News Disney Not Renewing Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal with TCM ; Attraction to Close

MerlinTheGoat

Well... any updates?
WDW1974 said in his new thread that GMR was still going to close, but that the Mickey Mouse ride may not actually end up happening...

What that means for the future of the building is anyone's guess. Losing GMR is already a horrible thing (nothing they'd consider replacing it with would make this actually acceptable), but a great classic Mickey E ticket is the least offensive idea they could come up with to be fair. Recall that at one point Guardians of the Galaxy was considered for the GMR building, barf if that or anything else besides Mickey is planned as the replacement. Would be great if GMR wasn't closed at all, but that sounds unlikely.

Last edited:

brb1006

WDW1974 said in his new thread that GMR was still going to close, but that the Mickey Mouse ride may not actually end up happening...

What that means for the future of the building is anyone's guess. Losing GMR is already a horrible thing (nothing they'd consider replacing it with would make this actually acceptable), but a great classic Mickey E ticket is the least offensive idea they could come up with to be fair. Recall that at one point Guardians of the Galaxy was considered for the GMR building, barf if that or anything else besides Mickey is planned as the replacement. Would be great if GMR wasn't closed at all, but that sounds unlikely.
At least make a new ride building themed to the Mickey attraction at HS. Like how Tokyo's Pooh attraction is separate and has more space unlike other Pooh rides at the various Disney parks.
poohs_hunny_hunt_exterior.jpg

Last edited:

MerlinTheGoat

At least make a new ride building themed to the Mickey attraction. Like how Tokyo's Pooh attraction is separate and has more space.
I fully agree with the new ride building, but it really sounds like that's not happening. As 74 said, the execs are more into re-purposing existing attractions than actually adding things.

Though something to note- it was said the Mickey ride wouldn't use the entire building anyways (like 80% I think). I don't know how big Hunny Hunt's building is compared to GMR, I was under the impression GMR is quite a bit larger.

brb1006

I fully agree with the new ride building, but it really sounds like that's not happening. As 74 said, the execs are more into re-purposing existing attractions than actually adding things.

Though something to note- it was said the Mickey ride wouldn't use the entire building anyways (like 80% I think). I don't know how big Hunny Hunt's building is compared to GMR, I was under the impression GMR is quite a bit larger.
I heard GMR is bigger than Hunny Hunt's building.

BTW: Hunny Hunt's ride building does a very good job of disguising the building as an actual giant picture book.

Daveeeeed

I heard GMR is bigger than Hunny Hunt's building.

BTW: Hunny Hunt's ride building does a very good job of disguising the building as an actual giant picture book.
It goes along IASW there, so it's tucked away and the front is covered by trees and books. I would love a Mickey ride, but not taking over GMR.

In my personal opinion this needs to happen:

-GMR gets Tarzan and opening scene replaced and rewritten script, plus updates throughout.
-Mickey Ride replaces Indiana Jones Stunt Show to allow...
-Rock n' Rollercoaster's Guardians of The Galaxy overlay to make that area, from RNRC to Animation courtyard, an entire Marvel land in the future.
-Tower of Terror stays unchanged.
-Fantasmic gets an update by 2019
-Star Tours changes to something else to go along with animation maybe as Mickey will be there possibly making it the new "Animation courtyard."
-Muppet's Courtyard gets a c-ticket dark ride, but with animatronics more like Splash Mountain (which is not that hard as they are fabric.
-Commissary Lane gets a facelift to match Hollywood Boulevard, with the sci-fi dine in staying, but updated with different film segments.
-Parking lots expanded with either a garage or just a much larger parking lot; also with a new entrance.
-American Idol's Theater gets a 20 minute shows that change often on a scale like "Tape Face," "Buckets & Boards," etc. That way that area will be kept fresh and new, while having great entertainment.

-Phase 3 could be Monstropolis (with E-ticket Door hanging coaster plus the Laugh Floor moving there). Most of this land would be inside Monsters Inc. (great for Summer's and rain plus it would be very cool to walk inside), but there would be a Courtyard when entering that has facades of buildings around it so you are immersed in it before you enter, and also would have HarryHausen's, it would be nice for Disney to have Sushi, and it would be a quality restaurant in a park that has none. Quick service restaraunt inside Monsters Inc.
-Phase 3 or Cars Land
-Phase 3 or an Indy land or an original land,which sadly won't happen.
-Phase 3 or a Nightmare Before Christmas Mini-Land.

-Park needs a water ride
-Redo Hub completely, maybe add fountains in front of GMR on the backside of the stage, and have the stage relocated to Sunset Boulevard. All sidewalk would be torn up to get rid of the Mickey face and make it look nicer. Along with that, new greenery throughout, and water on the other side of Echo Lake that will take up part of the entrance area to Animation Courtyard, but this area will be Marvel in the future and torn down. Lake will be much smaller than Echo Lake, exactly like the water in the entrance of Tomorrowland, this will also be able to separate Marvel better.
-One Man's Dream moves to The Magic Kingdom or Epcot.

That is my Dream plus a Phase 4 in the 2020's either being a full blown Marvel land or something along those lines.

Last edited:

Bolt

It goes along IASW there, so it's tucked away and the front is covered by trees and books. I would love a Mickey ride, but not taking over GMR.

In my personal opinion this needs to happen:

-GMR gets Tarzan and opening scene replaced and rewritten script, plus updates throughout.
-Mickey Ride replaces Indiana Jones Stunt Show to allow...
-Rock n' Rollercoaster's Guardians of The Galaxy overlay to make that area, from RNRC to Animation courtyard, an entire Marvel land in the future.
-Tower of Terror stays unchanged.
-Fantastic gets an update by 2019
-Star Tours changes to something else to go along with animation maybe as Mickey will be there possibly making it the new "Animation courtyard."
-Muppet's Courtyard gets a c-ticket dark ride, but with animatronics more like Splash Mountain (which is not that hard as they are fabric.
-Commissary Lane gets a facelift to match Hollywood Boulevard, with the sci-fi dine in staying, but updated with different film segments.
-Parking lots expanded with either a garage or just a much larger parking lot; also with a new entrance.
-American Idol's Theater gets a 20 minute shows that change often on a scale like "Tape Face," "Buckets & Boards," etc. That way that area will be kept fresh and new, while having great entertainment.

-Phase 3 could be Monstropolis (with E-ticket Door hanging coaster plus the Laugh Floor moving there). Most of this land would be inside Monsters Inc. (great for Summer's and rain plus it would be very cool to walk inside), but there would be a Courtyard when entering that has facades of buildings around it so you are immersed in it before you enter, and also would have HarryHausen's, it would be nice for Disney to have Sushi, and it would be a quality restaraunt that has none. Quick serve restaraunt inside Monsters Inc.
-Phase 3 or Cars Land
-Phase 3 or an Indy land or an original land,which sadly won't happen.

-Park needs a water ride
-Redo Hub completely, maybe add fountains in front of GMR on the backside of the stage, and have the stage relocated to Sunset Boulevard. All sidewalk would be torn up to get rid of the Mickey face and make it look nicer. Along with that, new greenery throughout, and water on the other side of Echo Lake that will take up part of the entrance area to Animation Courtyard, but this area will be Marvel in the future and torn down. Lake will be much smaller than Echo Lake, exactly like the water in the entrance of Tomorrowland.
-One Man's Dream moves to The Magic Kingdom or Epcot.

That is my Dream plus a Phase 4 in the 2020's either being a full blown Marvel land or something along those lines.
If this is your dream, wouldn't you just wish for all e-tickets?

Jones14

If this is your dream, wouldn't you just wish for all e-tickets?
I'm actually in the camp that a park solely consisting of E-tickets is not a good basis for a solid theme park. Universal Studios Florida, for example, feels odd to me at times because it is incredibly top-heavy. The only ride that I would consider to be a C-ticket (execution being disregarded for the moment) is the spinner, and I think the park is worse for it. The lower tier rides tend to be less popular, which on crowded days can be a godsend when every other ride in the park sits at over a forty minute wait time. Also, they tend to be outdoors (in comparison to world class dark rides, which spend most of their time indoors), and provide a nice sense of kinetic energy without dominating the skyline in the same way a large-scale rollercoaster does.

I believe this is a part of the reason why Animal Kingdom and Islands of Adventure are stronger parks (basis of theming aside) than Universal and DHS. They both share roughly the same amount of true headliners (Islands coming in first, Uni, Animal, or DHS second depending on what you consider a headliner), but the two former parks have several options from A to C that can literally be walked onto or into at almost any time of day. Every park, in my opinion, needs a carousel to go with Space Mountain.

Bolt

I'm actually in the camp that a park solely consisting of E-tickets is not a good basis for a solid theme park. Universal Studios Florida, for example, feels odd to me at times because it is incredibly top-heavy. The only ride that I would consider to be a C-ticket (execution being disregarded for the moment) is the spinner, and I think the park is worse for it. The lower tier rides tend to be less popular, which on crowded days can be a godsend when every other ride in the park sits at over a forty minute wait time. Also, they tend to be outdoors (in comparison to world class dark rides, which spend most of their time indoors), and provide a nice sense of kinetic energy without dominating the skyline in the same way a large-scale rollercoaster does.

I believe this is a part of the reason why Animal Kingdom and Islands of Adventure are stronger parks (basis of theming aside) than Universal and DHS. They both share roughly the same amount of true headliners (Islands coming in first, Uni, Animal, or DHS second depending on what you consider a headliner), but the two former parks have several options from A to C that can literally be walked onto or into at almost any time of day. Every park, in my opinion, needs a carousel to go with Space Mountain.
'Twas a joke.

DinoInstitute

Honestly DHS needs its own Nemo and Friends or Living With the Land, etc., type of dark ride. Something that isn't a huge draw or anything, but still is a quality smaller dark ride that has a nice re-ridability and is family friendly. I hope something like that is in the works somewhere.

Cesar R M

Honestly DHS needs its own Nemo and Friends or Living With the Land, etc., type of dark ride. Something that isn't a huge draw or anything, but still is a quality smaller dark ride that has a nice re-ridability and is family friendly. I hope something like that is in the works somewhere.
Yes, but if its going to replace something as big as the great movie ride.. Nope nope nope.

Daveeeeed

They really should just keep the idea of the GMR and just change the scenes so that they represent properties of the Disney empire.
The idea still works the problem is that the movies represented have aged badly for much of the public.
Alien? No, Wizard of Oz? No. I think others like Tarzan have, and the Disney-owned scenes can be updated, as well as the very effective gangster scene.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom