News Disney Not Renewing Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal with TCM ; Attraction to Close

MerlinTheGoat

CountryBearFan/Philip (same person) is somewhat well known in the online Disney community and apparently has some sort of mental illness. I'm not putting this out as an insult, nor do I condone mocking or making light of legitimate mental health problems, rather as a heads up for anyone unfamiliar with him in case they try to engage with him. That being said, mental illness doesn't give anyone the right to harass people without consequence. Internet trolls are all mentally ill to varying degrees anyway, scientific studies associating them with narcissism, psychopathy and sadism.

I'm sure Martin doesn't give a thought about this, being the patient gentleman he is. But I question the merits of having a member here (good OR bad mental health) who continually harasses people in basically every post they make...

Magenta Panther

"A" for effort? More like "U" for UNMAGICAL effort! I bring my little prince and princess (actually the action figures I keep on my desk) to this board to see original, creative rants! And here I find after clicking through all these links that the original complaints are being held hostage elsewhere! Not very magical!

You got prince and princess "action figures"? Now there's an image only slightly less creepy than

brony.jpg

...on the other hand, it's just as creepy. :D

DinoInstitute

Thinking about it more and more, it's still a really bad idea to close GMR before TSL opens. Because you have to figure that at some point down the road TSMM is going to have to go down as they close off Pixar Place and reroute everything in that ride back into TSL. During that time frame, there would only be three rides open. Should one of those three go down during the day as happens regularly, then only two. That's insane to think about.

Plus, I mean, while TSL won't be nearly as huge a draw as SW, it'll still bring in crowds that 6 rides may be a bit tough to handle at first.

Goofyernmost

I don't have the exact dates, but, they had a three year contract, I'm not sure but there should be nearly two years left on that contract. Other things may be open by then.

Biff215

I don't have the exact dates, but, they had a three year contract, I'm not sure but there should be nearly two years left on that contract. Other things may be open by then.
But there has been talk of potentially ending that contract early which I assume isn't crazy difficult for Disney. Pretty sure they're about halfway through the three years so waiting wouldn't be too bad either, but it will still likely close before TSL opens if this happens.

Goofyernmost

But there has been talk of potentially ending that contract early which I assume isn't crazy difficult for Disney. Pretty sure they're about halfway through the three years so waiting wouldn't be too bad either, but it will still likely close before TSL opens if this happens.
Turner isn't exactly a middle weight either. I think that Disney and Turner would have to be complete agreement for that to happen without a substantial cash outlay from Disney. (Unless, of course, Turner wants out)

Biff215

Turner isn't exactly a middle weight either. I think that Disney and Turner would have to be complete agreement for that to happen without a substantial cash outlay from Disney. (Unless, of course, Turner wants out)
True, but I would be surprised if Disney didn't have provisions in their contracts for something like this. After all, it's their attraction in their park. Obviously this would result in a financial settlement of some sort, but I would think Disney would give itself a way out in this type of situation. It may have already been negotiated when the renewal was discussed.

Of course it might be just as easy as waiting it out, especially at the speed Disney operates.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
True, but I would be surprised if Disney didn't have provisions in their contracts for something like this. After all, it's their attraction in their park. Obviously this would result in a financial settlement of some sort, but I would think Disney would give itself a way out in this type of situation. It may have already been negotiated when the renewal was discussed.

Of course it might be just as easy as waiting it out, especially at the speed Disney operates.
The provision probably states something like, if the ride closes before the contract expires,Turner gets a prorated portion of the sponsorship money back. They couldn't force Disneyto keep the ride open. The only real recourse they would have would be to ask for a portion of the money back. I find it hard to believe that Disney would be willing to return even a small portion of the money especially given they spent a chunk of it on new signage and updates to the ride when the deal was signed, but it seems like if the rumors are true that's exactly what will have to happen.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom