News Disney Not Renewing Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal with TCM ; Attraction to Close

Bocabear

With respect, I see that you're from Ft. Lauderdale. Since you're so close, I assume you visit Walt Disney World fairly frequently and tend to skip many of the shows because you've seen them all several times. For those that visit and actually watch the shows, there's still many hours worth of entertainment at DHS. No, the park is not in its most robust shape, but there's still enough for it to hobble along.
Yes, I have seen all the shows many many many times.... but there are also now fewer shows than there once were...and seriously...how many time can you see the Little Mermaid show and the Beauty and the Beast show... Once a year is more than enough, especially when it doesn't really change. In the early years there were tons of Streetmosphere characters which I rarely see anymore...they were great... I remember watching a woman with her suitcase talking to a little gorl and telling her all about how she just got off a bus from Kansas and wanted to be a movie star... that was sweet and fun... and lovely detail, but have not seen that level of detail on a long tme... maybe I have just mossed it... but I suspect there are less performers than there once were. So fewer shows, less performers, fewer rides make this park on a whole, pretty sad.

GeneralZod

I think if we are triaging, it needs updates more than removal. We can't bulldoze everything. It's still popular and appropriate for the park.
Agreed. If only they would update it with some scenes from Crystal Skull. ;)

itsaliens.jpg.CROP.original-original.jpg

YodaMan

I think if we are triaging, it needs updates more than removal. We can't bulldoze everything. It's still popular and appropriate for the park.

This. Not saying it shouldn't go eventually. But Indy will be back in the public consciousness in a couple years. And the sets are generally still pretty impressive. Cut out the "behind the scenes" aspects and just do a straight Indy show, and do a light refurb so it looks a bit newer. It'll at least fit the new direction of the park and be different-ish enough to be worth a re-visit while the rest of the park is worked on, and the change can happen quickly and cheaply.

matt9112

With respect, I see that you're from Ft. Lauderdale. Since you're so close, I assume you visit Walt Disney World fairly frequently and tend to skip many of the shows because you've seen them all several times. For those that visit and actually watch the shows, there's still many hours worth of entertainment at DHS. No, the park is not in its most robust shape, but there's still enough for it to hobble along.

A real purpose built show sure....but throwing random crap into unused theaters? Hardly. Some of the stuff they pass off as attractions is really sad. I'm not against shows and theaters if it's a purpose built atrraction. Throwing stuff you can see on YouTube in a theater and calling in an attraction is crap.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
A real purpose built show sure....but throwing random crap into unused theaters? Hardly. Some of the stuff they pass off as attractions is really sad. I'm not against shows and theaters if it's a purpose built atrraction. Throwing stuff you can see on YouTube in a theater and calling in an attraction is crap.
Sounds like you're talking about Frozen. Have you ever actually seen it? The performers are hilarious.

rushtest4echo

Yes, I have seen all the shows many many many times.... but there are also now fewer shows than there once were...and seriously...how many time can you see the Little Mermaid show and the Beauty and the Beast show... Once a year is more than enough, especially when it doesn't really change. In the early years there were tons of Streetmosphere characters which I rarely see anymore...they were great... I remember watching a woman with her suitcase talking to a little gorl and telling her all about how she just got off a bus from Kansas and wanted to be a movie star... that was sweet and fun... and lovely detail, but have not seen that level of detail on a long tme... maybe I have just mossed it... but I suspect there are less performers than there once were. So fewer shows, less performers, fewer rides make this park on a whole, pretty sad.

Streetmosphere is still more common at DHS than any other park at WDW by a wide margin. Maybe you've just visted at bad days or times of day, but when I've visited over the last year or two there have been these on almost every single visit:
The "fresh off the bus" suitcase people on Hollywood Blvd at park opening and in the afternoon
The directors/talent scouts on Sunset Blvd throughout the day
The Toy Story green army men throughout the day
First Order Stormtroopers throughout the day, especially during the build up to the fireworks

I don't think there has been any drawback in that category, or at least I haven't seen it. If anything, I think I've seen just as many or more over the past few years. Maybe it's a right time/place deal and I'm getting the long end of the streetmosphere stick and you've gotten the short end of the stick.

uncle jimmy

Premium Member
Yes, but honestly the money is now spreading property wide. The level of spending over the next five years is unprecedented. I don't come to WDW for one park. I come for four. And they will be in stellar shape by 2021.

My concern now turns to the 2020s. It would be unreasonable to expect growth to continue at this clip and it is reasonable to expect no major construction during what is shaping up to be a TRULY dazzling (no really, Disneyland) celebration. Let's hope they can end up at the arguably-appropriate pace of one new E-ticket every 12-18 months property-wide, smaller additions inbetween, and maintenance of a reasonable refurb schedule.

Disneyland has maintained that since 2005.
Could this Ride be coming sooner because after TSL or SWL are open, an area near GMR would be impacted with walls and bigger rides closing?

rushtest4echo

Sounds like you're talking about Frozen. Have you ever actually seen it? The performers are hilarious.

Normally, I find your arguments/defense against the crybabies as totally logical and well reasoned, but I'm pretty sure he was talking about the crappy Star Wars shows in two different theaters, in addition to the "previews" constantly going on over at One Man's Dream (the original film is in poor shape too). Those three "attractions" are pitiful excuses meant to prop up the attraction count and he's right on that count.

Having the better Frozen show, the nightly Symphony Concerts, nightly fireworks and the third track on TSMM are all huge positives in my book and are certainly helping Studios limp through this overhaul- but the other filler is just that. In 5 years, everyone will look back at 2015-2020 and see it the same way people looked at DCA during its overhaul. Plenty of people (myself included) recognize that it's just impossible to shut down a top 10 theme park for years, but I hope those people recognize that the park is in really bad shape and beneath Disney's typical standards. I'm confident that the park will be back up to those standards and looking the best it has in 20 years by 2020 though.

Mike S

It pains me to say I may have ridden my last GMR.

As things stands at the moment, when I return in the fall the attraction should be closed.
Crap.
All the changed in the short term are painful but in the lonf term are setting up the park to draw just under what the MK draws. Its clear to almost everyone that Star Wars is the most popular IP in the movie industry. Therefore WDW has to make sure whatever they remane the park has capacity to handle 20 million as it will be the number 2 park in Orlando. Once they finish what is planned and the next phase for Epcot and MK tomorrowland WDW will be set for the 70 million plus a year attendance they will be getting.
Magic Kingdom can barely handle 20 million a year and you're expecting DHS to be able to when all of this is done?

Normally, I find your arguments/defense against the crybabies as totally logical and well reasoned, but I'm pretty sure he was talking about the crappy Star Wars shows in two different theaters, in addition to the "previews" constantly going on over at One Man's Dream (the original film is in poor shape too). Those three "attractions" are pitiful excuses meant to prop up the attraction count and he's right on that count.

Having the better Frozen show, the nightly Symphony Concerts, nightly fireworks and the third track on TSMM are all huge positives in my book and are certainly helping Studios limp through this overhaul- but the other filler is just that. In 5 years, everyone will look back at 2015-2020 and see it the same way people looked at DCA during its overhaul. Plenty of people (myself included) recognize that it's just impossible to shut down a top 10 theme park for years, but I hope those people recognize that the park is in really bad shape and beneath Disney's typical standards. I'm confident that the park will be back up to those standards and looking the best it has in 20 years by 2020 though.
I hope you mean "better Frozen show" as in better than the Star Wars stuff. Not really hard to top those though. If you want a truly great Frozen show you have to go to California.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
All the changed in the short term are painful but in the lonf term are setting up the park to draw just under what the MK draws. Its clear to almost everyone that Star Wars is the most popular IP in the movie industry. Therefore WDW has to make sure whatever they remane the park has capacity to handle 20 million as it will be the number 2 park in Orlando. Once they finish what is planned and the next phase for Epcot and MK tomorrowland WDW will be set for the 70 million plus a year attendance they will be getting.

Right. Attendance at DHS is going to nearly double with the addition of three attractions?

As I've said before - The pixie dust is strong with this one. Treat the posts accordingly.

ToTBellHop

Could this Ride be coming sooner because after TSL or SWL are open, an area near GMR would be impacted with walls and bigger rides closing?
Well, the Mickey Ride was proposed to open with SWL or not at all. I know there had been discussions over whether or not to build it, and apparently they have decided to go forward. Since it needs to open with Star Wars Land (that's why it was proposed in the first place), and has a 24-month build, and Star Wars Land opens ~summer 2019, it's simple math. If they had waited for Toy Story Land to open, sure it'd be better for crowd flow, but we would likely just not get the Mickey ride at all.

20,000,000 guests at DHS is laughable. That would be beyond their capacity. I guess all those extra people turned away from the gate will just be sent to the Ratatouille ride by gondola?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom