Disney Magazine Ceases Publication

imamouse

Original Poster
General Grizz said:
... I'm wondering how the staff feels. :lookaroun

My source feels betrayed and extremely sad as this had been a very long term job (many years) and the relationships with co-workers were more like family.

tigger248

mkt said:
I want a refund for the last 3 issues which I paid for with my subscription and never received, and never received an answer when I attempted to contact them. Good riddance to stain in Disney's good name.

It happened to you too? We had a very similar problem. We never received the winter issue after our renewal. Though we did receive the spring issue.

I will miss the magazine though. It had a lot of cool bits of info in it. Plus, I had a hidden mickey picture that I was gonna send in that I never got around to sending. I really like the comparison of the real Hollywood Blvd to the one in Disney/MGM Studios in the spring issue. We're making a list of things to look for when we go to CA next year.

raven

This news is horrible. I know a few people who work for a regional distibution office of the mag here in Detroit. They used to come into TDS when I was working and just talk to us. I will miss it.

Just another example of Disney heading in the wrong direction. First they killed the Disney Club which was a major source for the Disney Stores which are now being killed and sold off and now this too!!! @$&&%#@&*&$$@^!

:fork:

dmmgp2000

wow, this is not good. I have been a suscriber since 1996. My first issue had Quasimodo on the cover. This magazine was the only way I got my Disney info until the internet came along. I was already looking forward to the Summer 2005 issue which was to cover all the 50th Anniversary stuff. I guess I'll never get to see it now. I'll miss "Ask Dave" the most, but the whole magazine was a great read cover to cover.

MissJ

Am I crazy, or didn't The Disney Magazine go out of business for a while and then come back in a revamped format? I thought it was around 95 or 96?

Maybe I'm just crazy. So much for company synergy.

Jessica

WDWScottieBoy

Wonderful, and I've still got about 3+ years of subscription left on my account. And I am NOT going to get Family Fun or whatever that is. The past couple of months, I've been thinking about calling/writing them to see if they would accept a teen columnist or another writer for the magazine as I was really wanting to work for them. :(

Thanks for the info, I just wish it wasn't true. :cry:

DDuckFan130

WDWScottieBoy said:
Wonderful, and I've still got about 3+ years of subscription left on my account. And I am NOT going to get Family Fun or whatever that is. The past couple of months, I've been thinking about calling/writing them to see if they would accept a teen columnist or another writer for the magazine as I was really wanting to work for them. :(

Thanks for the info, I just wish it wasn't true. :cry:
Writing them for that wouldn't have done much good. I tried because I was also interested and that went nowhere. I did end up writing an article for allears though :D

I will miss the magazine also. I loved receiving it :(

TP2000

While I'm sad for the folks who will be losing jobs and having their life turned upside down for a while...

I won't miss this magazine. It seemed to be the same stuff over and over; endless pictures of darling young children dressed as Disney Characters for Halloween in the letters to the editor section, glowing reviews of the food served at any number of WDW Deluxe Hotel restaurants, mildly interesting yet predictable interviews with Disney employees from the Studios or Imagineering, etc., etc. I haven't actually bought a Disney Magazine in years, as I just thumb through each issue at the Barnes & Noble for two minutes before I realize there is no information that I don't already know from the Internet, or worse yet know more about than Disney Magazine is offering. I do agree with others here.... Ask Dave was the best part of the magazine, and I will miss that one part of Disney Magazine.

10 years ago this type of magazine would have been a must-buy for any self respecting Disney Geek (myself included). But in the age of the Internet there are at least a dozen websites, this one included, that offer more in depth information in a more timelier fashion than Disney Magazine can. Plus there's the fact that the info offered in Disney Magazine was scrubbed clean of any hint of criticism or objective thought. And on top of that, there were always a few factual errors or half-truths sprinkled amongst the articles.

If Disney Magazine had gone out of business in 1998 I would have been quite upset and I would have missed it terribly. But this news in 2005 has me shrugging my shoulders and just sort of going "Okay... Whatever."

Badger Brent

I still enjoyed thumbing through it. Who knows, this could be the next of similar cuts around the company. Not a bad idea if it makes the company more profitable. First management cuts and now the magazine. Sounds like they are trimming and tightening the belt. Of course, this will all be done without guest knowing anything has changed. ;)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
tigger248 said:
It happened to you too? We had a very similar problem. We never received the winter issue after our renewal. Though we did receive the spring issue..

Me too - the subscription service was such a mess I eventually gave up. I guess thats one downfall about the Internet; the same information and coloumn style is available free of charge, anytime. I do feel for the staff of the mag.

awalkinthepark

I'm sorry...I didn't renew my subscription after the winter issue..

...It's all my fault!!!!

They practically gave it away on the magazine discount sites for $3 a year....I still never got around to looking for a deal...guess that I got bored with it..been a subscriber since 95 or 95 with the first issue...oh well.

*MichelleP*

Echoing the other sentiments that this a bummer. I really enjoyed the magazine. DD is 8 and practices her reading aloud skills with Disney Magazine. I even bought a subscription for someone I was trying to entice into a trip and her kids poured over each issue, too. :(

brkgnews

Well, that blows. I really hate to see it go. Aside from the hotel discount, the subscription offer was really the only other AP perk I used. Sad, sad, sad. Makes you wonder why they would have made the offer if they were thinking about dropping it.

/sucks to blow your 300th post on sad news like that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom