Disney Magazine Ceases Publication

DisneyPhD

Ok, this is my offical reply from the Disney Magazine email:

We apologize for the confusion. At this time we are not aware of any plans for Disney Magazine to cease publication. You should receive your issue as normal.

If you need further assistance, please use the reply with history feature to include all previous correspondence because we have several customer service representatives answering messages.

Disney Magazine

Jeanie

I wish it was true. I hope it is true. :cry:

Captain Chaos

DisneyPhD said:

We apologize for the confusion. At this time we are not aware of any plans for Disney Magazine to cease publication. You should receive your issue as normal.

If you need further assistance, please use the reply with history feature to include all previous correspondence because we have several customer service representatives answering messages.

Disney Magazine

Jeanie

Techincally the email is right. They are not ceasing publication for the Summer issue. However, once the Summer issue is released, and they cease publication, all they have to say is WE TOLD YOU WE WEREN'T BUT THE DECISION WAS MADE AFTER THE SUMMER ISSUE.. Typical spin by a company. But I just hope, with all the calls and emails they have gotten, they realize that keeping the magazine will do much more good than harm.

CaliSurfer182

DisneyPhD said:

Disney Magazine

Jeanie

That is pretty much the same reply I got, except I was answered by a different rep.

At this time we are not aware of Disney Magazine ceasing publication. You should receive your Summer issue as normal.

If you should need further assistance, please be sure to include all previous e-mail correspondence.

Disney Magazine

Customer_Service@CDSMAG

Sounds like they don't want to give much future information out.

DisneyPhD

CaliSurfer182 said:
That is pretty much the same reply I got, except I was answered by a different rep.

At this time we are not aware of Disney Magazine ceasing publication. You should receive your Summer issue as normal.

If you should need further assistance, please be sure to include all previous e-mail correspondence.

Disney Magazine

Customer_Service@CDSMAG

Sounds like they don't want to give much future information out.

Doesn't sound good. "You should be getting your Summer Issue" that much we know, what we don't know if they are going to do any after that.

I feel sorry for the poor person answering the questions. "as far as we know" and not knowing if they have a job, or wrose knowing that they don't but having to lie about it.

I was laid off last year. It really sucks to have to dig your own grave and then shot yourself, and shut down your own job, what was so important to you for so long. It really gave me perseptive that a job is just a job, not your life. ;)

Ashitaka

Thanks DisneyDan80 for the link. Here's the story for those that don't want to register with the OC Register's website:

Friday, April 15, 2005
Disney Magazine to publish last edition this summer

From staff and news-service reports

Disney Magazine, which has a circulation of roughly 500,000, will publish its final edition this summer after more than 30 years of informing Disney fans about the company's past, present and future. Known as an "insider's guide," it covered people and events related to the theme parks and other Disney entertainment.

Disney Magazine lost a significant number of subscribers after the company closed its Disney Club and Magic Kingdom Club, fan clubs that offered promotions and discounts. That affected the "financial viability" of Disney Magazine, said Glenn Rosenbloom, vice president of the consumer magazines group.

Disney's magazine group also is exploring the sale of Discover Magazine to focus on its target audience of families and children. It publishes FamilyFun and Disney Adventure and plans to launch Wondertime, targeting mothers of children younger than 6.

Disney Magazine employed nearly 20 people, and the company is trying to place them in other positions within publishing, Rosenbloom said.

prberk

Aaka said:
Thanks DisneyDan80 for the link. Here's the story for those that don't want to register with the OC Register's website:

Friday, April 15, 2005
Disney Magazine to publish last edition this summer

From staff and news-service reports

Disney Magazine, which has a circulation of roughly 500,000, will publish its final edition this summer after more than 30 years of informing Disney fans about the company's past, present and future. Known as an "insider's guide," it covered people and events related to the theme parks and other Disney entertainment.

Disney Magazine lost a significant number of subscribers after the company closed its Disney Club and Magic Kingdom Club, fan clubs that offered promotions and discounts. That affected the "financial viability" of Disney Magazine, said Glenn Rosenbloom, vice president of the consumer magazines group.

It's all accounting silliness, and perhaps another reason that the clubs should have stayed in place.

Were you paying for the magazine or the club membership or AP? Or did the "free" magazine generate business that doesn't show up on the mag's bottom line? Depending on which way you look at it, determines how you spell profit...

I never thought that they should have changed the 30+ -year-old Magic Kingdom Club to the Disney Club, anyway. They did it tor try to take that excellent marketing tool (which was offered as a benefit by major U.S. employers, like the county government where I work and my mother's bank where she worked in the '70s), and make it into a fee-based consumer club, The Disney Club. That idea was a bomb, but by changing the Magic Kingdom Club to the Disney Club, they had dismantled the longstanding relationships that they had made with Human Resource departments all over the country -- drying up the constant presence that Disney had in annual "benefits" packages...

See, the Disney Magazine had also been made over to be more consumer friendly, from its long-term name, The Disney News. They took a magazine that was simple and hit at the heart of the Disney fanbase and tried too hard to make it a broad consumer magazine... and along the way actually hurting their own goal. The magazine made MUCH more sense as The Disney News, coming as a companion to the Magic Kingdom Club and other things Disney.

And the Magic Kingdom Club itself made more sense as a travel incentive offered FREE by companies to employees, than as a fee-based closed consumer club. Which way do you think brings in new customers?

The bottom line is that in both situations, Disney killed great, classic marketing tools that reached multiples, just by trying to get every dime they could out of them.

My answers: Restore the Magic Kingdom Club corporate benefit (paid for by companies, but free to employees) for discounted Disney travel (and Disney posters up in breakrooms across America, like before); and keep the magazine as part of it (of course, also available as subscription and as part of the Annual Pass -- at nearly $400, they can consider $15 of it for the subscription -- again all in how you look at the accounting....).

WDWEric

This is ridiculous, if oprah can have a mag, then disney should too!!!!!! One major downfall i think is that it came out seasonally, why not monthly?

prberk

Anyone have any new news on this? Are they still telling people that it is not official?

I wrote several officials with a real letter last week. Nothing in response yet, but I just wondered if anyone else here has heard anything new. Did anyone else write to the company in official channels?

I wrote the following in my letter:

Alexandra Kennedy, VP
Buena Vista Magazines, Inc.
114 Fifth Ave.
New York, NY 10011

Re: Disney Magazine

Dear Ms. Kennedy:

I am loyal reader of the Disney Magazine, and have been for years. I have heard that you will be ceasing publication of this magazine, and I am asking you and the company to reconsider this decision, and continue this wonderful magazine.

I was just thinking the other day when I saw this quarter’s issue how nice it was still to have this Disney product that was aimed at the adult Disney enthusiast, as well as vacationers. I fall into both categories sometimes, but not as often as I would like.

I especially enjoy the features found here that cannot be found elsewhere, including the internet, such as the “Ask Dave” column and the letters to the editor that show family memories similar to mine. They are always nice. But I also like the insider’s look at things and interviews with cast members, but most especially things from the archives.

The distinctive about this magazine is the expertise of the writers. The articles certainly help Disney’s marketing, but they read with a detail and historical knowledge that the normal marketing copy never has. It rings sincere and believable.

Reports have said that the internet has caused the magazine to become obsolete. THIS IS WRONG. The internet cannot beat this magazine for the features I have already discussed. Yes, the news is sometimes out on the internet more quickly, but the presentation and content is not the same.

Finally, I want to address the subscription base. Many subscribers are said to be from “free” subscriptions to park passholders (and, like mine, originally part of the benefits of the Magic Kingdom Club and Disney Club). Well, they are hardly free, especially considering the passholder rates. You do your prime company constituency a disservice when you don’t consider them as an essential part of your customer base! In fact, we are often your key customers for all departments. I bought “The Disney Treasures” coffee table book, at around $60, because I saw it in your magazine. Does it show up on the magazine’s bottom line? NO. But did the company benefit from the magazine in this sale? YES.

Please consider my opinion and keep the magazine going!

Sincerely,
Paul

longfamily

After speaking with a rep and hearing that Disney Mag has no intention of stopping publication, I e-mailed them the following questions. I asked them direct questions to see if I would hear anything new...

To Whom It May Concern,

By now I'm sure that you have recieved several e-mails regarding the closure of Disney Magazine. The Orlando Sentinal has released a statement declaring that Disney Magazine will not release any more publications after the Summer 2005 issue. It further stated that any subscriber could continue with FamilyFun Magazine after Disney Magazine becomes defunct in the Fall or recieve a full refund for the remainder of their subscription. What is the validity to these claims? Will Disney Magazine be stopping publication after the Summer 2005 issue? If so, will subscribers be given the opportunities listed above? Thank you for your speedy response.

This was the reply that I recieved from customer service:

We are not ceasing publication this is just a rumor.

Disney Magazine
Shay

I'm trusting that they are not going to stop the magazine. We will see what happens in the fall.

Woody13

longfamily said:
After speaking with a rep and hearing that Disney Mag has no intention of stopping publication, I e-mailed them the following questions. I asked them direct questions to see if I would hear anything new...

To Whom It May Concern,

By now I'm sure that you have recieved several e-mails regarding the closure of Disney Magazine. The Orlando Sentinal has released a statement declaring that Disney Magazine will not release any more publications after the Summer 2005 issue. It further stated that any subscriber could continue with FamilyFun Magazine after Disney Magazine becomes defunct in the Fall or recieve a full refund for the remainder of their subscription. What is the validity to these claims? Will Disney Magazine be stopping publication after the Summer 2005 issue? If so, will subscribers be given the opportunities listed above? Thank you for your speedy response.

This was the reply that I recieved from customer service:

We are not ceasing publication this is just a rumor.

Disney Magazine
Shay

I'm trusting that they are not going to stop the magazine. We will see what happens in the fall.

Did you somehow miss all the news reports? :confused:

longfamily

Woody13 said:
Did you somehow miss all the news reports? :confused:

Cute Woody...:lol:

Not at all which is why I e-mailed them with more specific questions. To my knowledge the only two media sources from this story was the orlando Sentinal and web-site that was not forum related. Aside from these two sources the only other statement was made by Jim Hill. I was truely curious to know why customer service would deny reports over the phone and I thought that if I directly asked what will become of the subsciption, the response would show a little more accuracy. The company maintains that nothing is amiss. Imagine what would happen if they actually were lying to the consumer about this. If they had designs on the consumer resuming their subscription with FamilyFun, how many countless upset people would want to switch over after being lied to? By lying over this event it would cause a major rift between the company and consumer. That is not a wise gamble. Logically, if the Mag were ceasing publication, wouldn't they do all that they can to insure that they hold onto those subsciptions? That would include a major campain in trying to placate their existing customers and offer the switch before randomly shocking people with the information once the Summer 2005 issue is released.

The simple fact that they are still callng the situation a rumor tells me that either A) they have a really bad business sense and they are prepared to lose a great deal of Disney customer base, or B) It really is just a rumor.
I'm hoping for the latter, as I'm sure many others are as well.

I take the media with a grain of salt. I have experience with the media and I've learned over time not to be so trusting. to my knowledge there aren't many sources covering this story and Disney Mag is still taking subscriptions. Somewhere the numbers don't add up. Whether it be the media or the magazine, only time will tell. JMHO;)

SewIn2Disney

prberk said:
Anyone have any new news on this? Are they still telling people that it is not official?

I wrote several officials with a real letter last week. Nothing in response yet, but I just wondered if anyone else here has heard anything new. Did anyone else write to the company in official channels?

I wrote the following in my letter:

Alexandra Kennedy, VP
Buena Vista Magazines, Inc.
114 Fifth Ave.
New York, NY 10011

Re: Disney Magazine

Dear Ms. Kennedy:

I am loyal reader of the Disney Magazine, and have been for years. I have heard that you will be ceasing publication of this magazine, and I am asking you and the company to reconsider this decision, and continue this wonderful magazine.

I was just thinking the other day when I saw this quarter’s issue how nice it was still to have this Disney product that was aimed at the adult Disney enthusiast, as well as vacationers. I fall into both categories sometimes, but not as often as I would like.

I especially enjoy the features found here that cannot be found elsewhere, including the internet, such as the “Ask Dave” column and the letters to the editor that show family memories similar to mine. They are always nice. But I also like the insider’s look at things and interviews with cast members, but most especially things from the archives.

The distinctive about this magazine is the expertise of the writers. The articles certainly help Disney’s marketing, but they read with a detail and historical knowledge that the normal marketing copy never has. It rings sincere and believable.

Reports have said that the internet has caused the magazine to become obsolete. THIS IS WRONG. The internet cannot beat this magazine for the features I have already discussed. Yes, the news is sometimes out on the internet more quickly, but the presentation and content is not the same.

Finally, I want to address the subscription base. Many subscribers are said to be from “free” subscriptions to park passholders (and, like mine, originally part of the benefits of the Magic Kingdom Club and Disney Club). Well, they are hardly free, especially considering the passholder rates. You do your prime company constituency a disservice when you don’t consider them as an essential part of your customer base! In fact, we are often your key customers for all departments. I bought “The Disney Treasures” coffee table book, at around $60, because I saw it in your magazine. Does it show up on the magazine’s bottom line? NO. But did the company benefit from the magazine in this sale? YES.

Please consider my opinion and keep the magazine going!

Sincerely,
Paul
EXTREMLY well written!
I liked how you addressed the fact that some sections contined facts that could not be found on the internet (ask dave.....my favorite!) and the last paragraph about the subscription base...very true.
I hope you don't mind if I use your letter as a springboard for writing my own letter. Thank you for inspiration.

Ashitaka

longfamily said:
To my knowledge the only two media sources from this story was the orlando Sentinal and web-site that was not forum related.

Here's more back up that Disney Magazine is ceasing publication:

Futher up this thread (post #205 & 206) you will find an article from the OC Register, a newspaper that covers Anaheim and thus watches Disney closely. It quotes Glenn Rosenbloom, vice president of the consumer magazines group and says the summer issue will be the last.

Then in this morning's April 27th Orlando Sentinel, Susan Strother Clarke, follows up her prior column on Disney Magazine (linked earlier in this thread) with more news about Disney publications. Once again, she states Disney Magazine is shutting down. Here's a link:
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/custom/tourism/orl-bizclarke27042705apr27,1,2653823.column?coll=orl-business-headlines-tourism

And here is an interesting full article from The Republican, a newspaper that covers Northhampton, MA where part of Disney Publishing is based. It quotes Alexandra Kennedy, Vice-President and editorial director of Disney Publishing's family and children magazine group. The article is about Disney Magazine folding and the changes that are taking place. here's a link:
http://www.masslive.com/business/republican/index.ssf?/base/business-0/1114562615311210.xml&coll=1

And here is a press release from The E-ffordable Magazine Co that goes over how letters will shortly be sent to the people who subscribe to Disney Magazine through them. The letters will offer a refund or a transfer to a different magazine.
http://i-newswire.com/pr15898.html

So no matter what Disney Customer Relations were originally telling people, Disney Magazine is ceasing publication after the summer issue. This is not a rumor.

imamouse

Original Poster
Thanks, Aaka, for doing this legwork and providing excellent follow up on this topic. Due to a family emergency, I have not had time to run these supporting articles down. All is well now, but I really wanted to thank you for all of your support and great fact-finding.

Thanks also to prberk and everyone who wrote to Disney Mag and complained about this decision. I sincerely hope that the power of the members of this forum will have a positive impact on this situation.

tigger248

Aaka said:
sigh. Okay, let's go over this again.

Futher up this thread (post #205 & 206) you will find an article from the OC Register, a newspaper that covers Anaheim and thus watches Disney closely. It quotes Glenn Rosenbloom, vice president of the consumer magazines group and says the summer issue will be the last.

Then in this morning's April 27th Orlando Sentinel, Susan Strother Clarke, follows up her prior column on Disney Magazine (linked earlier in this thread) with more news about Disney publications. Once again, she states Disney Magazine is shutting down. Here's a link:
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/custom/tourism/orl-bizclarke27042705apr27,1,2653823.column?coll=orl-business-headlines-tourism

And here is an interesting full article from The Republican, a newspaper that covers Northhampton, MA where part of Disney Publishing is based. It quotes Alexandra Kennedy, Vice-President and editorial director of Disney Publishing's family and children magazine group. The article is about Disney Magazine folding and the changes that are taking place. here's a link:
http://www.masslive.com/business/republican/index.ssf?/base/business-0/1114562615311210.xml&coll=1

And here is a press release from The E-ffordable Magazine Co that goes over how letters will shortly be sent to the people who subscribe to Disney Magazine through them. The letters will offer a refund or a transfer to a different magazine.
http://i-newswire.com/pr15898.html

So no matter what Disney Customer Relations were originally telling people, Disney Magazine is ceasing publication after the summer issue. This is not a rumor.

Wow, you really did your homework, and that's greatly appreciated. Thanks so much for all those links. I tried to pos rep ya, but I have to spread it around a bit first.

Ashitaka

Gucci65 said:
Anyone know who was on the cover of the latest magazine?

Mickey is on the cover of the Spring 2005 edition. You can see a picture of it here http://disney.go.com/disneymagazine/

Notice that there is no subscription info on the page.

But I have to say, if the sales people are still misleading people over the phone and via e-mail at this point, that's pretty bad. If their vice-presidents are now being straight forward with the press, the sales reps should have been given new instructions to tell the real story to the consumers that contact them and not the fake answer of "Just a rumor, everything's alright" until the Summer issue comes out.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom