News Disney Not Renewing Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal with TCM ; Attraction to Close

brb1006

You know, these days the Pepto Bismol castle is not the saddest part of that picture...

It is the trees that are no longer there in the hub. The hub really was a lot more picturesque and park-like when it was landscaped with the trees. Remember how they used to have all kinds of little lights year-round and sparkle at night?
Looking back the tree at the hub made the Magic Kingdom much more welcoming. Does anyone remember staying at MK at night and the tress would start sparkling like pixie dust during Spectromagic's run in the 90's and the fireworks? Today you only see that effect near the flag pole but it's not the same.
3.jpg

Absimilliard

There's no reason that RNR and the area around it has to be part of Sunset Blvd. It can easily be detached and delineated as a new/different land.

This is a complete fantasy of mine, but looking at old Disney projects that never came to be, I found one that would tie Rock n Roller Coaster to Sunset Boulevard: the proposed Cops and Robbers Chase for Tokyo DisneySea. The idea was to have a pair of Wild Mouse/Compact coasters chase each other around a construction site. What I would recycle is the premise of the attraction: the line was split in two at one point with the guests on the Cops side going to the Motor Pool to pick up a pursuit car while the Robbers went to jail and then to an escape car. Imagine if everyone were robbers and the coaster was your escape from a 1930's Gangster era police station?

Sadly, it will remain a fantasy of mine.

Herbie

Echo Lake is fine as it is. Just needs some theatre attractions to make use of the theatre.

There may be plans for BH6 elsewhere. Even if they have missed the boat.

But I would think it's particularly difficult to create attractions that would benefit the park's "new" theme in an area where theme is all over the place... What would you suppose for IJ, Star Tours, and the theatres?

Bocabear

Is there any chance that with them pushinf Toy Story Land years into the future, that they might rethink the whole concept of putting a Toy Story Land in at all and maybe come up with a better idea...like they did with new Fantasyland when the response was kind of "meh"....?
Pixar Place with a sort of celebration of all things Pixar would be wonderful, but Toy Story Land is just plain tired...

clemmo

How can they justify shutting GMR before TSL opens but they can't justify shutting TOT. Of course I'm more than happy to have TOT retain its current theming, just curious as to the decision making there.

peter11435

Looking back the tree at the hub made the Magic Kingdom much more welcoming. Does anyone remember staying at MK at night and the tress would start sparkling like pixie dust during Spectromagic's run in the 90's and the fireworks? Today you only see that effect near the flag pole but it's not the same.
3.jpg
The new trees around the perimeter of the new hub all have twinkle lights in them now.

csmat99

I get your point, but they were in no real rush to open that. It was a back burner type thing.
They should have been in a rush to complete it. That is one of the few rides left and when crowded the wait times go through the roof. but wait I forgot Disney doesn't care about your experience just that they can tell Wall street that they spread that money over 7 quarters.

So wait... Guardians in Epcot is an overlay of energy... I thought that, like the proposed Mickey ride, was going to be a gut and rebuild kind of job. Instead its going to somehow feature the Guardians and ... dinosaurs? Am I reading too much into this? Am I in the entirely wrong thread.

Matt_Black

How can they justify shutting GMR before TSL opens but they can't justify shutting TOT. Of course I'm more than happy to have TOT retain its current theming, just curious as to the decision making there.

Let's be honest- ToT is FAR more popular than GMR. It's a bit like asking "Why would they shut down Swiss Family Treehouse but not Splash Mountain?"

Herbie

Let's be honest- ToT is FAR more popular than GMR. It's a bit like asking "Why would they shut down Swiss Family Treehouse but not Splash Mountain?"

Try being a GMR fan on one of the busier days, thinking to yourself, "Oh, RnR/ToT may not be a possibility this time.." (which is just sad) "..but there's always the GMR!" And then the revelation of a 45-60 minute wait

csmat99

That is a possibility too.

As for the rest, there is discussion but I'd say GMR and Energy will still take the knife. Sadly.
Is there a country running in 1st? Disney has stopped trying to get money from the countries correct or will this be fifa type of decision making?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom