Disney No Longer Including Appetizers for Deluxe Dining Plan

BrerJon

It did but went up not even barely $2 bucks a person for Deluxe. Was $109 and change now is $111ish. Like others noted this could change on the brochure when everything is finalized by/in January. :)

So if an app is about $7 dollars, the plan basically has gone up in price by $9 a day - after tax that makes the plan about $118 per day per person. I'm struggling to see how this isn't a complete con.

So let's see, making rough price guesses (including tax) - one breakfast, what $15 max? A quick service lunch, $20 max. 2 snacks at $5, and a table service dinner, let's say $50 maximum. That's $95 a day. Make lunch table service too? Those are cheaper in most places, so $35 absolute maximum I think, which would take it to $110, so using Deluxe only costs $8 more than not using it.

What about using those two credits for a signature? The Filet and a dessert at Le Cellier is about $60 including tax. Use the third credit for a table service lunch, about $35, plus your two snacks at $10, dailycost $105, a loss of $13.

So if you eat a *ton*, are prepared to go table service twice a day, then using DLX only costs you $8-$13 more than just charging it to your room or paying with a credit card. But one or two of those table meals in a quick service and the loss soon skyrockets.

Those wanting to pay it in one sum in advance to control their spending would be far better to put the money they were going to spend on a Deluxe plan on a Disney gift card. You still pay the money in advance so know what you're spending, but you also have complete freedom over appetisers, desserts, alcohol... whatever you like, as it's already paid and 'all inclusive'. There might even be some money left over on the card at the end.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
So if an app is about $7 dollars, the plan basically has gone up in price by $9 a day - after tax that makes the plan about $118 per day per person. I'm struggling to see how this isn't a complete con.

So let's see, making rough price guesses (including tax) - one breakfast, what $15 max? A quick service lunch, $20 max. 2 snacks at $5, and a table service dinner, let's say $50 maximum. That's $95 a day. Make lunch table service too? Those are cheaper in most places, so $35 absolute maximum I think, which would take it to $110, so using Deluxe only costs $8 more than not using it.

What about using those two credits for a signature? The Filet and a dessert at Le Cellier is about $60 including tax. Use the third credit for a table service lunch, about $35, plus your two snacks at $10, dailycost $105, a loss of $13.

So if you eat a *ton*, are prepared to go table service twice a day, then using DLX only costs you $8-$13 more than just charging it to your room or paying with a credit card. But one or two of those table meals in a quick service and the loss soon skyrockets.

Those wanting to pay it in one sum in advance to control their spending would be far better to put the money they were going to spend on a Deluxe plan on a Disney gift card. You still pay the money in advance so know what you're spending, but you also have complete freedom over appetisers, desserts, alcohol... whatever you like, as it's already paid and 'all inclusive'. There might even be some money left over on the card at the end.

At AKL Boma was 48 bucks + Tax when I was there in May, That's insane for a buffet I had the African Stew 9 bucks + tax at the Mara instead, Once again sad because Boma has always been a favorite of mine but the Scotsman in me is unwilling to pay a inflated price for a buffet.

For most of the 'Noughts Boma was in the mid to high twenties and it was a good pricepoint there. But Disney is increasing OOP prices to make DDP look like a good deal, The other change to DDP now needs to be paid for at reservation time, Not reserved in advance and paid for at checkin so Disney is also making money with the float as well.

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
At AKL Boma was 48 bucks + Tax when I was there in May, That's insane for a buffet I had the African Stew 9 bucks + tax at the Mara instead, Once again sad because Boma has always been a favorite of mine but the Scotsman in me is unwilling to pay a inflated price for a buffet.

For most of the 'Noughts Boma was in the mid to high twenties and it was a good pricepoint there. But Disney is increasing OOP prices to make DDP look like a good deal, The other change to DDP now needs to be paid for at reservation time, Not reserved in advance and paid for at checkin so Disney is also making money with the float as well.
How was Boma $48+tax? o_O The price range for dinner is $38.33-42.59 TAX INCLUDED. Never heard anyone say it was $48+ tax before or complained.
I know the price varies and is higher for peak season but that would be the highest price listed $42.59 (again tax already included).
See below the current price info for 2015.

Notes:
Dinner Served 4:30 - 9:30 p.m.

Note that the price of this meal varies based on the time of year (peak seasons vs regular season), and even on the day of the week (weekday vs weekend). The general price ranges for this meal are as follows:

Adult price range: $38.33-$42.59;
Child (ages 3-9) price range: $18.10-$21.29

Tax is included; gratuity is not included. A standard, non-alcoholic beverage is included in this price.

The dinner menu rotates daily. This listing gives you an idea of the types of foods that may be offered, more than 60 items on the buffet.

sxeensweet

Yes and you can always lose that gift card as well. We carry some gift cards from Disney Visa rewards (those you can report lost and get replaced) and Several smaller gift cards but mostly charge to room on our bands. Stuff happens sometimes and would hate to have gift cards with that much money on them. Still would rather use the Regular/or Deluxe Dining plan (we mostly do the regular plan but the last trip and this trip coming will probably be the Deluxe this October) and pre pay for most of our meals etc.
Some like the gift card method and some like us like the Dining plan method. :)

MarkTwain

I'm a total novice to the Dining Plan, but... doesn't the whole business model of selling the Dining Plan rely on Disney promoting its cost-effectiveness, on a per-meal basis, when compared to not using it?

Let's be realistic, it's not as if Disney will be bringing down the price any.

Before Disney was able to say "Appetizer + entree + dessert at ____ Restaurant = $60 when you pay out of pocket... but only $50 on the DDP!!"

Now Disney would be saying "Entree + Dessert = $40 when you pay out of pocket... but only $50 on the DDP!! Hey wait a minute..."

The numbers are made up, but hopefully the point gets across.

Disney has reduced the value/raised the prices of the park offerings for years, relying on people to keep paying regardless because of the emotional value, but there's no emotional value at play here. The numbers simply don't make sense. How will Disney possibly be able to present the DDP as a good deal without the appetizer, unless they lower the price?

Last edited:

SoccerMickey

I never understood why the option wasn't Appetizer or Dessert. Given the size of some of the appetizers, I don't see how the backend cost difference could be that much. We love having our own appetizers due to food preferences, but usually end up sharing a dessert. But these just removed really the only reason we would choose a DDP over the regular DP.

In-Room dining includes appetizers and dessert. Weird.
The main reason they don't offer you a choice is that when you sit down at a table and very hungry you're more than likely to pay out of pocket for an appetizer than you would pay for a dessert after you already ate.

TeriofTerror

We still add items like the tips of course (at places it's not included as some do like CRT, HDD etc include the tip), apps or drinks. We don't let the plan dictate to us what we can have or not. We still like that 95% of our dining costs were already paid for and already included. :)
If the tip isn't included and you've already paid for 95% of your dining costs, you must be a really crappy tipper. I don't care how you choose to eat or spend your money, but stiffing your server is not okay.

sxeensweet

If the tip isn't included and you've already paid for 95% of your dining costs, you must be a really crappy tipper. I don't care how you choose to eat or spend your money, but stiffing your server is not okay.
For one I did not mean 95% covered concerning tips also. Maybe how I worded it was not the best way. I Meant food wise etc that 95% was covered what we eat the whole trip and drink (non alcoholic included drinks).
We always tip 2o-30% depending on service at any restaurant in Disney or anywheres else. Please don't assume things you do now know. I was just making a point that MOST of our costs are taken care of for FOOD not tips and don't mind just having to tip, buy drinks etc. I never figured out my EXACT percentage OOP. I know my OOP costs but sorry I did not do all the correct and exact math for you. Everyone else got what I meant! LOL:facepalm:

Last edited:

sxeensweet

Tipping brought up.

I B T L
Yeah brought up for NO REASON. They were dead wrong on us being not good tippers. We are actually ABOVE average tippers most cases. Shouldn't be brought up regardless because it has nothing to do with this thread about appetizers going away. Trying to stay on subject myself but had to defend that one. :rolleyes::p

TeriofTerror

For one I did not mean 95% covered concerning tips also. Maybe how I worded it was not the best way. I Meant food wise etc that 95% was covered what we eat the whole trip and drink (non alcoholic included drinks).
We always tip 2o-30% depending on service at any restaurant in Disney or anywheres else. Please don't assume things you do now know. I was just making a point that MOST of our costs are taken care of for FOOD not tips and don't mind just having to tip, buy drinks etc. I never figured out my EXACT percentage OOP. I know my OOP costs but sorry I did not do all the correct and exact math for you. Everyone else got what I meant! LOL:facepalm:
I actually bring this up to demonstrate an often overlooked aspect of the dining plan. The increase in food ordered (because seriously, who would ever order that many desserts?), the higher priced entrees selected ("I'll get the most expensive entree available to maximize my value!"), etc., all lead to a higher OOP in the tip - something many fail to factor into the equation, even if you claim that you do. In the vast majority of cases when a person does a thorough cost analysis of what they would choose to order with no dining plan in comparison to what they end up paying on a dining plan, the dining plan is a poor choice. The removal of the appetizer option merely adds credence to this statement. I agree with the previous poster that purchasing a gift card in advance equal to what one would have spent to purchase the dining plan ends up being a much more sensible route.

sxeensweet

I actually bring this up to demonstrate an often overlooked aspect of the dining plan. The increase in food ordered (because seriously, who would ever order that many desserts?), the higher priced entrees selected ("I'll get the most expensive entree available to maximize my value!"), etc., all lead to a higher OOP in the tip - something many fail to factor into the equation, even if you claim that you do. In the vast majority of cases when a person does a thorough cost analysis of what they would choose to order with no dining plan in comparison to what they end up paying on a dining plan, the dining plan is a poor choice. The removal of the appetizer option merely adds credence to this statement. I agree with the previous poster that purchasing a gift card in advance equal to what one would have spent to purchase the dining plan ends up being a much more sensible route.
Agree on that to a point but for us, in our case like I mentioned prior we usually break even or very close to even. Every trip when I come home I figure out what our total costs were and compare. We also do not always do the deluxe in fact we mostly do regular plan. The last 2 trips we did Dlx due to all the signatures/2 credit places etc we enjoy eating at.
We make reservations at only places we would want to eat at even if not on the plan and get items we would want at said restaurants and QS locations that we really want. We never try to squeeze things in just because we are on the plan etc. Hope this makes sense and you get what I'm trying to explain. I even have done the math If we would buy a TIW card (we are DVC and current AP holders) too and it does not end up much better either being we only go once a year or every other year. Yes I did include our alcoholic beverages etc in figuring that out as well.
Some do get the plan and eat wayyyy more than they would without or eat at places they don't truly enjoy etc. Those yes I agree it may not be the best for them. Being it is just me and DH that also helps and keeps costs reasonable buying the plans. :)

Last edited:

Michael Forbes

I do agree though it would be great if there was a choice for those who do the dining plan.
6o.jpg

AEfx

Unreal. I *think* when it first started it included appetizer, entree and dessert.

Yup, and that was back when there was just one "dining plan". The standard (only) plan was somewhere in the $35-40 range/day (I'm sure someone has an exact number), and included 1 TS with app, entree, desert, drink, 1 CS with desert/drink, and 1 snack per day. And very, very few restaurants were 2 credits - not even Brown Derby was back then, if I recall - it was dinner shows, that fancy pants place at GF, and maybe a couple of Epcot resort restaurants - there were not any 2CR in-park meals.

I'm pretty stunned that they are doing this to the deluxe plan. It's almost like they want people to stop doing it, or just expect folks don't care about prices and just the "convenience" factor. It is true that complaints about the original plan were "too much food" - the app was the first to go on the original plan.

But that they are nickel and diming the deluxe is really odd to me - I'd figure they just keep jacking up the prices. Ever since they split it's been clear it's not really a "savings" - but at least you could pretty much eat anywhere anytime and get what you wanted. I mean, people here are swapping stories about how to break even - which is in stark contrast to how it began, when people who were APers like me were irritated we couldn't get in on it because of the tremendous value it was (since it's only available with full room/ticket packages).

A lot of us at the time said the same thing you are seeing here - that it would be better if there was a choice between app/desert - I'm not really a desert person, I'd much rather have a nice app. I'm pretty sure the reason they don't do that is because deserts are generally really high margin and much more perishable than apps, as well are generally pre-made and ready to serve. But in any case, I haven't done the dining plan since before the turn of the decade, because it's been a steady decline since then and once I started always having a personal vehicle on property, it's amazing how cheaply you can eat really decently minutes off of Disney property.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom