with the countries and festivals. Throw any festival over there and it makes money. It should have never got to that point.
I still love the park because when I am there I remember what used to be in that vacant building and what they could do in the day. Hopefully when DHS is finished, it will get its much needed love and be fantastic again.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom