News Disney Not Renewing Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal with TCM ; Attraction to Close

Haymarket2008

Jim Hill is claiming that this attraction will not be based on classic Mickey, but the new Disney Channel Mickey instead. Personally I don't buy this.

I don't buy it either. It's a popular version of Mickey, but not enough to make it the version an entire attraction is built around. Stylistically it would be jarring to see that and walk out to see an entirely different Mickey greeting guests.

No Name

Jim Hill is claiming that this attraction will not be based on classic Mickey, but the new Disney Channel Mickey instead. Personally I don't buy this.
I don't buy it either. It's a popular version of Mickey, but not enough to make it the version an entire attraction is built around. Stylistically it would be jarring to see that and walk out to see an entirely different Mickey greeting guests.

Oh, I can buy it. It's newer, it's more familiar, and I'd say it looks closer to the park character. If he's the one appearing on my Band-Aids, surely he could be the one appearing in the ride.

Classic Mickey:
image.png

Disney Channel Mickey:
image.png

Some other options... might as well add them just in case.

Disney XD Mickey:
image.jpeg

Epic Mickey Mickey:
image.png

(I'll edit with more.)

I have little idea which they're choosing, and honestly, I'm not sure which I'd choose myself.
Though I wouldn't be surpised if Imagineering favors the classic look and Marketing favors the Disney Channel look, and this has spawned yet another feud between the two departments.

Last edited:

Goob

Something doesn't look right with the classic Mickeys ears, to me.

Is the eyes pretty much the only difference between the Classic and Disney channel Mickey?

Haymarket2008

Oh, I can buy it. It's newer, it's more familiar, and I'd say it looks closer to the park character. If he's the one appearing on my Band-Aids, surely he could be the one appearing in the ride.

Classic Mickey:
View attachment 211561

Disney Channel Mickey:
View attachment 211562

Disney XD Mickey:
View attachment 211563

Epic Mickey Mickey:
View attachment 211564

(I'll edit with more.)

I have little idea which they're choosing, and honestly, I'm not sure which I'd choose myself.
Though I wouldn't be surpised if Imagineering favors the classic look and Marketing favors the Disney Channel look, and this has spawned yet another feud between the two departments.

Correction: Jim Hill was referencing the Disney XD Mickey in the recent podcast. I was thinking of that version when I responded.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
The "Disney XD" Mickey's ears look as if they are barely attached to his head. And his pants look like they're about to fall off because they slimmed his body down. That's at least what I'm seeing when I look at the various Mickey's that were posted.

FWIW, I hate when a character, any character, is slimmed down because "it's a healthier look".

brb1006

Classic Mickey:
View attachment 211561

Disney Channel Mickey:
View attachment 211562

Disney XD Mickey:
View attachment 211563

Epic Mickey Mickey:
View attachment 211564

(I'll edit with more.)

I would go for Classic Mickey. I did see the Disney XD Mickey and friends design at the various restaurants at the Disney All-Star resorts.

brb1006

The Disney XD Mickey looks much closer to the Mickey of the 1930s before Fred Moore "Improved" him for Fantasia.
Actually the current Mickey look by Fred Moore debuted in the Mickey Mouse short "The Pointer" in 1939 and the second time in Mickey's Surprise Party that same year which is also the first time we see Minnie with pupils and her bow.

Last edited:

Disneyson

I really hope they stick more to a "House of Mouse", Disney Parks-style, more familiar Mickey look. It would be a character integrity nightmare worse than the Dueling Ariels (Creepy AA vs. Live), or the Frozen characters. If Disney has been trying to get those new Mickey heads out, trying to standardize that animated, souviner-style look in the parks, I don't understand why Disney would do something like this to alienate very young children used to the Clubhouse/Roadster/"Close to Disney Parks" look and most people 20 and older, especially when this specific cartoon's art style could only last five to ten more years or so, as most Mickey cartoons come and go. People's tastes in animation constantly evolve, but the Disney parks have normalized a specific Mickey to grace autograph books and t-shirts. It would be stupid for merchandise, create a real character integrity problem, and instantly date the attraction.

brb1006

I really hope they stick more to a "House of Mouse", Disney Parks-style, more familiar Mickey look. It would be a character integrity nightmare worse than the Dueling Ariels (Creepy AA vs. Live), or the Frozen characters. If Disney has been trying to get those new Mickey heads out, trying to standardize that animated, souviner-style look in the parks, I don't understand why Disney would do something like this to alienate very young children used to the Clubhouse/Roadster/"Close to Disney Parks" look and most people 20 and older, especially when this specific cartoon's art style could only last five to ten more years or so, as most Mickey cartoons come and go. People's tastes in animation constantly evolve, but the Disney parks have normalized a specific Mickey to grace autograph books and t-shirts. It would be stupid for merchandise, create a real character integrity problem, and instantly date the attraction.
This is currently a rumor, but if Disney does give official info for the Mickey ride. I hope they go with the first half being Classic Mickey from the 20's up to the 30's and stick with Modern Mickey starting with Fantasia.

Roknrollrghostr

It's better in motion, but you should see Goofy.

At least Minnie looks alright
4f9f1c936a8a5b0c5d8949366651078e.jpg

I might be in the minority here but I enjoy the new shorts, they're silly and fun. Not the right design choice for an attraction though. But Goofy! Why are his eyes yellow? It's uncomfortably bizarre. Does he have a liver problem? My husband and I refer to him as "jaundice Goofy".

rle4lunch

XD Mickey = Ren and Stimpy animation. And while I enjoyed R&S, I don't know if it really *fits* my brains vision and remembrance of my version of Mickey. That said, the XD Mickey cartoons are really good, but something just isn't 'right' with the look of it. It's like Mickey and friends are skidrow hobo's living in post depression era New York.

brb1006

I might be in the minority here but I enjoy the new shorts, they're silly and fun. Not the right design choice for an attraction though. But Goofy! Why are his eyes yellow? It's uncomfortably bizarre. Does he have a liver problem? My husband and I refer to him as "jaundice Goofy".
Guess they wanted to go for a more different appearance for Goofy to look closer to his older designs from the mid 1930's.

brb1006

XD Mickey = Ren and Stimpy animation. And while I enjoyed R&S, I don't know if it really *fits* my brains vision and remembrance of my version of Mickey. That said, the XD Mickey cartoons are really good, but something just isn't 'right' with the look of it. It's like Mickey and friends are skidrow hobo's living in post depression era New York.
I would take that over "Mickey Mouse Clubhouse Mickey" anyday now. Glad they improve with Mickey and the Roadstar Racers.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom