• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

News Disney Not Renewing Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal with TCM ; Attraction to Close

Bocabear

Can we stop with this "attractions = rides" nonsense? Hollywood Studios has always been show-heavy, and appropriately so.
Rides are attractions...Shows can be too, but I was referring to rides and should have used that word instead of "Attractions"... the point remains that in a park with a real lack of viable attractions, they are planning on closing yet another...before opening anything else.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Rides are attractions...Shows can be too, but I was referring to rides and should have used that word instead of "Attractions"... the point remains that in a park with a real lack of viable attractions, they are planning on closing yet another...before opening anything else.
With respect, I see that you're from Ft. Lauderdale. Since you're so close, I assume you visit Walt Disney World fairly frequently and tend to skip many of the shows because you've seen them all several times. For those that visit and actually watch the shows, there's still many hours worth of entertainment at DHS. No, the park is not in its most robust shape, but there's still enough for it to hobble along.

MansionButler84

In the Parks
No
That's fine. But it's a different argument than what most people try to make. Most people say "there's nothing to do at DHS." The honest argument would be "I don't enjoy the things there are to do at DHS."
Surveys suggest guests primarily visit WDW for rides. I'm not arguing with your definition of "attraction," but four rides in one park is problematic. At least it is just for 1 year. There will need to be additional entertainment wherever they can fit it.

Or free cupcakes.

Fox&Hound

If Mickey takes over GMR and they have Minnie and Co dining at Hollywood and Vine, any chance they will go that direction with that area of the park? I could see Disney Jr taking over where Frozen currently is and they can have that area as a little Toon Town or celebration of animated hits. That way The Great Mickey Ride does not seem so out of place and its placement would make sense for the new direction of the park???? Course that leaves Indiana Jones....

disneygeek90

In the Parks
Yes
Sorry, I can't read through 158 pages. What type of ride is this rumored Mickey ride? I would be sad to see GMR go... I think it has a lot of potential still, just could use a little updating.

Bocabear

With respect, I see that you're from Ft. Lauderdale. Since you're so close, I assume you visit Walt Disney World fairly frequently and tend to skip many of the shows because you've seen them all several times. For those that visit and actually watch the shows, there's still many hours worth of entertainment at DHS. No, the park is not in its most robust shape, but there's still enough for it to hobble along.
Yes, I have seen all the shows many many many times.... but there are also now fewer shows than there once were...and seriously...how many time can you see the Little Mermaid show and the Beauty and the Beast show... Once a year is more than enough, especially when it doesn't really change. In the early years there were tons of Streetmosphere characters which I rarely see anymore...they were great... I remember watching a woman with her suitcase talking to a little gorl and telling her all about how she just got off a bus from Kansas and wanted to be a movie star... that was sweet and fun... and lovely detail, but have not seen that level of detail on a long tme... maybe I have just mossed it... but I suspect there are less performers than there once were. So fewer shows, less performers, fewer rides make this park on a whole, pretty sad.

YodaMan

I think if we are triaging, it needs updates more than removal. We can't bulldoze everything. It's still popular and appropriate for the park.
This. Not saying it shouldn't go eventually. But Indy will be back in the public consciousness in a couple years. And the sets are generally still pretty impressive. Cut out the "behind the scenes" aspects and just do a straight Indy show, and do a light refurb so it looks a bit newer. It'll at least fit the new direction of the park and be different-ish enough to be worth a re-visit while the rest of the park is worked on, and the change can happen quickly and cheaply.

matt9112

A real purpose built show sure....but throwing random crap into unused theaters? Hardly. Some of the stuff they pass off as attractions is really sad. I'm not against shows and theaters if it's a purpose built atrraction. Throwing stuff you can see on YouTube in a theater and calling in an attraction is crap.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
A real purpose built show sure....but throwing random crap into unused theaters? Hardly. Some of the stuff they pass off as attractions is really sad. I'm not against shows and theaters if it's a purpose built atrraction. Throwing stuff you can see on YouTube in a theater and calling in an attraction is crap.
Sounds like you're talking about Frozen. Have you ever actually seen it? The performers are hilarious.

Top Bottom