News Disney Not Renewing Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal with TCM ; Attraction to Close

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
God, I hope not!

IT really isn't that bad.....or that likely in the near term. I have been using VR tech the last few days. It is truly amazing how immersive the tech is. Haptic response on an individual experience level is really the ground breaking aspect of VR. After just a moment your mind abandons the idea that this is simulated environment you are in. The scope of possibilities with VR tech is truly limitless. You can have a sweaty music driven workout or crawl through a dungeon experience for hours at a time. Even those prone to motion sickness associated with 3D motion theater experiences rarely have issues with VR.

The individual experience in a group setting will be a new trend in entertainment. Your experience will be different than everyone else's because you will focus on a different nuance or element that didn't catch someone else's eye. Attraction footprints can be smaller. The thing that will limit this in the short term however is EXPENSE. The system I am using and the computer to go with it is about $3k.... The system I am looking to build is closer to $8k.... and I can't stress the next fact enough.... The systems are fragile. Step on or over twist a wire, say good bye to $800....

*1023*

@PorterRedkey I think you will LOVE FJ and all the new Wizarding World stuff....Gringott's "mummy" ride is fun too.... Be sure to save time to marvel at the details in Diagon Alley and ride the Hogwart's Express both ways....

PorterRedkey

IT really isn't that bad.....or that likely in the near term. I have been using VR tech the last few days. It is truly amazing how immersive the tech is. Haptic response on an individual experience level is really the ground breaking aspect of VR. After just a moment your mind abandons the idea that this is simulated environment you are in. The scope of possibilities with VR tech is truly limitless. You can have a sweaty music driven workout or crawl through a dungeon experience for hours at a time. Even those prone to motion sickness associated with 3D motion theater experiences rarely have issues with VR.

The individual experience in a group setting will be a new trend in entertainment. Your experience will be different than everyone else's because you will focus on a different nuance or element that didn't catch someone else's eye. Attraction footprints can be smaller. The thing that will limit this in the short term however is EXPENSE. The system I am using and the computer to go with it is about $3k.... The system I am looking to build is closer to $8k.... and I can't stress the next fact enough.... The systems are fragile. Step on or over twist a wire, say good bye to $800....

*1023*

@PorterRedkey I think you will LOVE FJ and all the new Wizarding World stuff....Gringott's "mummy" ride is fun too.... Be sure to save time to marvel at the details in Diagon Alley and ride the Hogwart's Express both ways....

Thanks, @1023, I am really looking forward to my first "real" Universal experience. When I first visited in '91 it was not ready for prime time, but now it has some of the most well-reviewed dark rides in the world. Needless to say, I am super-excited!

As for screens and VR taking a more prominent role in the parks, I hope that is well into the future. The practical sets of SSE, Pirates and HM for me will never be matched with screens. Now, I do think screen can be incorporated well into new attractions like Shanghai Pirates. , so I am not totally against screens (Mystic Manor). I do admit that I have not ridden any of the new VR coasters that seem to be popping up.

I am far more interested in augmented reality. Let me see what is physically there and add to it.

I respect your opinion @1023, but we will just have to agree to disagree on this one. :)

S 2

Leave it to Kippel to throw shade and launch into a forum hating tirade (not limited to WDWMAGIC, the hate is spread everywhere). My timing for return was excellent as usual. At least the Country Bears will get extra love for as long as he doesn't get booted. I will venture to say, they probably don't want that kind of love or attention though.

*1023*

I am still amazed at such a strong presence of this type on a Disney site! Going completely off topic to be completely hateful, juvenile and bullylish! If I ever feel myself getting to that point online or anywhere else I think I would take a break! Maybe Disney's next movie should involve trolls who live in the darkness so we can at least have a name for them, If you can't find happiness in Disney World something is wrong! LOL It's good to see positive people rising above, keep on :)

S 2

Since everyone seemed to know this person but me, I wanted to research him a little before writing him off as a complete loon. Here is what I'm seeing as his last five posts on these boards. I did not cherry-pick at all:
I'm with you on this. I can't see how they can charge people $100+ to go to DHS if they take another ride out (and an e-ticket too). The people here in the know all seem to agree that it will close before TSL opens so maybe they will add some other temporary stuff to occupy people's time, but it's almost criminal at this point to keep charging full price.

I was thinking the same thing! I had one of those Facebook sponsored by links in my feed the other day asking: WHAT ARE THE 15 BEST ATTRACTIONS AT DISNEY STUDIOS?? um.... are there 15 attractions? lol

S 2

I say replace the Tarzan scene to LOST! just get ABC to sponser the ride. We all know disney loves using their Ip's and technically speaking lost is owned by Disney. ^_^

LOST was big, but not big enough in my opinion you would still have a lot of people saying "what was that one movie?" as they exit oh yeah and when i typed that I also realize: its not a movie!!

PorterRedkey

If Disney was to retheme this ride (AND THEY WILL NOT), I think they would theme it to all Disney movies. I would be fine with this. The Great Disney Movie ride. Poppins, Raiders, and Fantasia could stay, but the focus would be on old and new Disney movies plus classic cartoons. Keep the movie theme, but with a nod to Disney.

S 2

Yea, and I thought that was a bit of a sell out based on the premise of the ride. They were both way to recent. We tend to think of the Wizard of Oz as being current, but, that is only because it's shown on TV every year. I don't know why they put LA and Alien in there, but, I guess it was because it was the start of a new venue, just more recent then the others.

I think its safe to call Indiana Jones a classic, I would even call Forest Gump a classic! I like Disney having fresh rides and ides but the Great Movie ride is such a staple that covers such a broad topic and had so many possibilities... I didn't know it hadn't seen improvements since its opening!

S 2

If Disney was to retheme this ride (AND THEY WILL NOT), I think they would theme it to all Disney movies. I would be fine with this. The Great Disney Movie ride. Poppins, Raiders, and Fantasia could stay, but the focus would be on old and new Disney movies plus classic cartoons. Keep the movie theme, but with a nod to Disney.

Maybe use some pieces from Snow Whites Adventure near the beginning since its removal caused such an uproar!?

PorterRedkey

LOST was big, but not big enough in my opinion you would still have a lot of people saying "what was that one movie?" as they exit oh yeah and when i typed that I also realize: its not a movie!!

I totally fell for the Discover Island being themed to LOST April fool's joke. I thought it would be odd to add such a massive niche attraction, but I was all in. It was sad when I realized my folly. It was in the thick of LOST and I admit I was obsessed.

LOST does make sense, I think that I can answer most questions that people felt didn't get answered. However, the last season of LOST = disappointment, even though there are a few good episodes that season.

PorterRedkey

Oh indeed the last season wasnt on par to any of the other seasons, but the ending wasn't that bad in my opinion though :3.
To me it seemed, the payoff would have been better. The additional scene with Hurley, Ben, and Walt on the Blu-ray was a better ending to me and what I was interested in. I would love to see the series with Hurley as the "Jacob" of the island with Ben as his second that the 2nd ending alluded to.
However, this has nothing to do with the closing of the GMR. Mickey is coming. Another attraction that could be better served in another location.

TeriofTerror

Oh, you sweet summer child. :)

TeriofTerror

Sure, everyone knows I am sweet and I was born in August, but I don't get your dig at me.
Like I said it is never going to happen, but the current Disney Mgmt. would like to promote Disney over MGM properties.

Sorry, if it offends you that I like/love GMR. No apologies here. :)
I adore the GMR! But @marni1971 has confirmed the change, and in Martin I trust. ;)

DinoInstitute

I can't wait to see how the regular public reacts to this being replaced.
Honestly I really can't imagine all that great... I know it was said on here that GMR has low guest satisfaction ratings, but honestly that surprises me as (nearly) everyone I've ridden it with/talked about it with agreed it was a really cool/fun experience and a classic.
And losing yet another ride in the time being is not going to go over well at all.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom