News Disney Not Renewing Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal with TCM ; Attraction to Close

DinoInstitute

View attachment 159483 Come on! How could you not love this?? I'm getting my fill of it while I can (besides not much else to do there haha).
Same, I rode it twice yesterday (mostly because I'll miss it, but also the rain wouldn't stop and I needed something to do:cyclops::p)

Maybe this was me appreciating it more because I know it'll be gone, but I'm really gonna miss it, it's a really nice attraction. The new TCM overlay gives it a fun Hollywood edutainment vibe I forgot about.

I really do think it's a mistake to remove this, if for no other reason than how much of a good chunk of a day it takes up for people to enjoy. Not to mention how perfectly it fits the theme:p

CaptainJackNO

I think, with all the blockbuster movies that have come out since this attraction opened, that there are many exciting possibilities for a total redo of this attraction, especially with the new technology available. Changing scenes from what's there to Titanic, Star Wars, Forrest Gump, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, Goodfellas, The Godfather, Castaway, I mean, the possibilities are endless. And instead of a movie finale have it be a massive scene of some sort, a Disney Themed scene, I hope they're open to redo instead of demolition and the addition of some new Marvel based thrill ride or something of the sort

Matt_Black

I think, with all the blockbuster movies that have come out since this attraction opened, that there are many exciting possibilities for a total redo of this attraction, especially with the new technology available. Changing scenes from what's there to Titanic, Star Wars, Forrest Gump, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, Goodfellas, The Godfather, Castaway, I mean, the possibilities are endless. And instead of a movie finale have it be a massive scene of some sort, a Disney Themed scene, I hope they're open to redo instead of demolition and the addition of some new Marvel based thrill ride or something of the sort

... Forrest Gump? This is the GREAT Movie Ride. Forrest Gump wasn't even the greatest movie that year. The Shawshank Redemption, The Lion King, Pulp Fiction, Ed Wood, etc....

GoofGoof

Premium Member
... Forrest Gump? This is the GREAT Movie Ride. Forrest Gump wasn't even the greatest movie that year. The Shawshank Redemption, The Lion King, Pulp Fiction, Ed Wood, etc....
Pulp Fiction in GMR. I'd pay to see how they could pull that off and keep it appropriate for a family ride;). I guess the gimp is out along with the chick ODing. A Samuel L Jackson AA would be awesome though.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
My point is that there are numerous films more worthy to be in GMR than Forrest Gump.
Understood. I guess it really doesn't matter since it seems like the plan is to remove the ride anyway, but I think if they did an update it might only be to a scene or 2 at most. The ride is supposed to chronical the history of the movies and highlights a few of the all time classics. I could see Star Wars added (maybe replacing Alien) but with a whole Star Wars Land right in the same park it seems unnecessary. Same goes for Avatar. Titanic could be represented but I'm not sure what it would replace. The more modern classics can and are represented in the movie at the end.

yeti

So replace "STELLA!!" with "WILSON!!"?

Matt_Black

Actually, the marathon on the Encore Channel got me thinking- how come Disney never got James Bond anywhere in Disney-MGM? Rights tied up with somebody else?

This is one of those situations where I would be sad about a closure, but let's be honest, ever since TCM got the sponsorship, the great movie ride went from a ride to a giant advertisement for TCM. I think a change might be good for the future.

RobidaFlats

Bond is more complicated than roger rabbit :)

Bond even had two branches of producers working on films separately at one time :)

While it isn't anywhere close to an actual attraction, James Bond is/was represented in two places at the Great Movie Ride: The theme is/was played in the area loop and there is/was a clip from Never Say Never Again in the end montage.

Matt_Black

While it isn't anywhere close to an actual attraction, James Bond is/was represented in two places at the Great Movie Ride: The theme is/was played in the area loop and there is/was a clip from Never Say Never Again in the end montage.

Never Say Never Again isn't an official Bond film. Doesn't count!

Biff215

I say replace the Tarzan scene to LOST! just get ABC to sponser the ride. We all know disney loves using their Ip's and technically speaking lost is owned by Disney. ^_^
But Lost isn't a movie. And having ABC as a sponsor hasn't exactly helped the Comissary... :D

Goofyernmost

Never have so many missed the intent of the GMR because of the obsession of more recent movies. Even though it appears that it will soon be history, that is the point. GMR is about the early history of movie making in Hollywood. It also was about money to some extent. I'm sure that others owned the rights to many other very good movies from the golden days of Hollywood, that basically dictated their exclusion from the ride. It wasn't about the more current movies that we are all familiar with, it was about the older ones that built Hollywood. Like I said, it no longer matters, but, at least we can remember or try to understand what the ride was about in the beginning.

Last edited:

Matt_Black

I'm sure that others owned the rights to many other very good movies from the golden days of Hollywood, that basically dictated their exclusion from the ride.

dracula-lugosi.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom