News Disney Not Renewing Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal with TCM ; Attraction to Close

sWANNISAX

In regards to the ABC stuff I always felt that the studios should have had an ABC sound stage walkthrough attraction with famous sets from their tv shows recreated that you could take a picture in. An island set from Lost, an iconic location from Grey's Anatomy, the offices of Olivia Pope, etc. It wouldn't even be that expensive to do.

Matt_Black

In regards to the ABC stuff I always felt that the studios should have had an ABC sound stage walkthrough attraction with famous sets from their tv shows recreated that you could take a picture in. An island set from Lost, an iconic location from Grey's Anatomy, the offices of Olivia Pope, etc. It wouldn't even be that expensive to do.

Well, they did have Mr. Gold's shop from Once Upon a Time over on the Streets of America.

Mike S

Never have so many missed the intent of the GMR because of the obsession of more recent movies. Even though it appears that it will soon be history, that is the point. GMR is about the early history of moving making in Hollywood. It also was about money to some extent. I'm sure that others owned the rights to many other very good movies from the golden days of Hollywood, that basically dictated their exclusion from the ride. It wasn't about the more current movies that we are all familiar with, it was about the older ones that built Hollywood. Like I said, it no longer matters, but, at least we can remember or try to understand what the ride was about in the beginning.
Raiders of the Lost Ark and Alien would be the most recent movies of the whole bunch.
dracula-lugosi.jpg

hqdefault.jpg
Funnily enough after the TCM update JAWS is specifically mentioned with a full poster shot and everything during the Indiana Jones segment of the new preshow because of Steven Spielberg's involvement in both.

At least they have Young Frankenstein in the ending montage.

Goofyernmost

Raiders of the Lost Ark and Alien would be the most recent movies of the whole bunch.
Yea, and I thought that was a bit of a sell out based on the premise of the ride. They were both way to recent. We tend to think of the Wizard of Oz as being current, but, that is only because it's shown on TV every year. I don't know why they put LA and Alien in there, but, I guess it was because it was the start of a new venue, just more recent then the others.

Magenta Panther

Never have so many missed the intent of the GMR because of the obsession of more recent movies. Even though it appears that it will soon be history, that is the point. GMR is about the early history of moving making in Hollywood. It also was about money to some extent. I'm sure that others owned the rights to many other very good movies from the golden days of Hollywood, that basically dictated their exclusion from the ride. It wasn't about the more current movies that we are all familiar with, it was about the older ones that built Hollywood. Like I said, it no longer matters, but, at least we can remember or try to understand what the ride was about in the beginning.

Precisely. Well said. I gotta shake my head at those who suggest that The Godfather and Pulp Fiction be added to the ride. I hope they're kidding. DHS' Hollywood Boulevard is themed to the 1930's and '40's, after all, and so the GMR should never be too contemporary, IMO. Maybe it should be renamed to The Great Classic Movie Ride. If it were going to stick around, that is.

Mike S

Yea, and I thought that was a bit of a sell out based on the premise of the ride. They were both way to recent. We tend to think of the Wizard of Oz as being current, but, that is only because it's shown on TV every year. I don't know why they put LA and Alien in there, but, I guess it was because it was the start of a new venue, just more recent then the others.
Not knocking Indy or Alien at all as they are both great movies but there had to be older adventure and sci-fi movies that fit the bill.

I don't mind them though.
Precisely. Well said. I gotta shake my head at those who suggest that The Godfather and Pulp Fiction be added to the ride. I hope they're kidding. DHS' Hollywood Boulevard is themed to the 1930's and '40's, after all, and so the GMR should never be too contemporary, IMO. Maybe it should be renamed to The Great Classic Movie Ride. If it were going to stick around, that is.
If they were restricted to the 30's and 40's then no Mary Poppins ;)

Magenta Panther

Not knocking Indy or Alien at all as they are both great movies but there had to be older adventure and sci-fi movies that fit the bill.

I don't mind them though.

If they were restricted to the 30's and 40's then no Mary Poppins ;)

I didn't specify that the GMR had to stick to those eras. I just said that maybe the GMR should never be too contemporary. Poppins was made in the early 60's, but is very reminiscent of the classic MGM musicals of those earlier decades, so it fits into the GMR's overall theme and character IMO.

rnese

at least the outside theming is amazing. even if its a monstrously big queue.
Seriously! It's as many steps from the beginning of the queue to the clam as it is from the beginning of the queue to the front door of the Contemporary Resort!
And I'm NOT exaggerating!

rnese

UoE is a political problem with Disney, and part of the larger "Epcot situation" - where you have an entire park facing an identity crisis. WS has it's own ball of cultural sensitivity issues when it comes to update, but "Future World" was in fact doomed from the outset unfortunately, as science and knowledge and the "future" has become so politicized. There is no way Disney can simply update UoE with new film footage, etc. and not royally alienate some segment of the population or another as energy is one of the most controversial aspects of modern times.
I've always thought they could go the whole "potential" and "kinetic" energy route. Still focused on"energy". Could have an interesting thrill ride as well.

Matt_Black

Because even at that point, both Alien and Raiders were incredibly influential films? The opening scene of Indy is one of the most iconic film openings ever, right up there with The Lion King. As for Alien, I lost count of how many times that movie got referenced on MST3K (answer- a lot).

Mike S

I didn't specify that the GMR had to stick to those eras. I just said that maybe the GMR should never be too contemporary. Poppins was made in the early 60's, but is very reminiscent of the classic MGM musicals of those earlier decades, so it fits into the GMR's overall theme and character IMO.
I know. Just some playful banter :)
Very true, I hadn't thought about that, however, and I'm not sure of this, didn't Mary Poppins come out before either of those two and by the time DHS opened it was a Disney Classic.
Yes Mary Poppins was released in 1964 and I'm sure was already considered a classic.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I shed a tear everytime I open this thread when the attraction is about celebrating Hollywood and huge influencers ... And people ask why singnifivant movie x is in there....BECAUSE it was such a huge player!

Maybe if people opened up to look into those films instead of asking why random box office hit isn't represented the attraction might actually deliver on its purpose.

Phil12

I shed a tear everytime I open this thread when the attraction is about celebrating Hollywood and huge influencers ... And people ask why singnifivant movie x is in there....BECAUSE it was such a huge player!

Maybe if people opened up to look into those films instead of asking why random box office hit isn't represented the attraction might actually deliver on its purpose.
That means that "The Producers" would be a perfect fit:

Phil12

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom