News Disney Not Renewing Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal with TCM ; Attraction to Close

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
TSMM
TSL - 2 rides(more aimed at the younger generation??)

One should consider TSMM as part of TSL.

After all, Universal created Hogsmeade at the outset with just one new ride and repurposed two existing coasters to be part of the land. And as incredibly fantastic was the theming of Hogsmeade and FJ, the extremely light retheming of the two coasters, if it had been done by Disney, would have been constantly jeered on these forums.

But regardless of that, TSL was built around TSMM so that it would be part of it and be a 3-ride land.

PiratesMansion

Mickey seems pretty smart at getting guests to return. Even across generations.

I considered myself a loyal fan. I'm here now and I don't think I'll be back for a long, LONG time. There have just been problems constantly throughout the trip. Today at Magic Kingdom has been the worst day I've ever had at a Disney park. I know it used to be better, and I know of five other places around the world to better satisfy me. Or non-Disney parks that are a heck of a lot cheaper to go to instead.

Incidentally, I have a friend visiting with me now. Within the past decade, we've done Tokyo, Hong Kong, and Paris together, and we've each done Anaheim at least once. He complains about how few attractions are at most of the parks and how uninspired the resort in general is.

People notice and go elsewhere.

PiratesMansion

I just got back from WDW and had a blast, definitely wasn't mediocre for me. Had fun in HS too, even in the condition it is in. So I think what you're saying is subjective.

I can tell you, objectively, that compared to many (most?) Disney resorts around the world, Walt Disney World is an inferior product, as it exists right now, in most respects. That you defend HS "even in the condition it is in" shows that you are on some level aware of it yet you still defending them.

WildcatDen

Just wait until SWL opens and the Star Wars fanatics arrive at the park in HUGE numbers, and overwhelm the handful of shows and attractions.
a bunch of outdated shows(VoTLM, IJ Stunt Show, BatB, Fantasmic)..
By the time SWL opens I expect 2 of those to be 'different'. I mentioned earlier that 1 could be sooner, I am hearing next year for 1 and another by the close of 2019 but that one requires some infrastructure work. The other 2 should be refreshed by 2021. I also heard a rumor about a potential new show in a newish location. Serpico was pretty cryptic though on that one. Still, I really think we are trending the right way. . .

Exomonia

By the time SWL opens I expect 2 of those to be 'different'. I mentioned earlier that 1 could be sooner, I am hearing next year for 1 and another by the close of 2019 but that one requires some infrastructure work. The other 2 should be refreshed by 2021. I also heard a rumor about a potential new show in a newish location. Serpico was pretty cryptic though on that one. Still, I really think we are trending the right way. . .
I'm going to go with... VotLM for next year, and BatB for 2019 as my guess! (Presuming that rumor is true - and I am being PURELY speculative here haha.)

Kman101

Now the one closing, maybe, next year is there a replacement planned or is it just closing? Lol

HMF

That depends. Alien and Indiana Jones came out not long before GMR opened, and the dialogue was changed in the 90's to add a hint of The Sixth Sense as well.

I'd personally consider La La Land a modern classic, but that's just me.
Yes, Jason Surrell's painfully obvious Sixth Sense reference definitely hurt the ride.

Next Big Thing

Yes, Jason Surrell's painfully obvious Sixth Sense reference definitely hurt the ride.
I won't disagree that Sixth Sense is a poor choice, but you cheery-picked.

Alien and Indy were both modern classics at the time the ride was conceptualized and built, yet made the final cut for the ride, which is my point. Just because a movie is new doesn't make it any less of a classic.

WildcatDen

I'd personally consider La La Land a modern classic, but that's just me.
From what I gather, La La Land is a love it or hate it. I have not seen it yet myself, but my two daughters, one a Band/Jazz musician and the other experienced in Choir/Theater/Media Production both chalk it up as one of the worst movies they have ever paid to see. I trust their judgment and may opt to see it if it comes out on Netflix. . .

WildcatDen

Like I said, come back when you actually go to WDW. Then you might be taken a little seriously.
I was there a little over a week ago and got to ride TGMR one last time. It will be missed. I will say, however, that our outlaw was a tad geriatric which made the sketch a bit laughable. She was into it though and I give her credit for trying. . . I am hoping they auction off OZ. My Disney room could use a Lollipop Guild influence.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
From what I gather, La La Land is a love it or hate it. I have not seen it yet myself, but my two daughters, one a Band/Jazz musician and the other experienced in Choir/Theater/Media Production both chalk it up as one of the worst movies they have ever paid to see. I trust their judgment and may opt to see it if it comes out on Netflix. . .

Really, one of the worst movies they have ever seen? Might want to reconsider who's judgement you trust:p

Far from the worst movie I have ever paid for. Its not an instant classic, but its an above average movie for sure.

geekza

I think the difference between La La Land and something like the Indiana Jones films is that the Indiana Jones films were instant hits around the world. The general public knew about Indiana Jones, even if they hadn't seen the films. The character became a part of the cultural zeitgeist in a very short amount of time. Regardless of the merits of La La Land as film, it was hardly a film that was embraced by the general public. There's a difference between "well-known at the moment" and "classic." Have you seen videos of or did you ride Superstar Limo when it was at DCA? Aside from it just being a bad ride, the celebrity animatronics were dated almost as soon as they were installed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom