News Disney Not Renewing Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal with TCM ; Attraction to Close

Otterhead

Yeah, Tarzan and the Footlight Parade/Singing in the Rain room are the ride's main weak links.
I've seen the ride many times, and on my first visit after the TCM update, noticed that Tarzan no longer swings all the way to the right. He swings over, then his vine rotates in view of the crowd (rather than behind the trees), and he swings back at a sort of 3/4 angle to the audience. It looked totally ridiculous and everyone in my ride car was laughing at Tarzan's derpy swinging technique.

FigmentJedi

If GMR has to close, then I hope two things happen:
  • Firstly, the Chinese Theatre facade stays
  • Secondly, the ride either be themed to Mickey Mouse (like it's been proposed) or themed to Mary Poppins.
Even though I'd rather have Poppins in the UK pavilion, I could see it working in this space.
You know, basing a redone GMR's movie menu on stuff that premiered at the real Chinese Theater could actually work in Disney's favor. Mary Poppins, Jungle Book and the original Star Wars all come to mind as good scene candidates.

Daveeeeed

The Mickey overlay has more potential than any overlay in history. It could set the table for the entire park by giving it the cohesion it has always lacked. Seems like a no-brainer to me. And it will sell plush as a bonus.
It would be the best replacement for The Great Movie Ride, but GMR should be updated as it is already great, and the park needs capacity very badly, so it should be an addition.

Last edited:

yeti

The Mickey overlay has more potential than any overlay in history.
You're not damning with faint praise, are you?
It could set the table for the entire park by giving it the cohesion it has always lacked.
You're right. The park can now, cohesively, be called "A Salute to All Movies, but Mostly Disney".
And it will sell plush as a bonus.
As any great ride does. :rolleyes:
Seems like a no-brainer
You can say that again. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

jt04

You're not damning with faint praise, are you?

You're right. The park can now, cohesively, be called "A Salute to All Movies, but Mostly Disney".

As any great ride does. :rolleyes:

You can say that again. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

No faint praise. With the proper stewardship this can become a classic e ticket. Basically the Walt Disney legacy fully realized as an attraction through his creation's eyes. Or should I say ears. Eyes and ears.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom