Disney Magazine Ceases Publication

longfamily

"The Sky is not Falling" my darling Chicken Littles.

The magazine did not stop production. The magazine is still taking subscriptions for Disney Insider and customer service has assured people that this is an ugly rumor. It is still being advertised by the Disney company on their website.

Let's put this thread to bed.

General Grizz

longfamily said:
"The Sky is not Falling" my darling Chicken Littles.

The magazine did not stop production. The magazine is still taking subscriptions for Disney Insider and customer service has assured people that this is an ugly rumor. It is still being advertised by the Disney company on their website.

Let's put this thread to bed.
I wouldn't put it to bed, per se. Two different sources came out with the same story. . .

TTATraveler

You know, I just re-subscribed too and got the Spring issue. This whole thing sounds fishy, I will believe it when I get an official notification from them. It sounds like this whole thing is going to turn into a customer relations nightmare.:(

longfamily

Feel free to clarify this issue for yourself. The number for subscription concerns is 1-800-333-8734.

Just got off the phone with them myself and the employee of Disney Magazine assured me that this was a false rumor. She said that the magazine had no intention of stopping production.

Hope this makes most of you feel better.
If not, there is the phone number for you to verify it for yourselves:)

DanStat

I've never had this happen. I called and got a message that the "extremely high call volume" was leading to "extemely long waiting periods". They told me the didn't have the capacity to handle my call, and it disconnected!

dxwwf3

I hate to sound so negative here (That seems to be the "It" thing to do right now. Complain about all the negativity here, oh well :) ), but I remember CM's assuring me that there were no plans to close Alien Encounter when I called them on the phone many times. They said that the Stitch attraction was a "dead rumor".

So take all of this for what it's worth.

DizkneeBoi

Account Suspended
dxwwf3 said:
I hate to sound so negative here (That seems to be the "It" thing to do right now. Complain about all the negativity here, oh well :) ), but I remember CM's assuring me that there were no plans to close Alien Encounter when I called them on the phone many times. They said that the Stitch attraction was a "dead rumor".

So take all of this for what it's worth.
If only those CM's would have been right....:cry:

dxwwf3

DizkneeBoi said:
If only those CM's would have been right....:cry:

True

But I hope you guys got the "moral of the story". Disney has no problem flat out lying to you on the phone. And I'm not complaining about that (sometimes it's probably the best thing for them to do), but I'm just simply saying "Don't believe everything you hear on the other line of a telephone conversation with a Disney employee"

Captain Hank

dxwwf3 said:
True

But I hope you guys got the "moral of the story". Disney has no problem flat out lying to you on the phone. And I'm not complaining about that (sometimes it's probably the best thing for them to do), but I'm just simply saying "Don't believe everything you hear on the other line of a telephone conversation with a Disney employee"
But I think the major difference here is that money is directly involved. If they sell a subscription after the decision has been made to discontinue the magazine, that's just not right (and maybe illegal). Also, this would be a highly illogical time to do it, especially with a half-finished or more 50th anniversary issue. A lot of things about this just don't add up.

dxwwf3

hcwalker16 said:
But I think the major difference here is that money is directly involved. If they sell a subscription after the decision has been made to discontinue the magazine, that's just not right (and maybe illegal). Also, this would be a highly illogical time to do it, especially with a half-finished or more 50th anniversary issue. A lot of things about this just don't add up.

Oh I agree. I just posted that so people wouldn't totally write off the rumor just because someone over the phone said it was false.

awalkinthepark

dxer07002 said:
Take this with a grain of salt...

I just spoke to a customer service rep and she told me there are no plans on ceasing publication of Disney Magazine any time soon. She said it was a rumor. Don't know whether she is pulling my leg or being serious.

When I worked at a bank we were always telling customers that any hint of the rival bank taking us over was just a rumor, nonsense....until the morning that I woke up turned on the news and found out that my bank was merging with the rival bank....I found out along with everyone else. Front line people who deal with customers directly are sometimes the last to know

CTXRover

dxwwf3 said:
Oh I agree. I just posted that so people wouldn't totally write off the rumor just because someone over the phone said it was false.

Yea, I agree. Its a little too early to "lay this to rest" just because some Customer Service reps are saying otherwise. I would like this to be just a rumor that got out of hand somewhere along the line of communication (it wouldn't be the first), but I'm not ready to say its not true given the claimed-to-be sources cited here. This "story" has already spread across the Disney internet fan base, yet it seems to all reference back to this very thread as the original source.

However, I do think it would be very inappropriate IF the Customer Service reps have already been notified of the cancellation but to plainly come out and say that its a false rumor and then go on to either try and renew your subscription or sign you up for a new one, as seems to have happened to a few here and elsewhere that have called in. I would guess that could create some serious problems in regards to false solicitation (but I'm no legal expert, trust me). It is VERY possible though that the people on the phones just haven't been appropriately notified yet of the decision (although 2 weeks seem like plenty of time) and tomorrow or the next day or a little later they'll be singing a different story if you call.

Its not a good sign though that www.disneymagazine.com has no info on subscribing and the list of "books/magazines" at disney.com under the entertainment heading no longer lists Disney Magazine as an option.

I'm still crossing my fingers the magazine hasn't been cancelled. Things aren't adding up on both sides of the story quite yet for me. But I must say things don't look good.

goldenstate5

Oh my lord, NOOOO!!!!

I LOVE this magazine. I schedule the week and a half it should arrive and I take a hour break out of my day whenever the Disney mag arrives. If I have homework...it can WAIT.

Around two and a half years ago the "Disney Insider" pages lost their luster entirely due to internet access, of course, but everything else HAD to be read, especially Ask Dave. Ask Dave was number one, always. I would go through it backwards. First the end pic, then Ask Dave and so forth. And it would always occur on the front room dining table where mail is place. It's the closest spot to the door.

And now THIS info is given?! Oh, please have the 50th issue come out! I'm looking extremely foward to that...or was...

Anyways, about the customer service, it's actually not illegal. This is the way their dealing with it (and I think it's been mentioned earlier in the thread): They want you to subscribe in case you decide to put it towards Family Fun. If not, you DO have the choice of getting a refund. So it's legal in everywhere. They're not robbing you or anything.

Anyways, I bawl for the staff and the magazine itself. The months of February, May, August and November will never be the same again...

DisneyPhD

Well I am also hoping this is not true. I have old copies of it back in 1993 when my father had the Magic Kingdom Club and it came with it. We also keep all our copies and it is a happy day here when it comes in the mall.

True most of the "news" is old news compared to the interenet, but it is a good publishcation and I like it.

Does anyone have a link to someone I can email about this? If it is going under I at least want to voice my opinon (and I am a Disney shareholder too.)

That email magizne is NOTHING. I want my paper. I hope not. :lookaroun

tecowdw

imamouse said:
The current issue of Disney Magazine, Spring 2005, is the last issue. Subscribers will be offered a transfer of the remainder of their subscriptions to Family Fun magazine, or they may receive a refund for the balance of their subscription to Disney Magazine. Letters containing the options will be mailed to subscribers. Although not profitable, Disney Magazine was once considered worth the cost of publishing as a marketing tool. The announcement was delivered suddenly about 2 weeks ago with no explanation offered to the Disney Magazine employees and contributors.

That's too bad. I kind of enjoyed the magazine. However, since it was always quite dated I don't think it will be a huge loss in my life (as opposed to if WDWMAGIC were to cease :mad: ).
I recently renewed so as long as I get a refund I'll be fine (but what will I read in the bathroom now :confused: ).
I'll save that refund towards renewing my WDWMAGIC membership. :drevil:

longfamily

disneyprep50321 said:
I've never had this happen. I called and got a message that the "extremely high call volume" was leading to "extemely long waiting periods". They told me the didn't have the capacity to handle my call, and it disconnected!

I got this message too. I actually had called a total of three times before i was let through. Keep tring it. You will be relieved that you did.

longfamily

DisneyPhD said:
Does anyone have a link to someone I can email about this? If it is going under I at least want to voice my opinon (and I am a Disney shareholder too.)

DIScustserv@cdsfulfillment.com

This is the e-mail for the Disney Magazine customer service.

Below are listed Phone #'s for all of their advertising offices. Call them all. You will keep hearing that nothing has changed with the publication cycle.

Detroit: 248-359-1171, linda Donaldson
Midwestern: 312-396-5216, Kathy Burke
New York: 212-633-4400, Donna Lindskog
Southeastern: 407-566-5832, Vanise Vann
Brown & Co.: 770-998-2889, Bryan Brown & Julie Kern
Southwestern: 469-232-9636, Dean Zeko
Western: 415-283-2410

Account Manager: Valri Jackson, 818-569-3116
Classmark (Classifieds Manager): Kathleen Gleason, 708-352-8832

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom