Disney Magazine Ceases Publication

Ashitaka

And to the person who just gave me the unsigned neg rep point saying "don't think anyone called her a liar":

Look through the thread and you'll find this lovely little bon mot-

I can't believe that all of you are freaking out over a lie that someone is posting to get their jollies on.

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
Aaka said:
You're welcome!

People gave you neg rep points too?! :fork: Oooooh, that makes me mad!

Better start making amends people. When you were wrong you should fess up and admit it.

imamouse gave us the straight scoop. Show her some love and send her those positive rep points she deserves.

I gave her a good rep point. She definately deserves some positive reinforcement here. Thank you Imamouse for scooping this story! You are definately someone who should be appreciated for your information.

Pam

imamouse

Original Poster
Thank you to everyone for your support. I realize that I am not very well known here, so I truly appreciate those of you who did not judge me too harshly as well as those who came around and accepted me in the end.

I will begin by admitting an inaccuracy in my original post regarding which issue would be the last for Disney Magazine. My original post reflects exactly what was told to me firsthand by someone who works (worked) for DM. Like most folks, I am delighted that there will be a summer issue for 2005, as this is a logical promotional vehicle for the 50th Anniversary of DL and the HCOE.

Further, I sincerely hope that the passion expressed in this thread will be channeled toward the decision makers in an effort to prolong the life of this publication. Going straight to the top would be Deborah Dugan, President, Disney Publishing Worldwide, or her boss, Andy Mooney, Chairman, Disney Consumer Products. The only address I have for them is: c/o The Walt Disney Company, 500 S Buena Vista Street, Burbank, CA 91521. If anyone else has a more direct address, please share.

Lastly, thank you to the members of this board for their spirited discussion of this topic.

prberk

One way that we could show support is to enter the contests in this current edition.

On page 11 of the Spring issue they have the instructions for "The Biggest Sweepstakes Ever." Grand prize is TWO Disney trips: One to Disneyland for the celebration on July 17, the other a week-long land/sea vacation at WDW and on the cruise line, to be taken anytime over the next year or so. The ONLY way to enter the contest is through the regular mail, using the address in the magazine.

Another contest, for a trip to New York, is detailed on page 12. This one has an internet address that you can find on that page.

I think we should all buy or look at the magazine and enter these contests, to help show the magazine's reach.

prberk

By the way, for all of the people who "discount" the subscriber rate because many are included in the Annual Passholder prices, let's not all forget just how expensive the APs are anyway. I hardly call getting the magazine with it a "freebee."

I think that it is a perfectly good way to get the magazine and company stuff to a prime audience.

The magazine should be seen as part of the "cost" of the AP benefits (both on the income and expense sides).

prberk

One more thing: Here is the address to write Buena Vista Magazines head office in New York:

Buena Vista Magazines, Inc.
114 Fifth Ave.
New York, NY 10011

Alexandra Kennedy is listed as the Disney VP and editorial director of the magazine.

DizkneeBoi

Account Suspended
Funny how when I first posted not to trust the original poster everyone swarms me with pos. points and now all of the sudden i'm getting negatives! How quickly things change! haha :lol: *Tell me I'm not the only one who got neg. ratings :cry: *

-SIR-

someone please tell me when they are ready for me to sign something... remember the sooner we get this stuff out the better :fork:

DizkneeBoi

Account Suspended
-SIR- said:
someone please tell me when they are ready for me to sign something... remember the sooner we get this stuff out the better :fork:
Like Disney is ever going to care about an online petition....:rolleyes:

DisneyPhD

DizkneeBoi said:
Like Disney is ever going to care about an online petition....:rolleyes:

They cared about the bazillon phone calls and emails they got. I emailed them so I am happy I added my voice to it.

I will sign the petition too.

Worth a try.

longfamily

DizkneeBoi said:
Funny how when I first posted not to trust the original poster everyone swarms me with pos. points and now all of the sudden i'm getting negatives! How quickly things change! haha :lol: *Tell me I'm not the only one who got neg. ratings :cry: *

I recieved some negative too. I would just like to clarify to those negative feedback givers that I will not apologize. The phone numbers I have listed still say on the other line that the Magazine is still good. I don't believe in conspiracy theories or Jim Hill. The Orlando sentinal recieved it's info from Jim Hill so I will take the insight of the reps that I have talked to over the opinion of a man who continuously makes false claims. When/If the rest of the year is filled with magazines at your doorstep, I will appreciate those that have given me (and others)bad rep to take a minute out of their day to give everyone positive rep points to balance the negative that they were so eager to spread around.

-SIR-

From That Orlando Sentinel Report:

"Disney confirmed for me Tuesday that it was shutting down its long-running Disney Magazine at the end of the month, with the last issue hitting newsstands this summer."

They comfirmed it with Disney not Jim Hill allthough he was mentioned... sorry

prberk

DisneyPhD said:
They cared about the bazillon phone calls and emails they got. I emailed them so I am happy I added my voice to it.

I will sign the petition too.

Worth a try.

Phone calls are great, and sometimes e-mail. But both are easy to do, especially e-mail. If you want to make a difference, especially in supporting print media such as this magazine, PLEASE take the time to write and send a REAL LETTER. I think letters in the mail will be especially strong, and even more so if they are done right away (like NOW). I think it is the best way to have a chance to get them to change their minds.

The address of the magazine's editors and decision-makers is:

Buena Vista Magazines, Inc.
114 Fifth Ave.
New York, NY 10011

Please send a simple letter today (your own, not a cut-and-paste petition), if you really care about the magazine. I did yesterday.

longfamily

One newspaper on the planet has scooped this information. How odd is that? In the same article Jim Hill is mentioned along with a Disney source. Since everyone is so fond of conspiracy theories let's take a look at this one.

Just for amusement consider this...

Most people involved in media understand that not only does a story stem from someplace but the story typically has an element of false info. Whether that is in a very small amount or on a large scale. In this particular article (again, the only source for this rumor on the planet outside of forums or Jim hill) The Disney "source" is not mentioned but the fact that Jim Hill is also advocating this story was mentioned. The article reflected almost exactly what Jim Hill wrote. It has been my experience when an article is taken from another writer, often times the "source" from the most recent article (taken from the previous) is not credited to the original author but to an undisclosed source since no one wants to go down in history as a plagerist.

I would be more inclined to give the Sentinal serious consideration if they were not the only media source scooping this particular story. Often times you will see the exact same story surface through different venues with similar wording and it is obvious that the story is not an original scoop. Internet news agencies and local newspapers/news stations do this all of the time for national and international stories.

As for the conspiracy theory I promised:), the article reflected almost verbatum what was posted on this thread, now fess up, which one of you writes for the Sentinal? :lol::lol::lol:

prberk

The Orlando Sentinel has more reason for having and pursuing Disney-related stories (and sources) than any other newspaper on the planet. They have 51,000 local workers and their relatives and friends with a vested interest in Disney. No other local paper "on the planet" has that incentive...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom