Disney Magazine Ceases Publication

longfamily

in case anyone was really unhappy about this rumor, Disney Online still has advertising up for this magazine. How likely would it be that an "abrupt" end to a company magazine would still have up online advertising. I mean we are talking about a company that pays really close attention to their website. This seems like an unlikely rumor at this point given that info. Hope I'm right:)

Scar

Has anyone called subscriptions to see if they will still take an order over the phone? Just curious if they are still accepting them.

KevinPage

It's weird how the last issue they published (or I received) mentions attractions from TDL that we should get in the states, something that you wouldn't expect to see in a "corporate publication" and somewhat admitting the HIGH quality of TDL and it being neded here.

Now the plug is pulled. Conspiracy theory. I don't think so, but the timing feels weird. :D

Dayma

TP2000 said:
While I'm sad for the folks who will be losing jobs and having their life turned upside down for a while...

I won't miss this magazine. It seemed to be the same stuff over and over; endless pictures of darling young children dressed as Disney Characters for Halloween in the letters to the editor section, glowing reviews of the food served at any number of WDW Deluxe Hotel restaurants, mildly interesting yet predictable interviews with Disney employees from the Studios or Imagineering, etc., etc. I haven't actually bought a Disney Magazine in years, as I just thumb through each issue at the Barnes & Noble for two minutes before I realize there is no information that I don't already know from the Internet, or worse yet know more about than Disney Magazine is offering. I do agree with others here.... Ask Dave was the best part of the magazine, and I will miss that one part of Disney Magazine.

10 years ago this type of magazine would have been a must-buy for any self respecting Disney Geek (myself included). But in the age of the Internet there are at least a dozen websites, this one included, that offer more in depth information in a more timelier fashion than Disney Magazine can. Plus there's the fact that the info offered in Disney Magazine was scrubbed clean of any hint of criticism or objective thought. And on top of that, there were always a few factual errors or half-truths sprinkled amongst the articles.

If Disney Magazine had gone out of business in 1998 I would have been quite upset and I would have missed it terribly. But this news in 2005 has me shrugging my shoulders and just sort of going "Okay... Whatever."

I agree. Although I liked the magazine it always made me feel like I was missing something...

yensid63

um. i just checked the website for Disney Magazine, and they're still accepting subscriptions, even offering the first issue free.
maybe the subscription dept. hasn't been notified yet.
i will definetly miss the magazine, i've had a subscription since the old Magic Kingdon Club days.

Captain Chaos

I would think the subscriptions office would be one of the first to be notified. If they were closing a magazine, it wouldn't make sense to keep accepting subscriptions. However, if the news is true and Disney Magazine will be no more, then I am deeply saddened.. GRIZZ!!! Let's get some going on D-Troops about this...

Captain Chaos

yensid63 said:
um. i just checked the website for Disney Magazine, and they're still accepting subscriptions, even offering the first issue free.
maybe the subscription dept. hasn't been notified yet.
i will definetly miss the magazine, i've had a subscription since the old Magic Kingdon Club days.

I tried to find this on the Disney website and all I found was an advertisement for the Spring 2005 issue with no links to subscribe. Can you tell me where on the Disney website are they still accepting subscriptions to Disney Magazine?

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
dxer07002 said:
GRIZZ!!! Let's get some going on D-Troops about this...

Uhhhh..... No offense, but I think their time is better spent doing what they are doing.

If it's true, then I'm sad. If this is bogus, then I'm sad that it was posted.

To the poster who said that their content was already on the Internet, then I would like to see links to an interview with Tony Baxter at his home. While many items that are published can indeed be found on the Net, they still offered content that you don't find on the Net. For example: The "Ask Dave" column is fabulous.

Captain Chaos

HauntedPirate said:
Uhhhh..... No offense, but I think their time is better spent doing what they are doing.

If it's true, then I'm sad. If this is bogus, then I'm sad that it was posted.

To the poster who said that their content was already on the Internet, then I would like to see links to an interview with Tony Baxter at his home. While many items that are published can indeed be found on the Net, they still offered content that you don't find on the Net. For example: The "Ask Dave" column is fabulous.

No offense taken... I agree with you about the certain content you cannot find on the net. "Ask Dave" is a favorite of mine. I hope we can find out if this news is true and soon.

Captain Chaos

Ok, I found the link to subscribe to Disney magazine on the website. However, when you click it, all it does is take you to an advertisement for the Spring 2005 issue. Nothing there lets you subscribe. Disney is running an online magazine called Disney Insider. Dave Smith has the same kind of Q&A article in Insider. Maybe this Disney Insider is replacing Disney Magazine. Seems like Disney is taking everything online.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
meekoman said:
Thats odd because I just got a renewal notice in the mail this week.
yeh, must be seperate departments............ my cell phone service provider will send me stuff that i already have on my phone. if they would just look to see what i have, but then again, it is probably cheaper to send me that stuff then it is to research what everybody has and mail ads accordingly.

-SIR-

I DO NOT believe this... I have collected disney Magazine since the early 90's and have tons of issues in my collection. If this is true I can guarantee you if no one else starts a major petition I WILL... I will also mail every disney exec. I can think of... This was the last piece of Disney left that is Classy... with the dis store turning into a plush shop, white glove service thrown out the window, and the magic kingdom club extinct, and the Disney Channel going to the tweens... GIVE ME MY MAGAZINE!!!!!! IF NICKALODEON CAN STILL HAVE ONE THAN A BIG COMPANY LIKE DISNEY CAN HAVE ONE TOO!

If this is bogus than the person posting it should rot for it...

I am so angry I could bust as I am always waiting for the magazine... that is very very agrivating

-SIR-

just so you know... i just emailed dis magazine and will know soon (within two business days):

I have been notified by a friend that Disney Magazine has been cancelled and will no longer be in print. Is this true? If it is I will take every effort as I know thousand of others will to get it back into publication. This is VERY upsetting news. I find the quality of Disney Magazine to be much better than both Disney Adventures and Family fun. If this rumor is true it really goes to show the direction the company is going in. Sad. please respond as soon as possible as many others on discussion boards across the net will be waiting for your reply, thanks

we'll see

bidnow5

I would be so disappointed I for one would gladly pay extra even for the issues I already paid for. I read them over and over again then I go back and read back issues. I have been getting it for years and still have every issue. If it's true I would like to sign any petition that goes around and will be calling, sending email and stopping in at guest services several times on my trip.

tigsmom

This saddens me. I have been getting this for a few years now and always look forward to it arrival.

I had problems with issues not arriving, but I called the contact # inside and new ones were sent out.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom