Disney Magazine Ceases Publication

Captain Hank

I agree that this is quite odd. I would think, if anything, they would at least let the magazine put out its 50th anniversary issue as a great means of publicity. I don't necessarily doubt the veracity of the OP...but this raises a few questions. I just might have to fire off a few e-mails...

Captain Chaos

I hate to say it but i think it is true. I agree it is odd to suddenly stop the magazine before the 50th celebration. I also find it odd that they were still accepting subscriptions to the magazine. When i called this afternoon to ask if the rumor was true, the customer service rep said no... She then proceeded to tell me my subscription runs out in 2008 and tried to sell me the magazine as a gift, 50 percent off cover price. Weird I tell you......

Theresonly1

Mine runs out 2009...if it is true, I hope we at least get the next issue, I can't imagine scrapping it all, I'm sure alot of time has gone into a 50th issue.

CTXRover

Its weird that the Customer Service reps haven't been informed on this decision yet, especially if the decision was handed out 2 weeks ago. Its entirely possible that they just haven't been informed yet, but I've read others have been told by some reps that the publication of the Disney magazine being stopped is just a rumor. Its odd, that's all.

However, given that a few people here who reportedly have close ties in some way to the workers at the magazine, coupled with the recent JHM article (yea, I know he's wrong or stretches the truth a lot, but he also seems to have sources from somewhere at Disney), I imagine its unfortunately true. Until I get that card in the mail though that says its cancelled (or someone here does), I'll hold on to some hope it will still be published, at least for the special 50th edition that was mentioned to be coming in the Summer in the Spring issue.

Its a shame.

Captain Chaos

CTXRover, it is a shame, not just for us who read and love this magazine, but also for the employees of Disney Magazine. Just more of the little men Disney is kicking out the door and onto the curb. And they are such talented people. here's to hoping the employees get back on their feet in no time flat and stick it to Disney!!!!!!!

Testtrack321

The only thing I loved about the mag was their attractions insights and the ask the history guy section. The problem with it's format (and Disney) is that once news was broken on something, it usually appeared in press releases, then the internet, then DM. If DM got some good exclusives (like Everest) they would still be around.

MaxGoof7

Hey there. I spoke to Disney Magazine Customer Service that the Disney Magazine is not cease production. It continues on and on and on!

Swfewrmco

MaxGoof7 said:
Hey there. I spoke to Disney Magazine Customer Service that the Disney Magazine is not cease production. It continues on and on and on!

Until the letters go out in full force, they will continue to say that. They want anybody who is planning to renew to do so, so they have a shot of retaining the money in the form of a subscription to FamilyFun.

Captain Hank

dizryan said:
Until the letters go out in full force, they will continue to say that. They want anybody who is planning to renew to do so, so they have a shot of retaining the money in the form of a subscription to FamilyFun.
Isn't that a little illegal?

dox

This whole thing sounds bogus. No company would continue to take subscriptions if it were being cancelled. Too risky to behave that way in this day and age.
If it is true, I'm sad. I've been a subscriber since 1982 when it was called Disney News and i have back issues to 1979 Up until this past x-mas i had every issue from 1979 to the present. Sadly, I didn't have anywhere to store them any longer, so I threw out the majority and only kept issues that had some signficance to myself or historically. Although it is true that nowadays the magazine is kind of dated due to the internet. There were still plenty of great articles and bits of trivia. :cry:

Plane Crazy

Wow... that is really disappointing. I've been a subscriber for more than ten years. It was always great to come home and find a new issue in my mailbox.

While the information was often old... at least it was factual! You can get a lot of great information from the websites... and you certainly get it a lot quicker... but you have to sift through all of the rumors and conjecture!

I also like the photos and articles about upcoming animated features, et cetera.

Very, very disappointing....

DanStat

dizryan said:

Any customer who falls prey to this SCAM should report the magazine to the BBB for deceptive business practices. If they do that, then they are operating under two names as well, The Disney Magazine and Family Fun magazine.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom