Disney Magazine Ceases Publication

KentB3

Gregory said:
Its obvious that the magazine doesn't stand a chance against the internet when it comes to news- but, should Disney give up?

I think that theres a lot they could do. Even if they sold the magazine to an outside publishing company who gave out less free subscriptions, charged a bit more, and published it almost monthly.

Disney has access to a ton of stuff that the internet doesn't. More Ask Dave type stuff, and take stuff from the archives. Have articles and pictures from a long time ago, have interviews with famous people (Imagineers, people like Eisner, etc), recipies, and exclusive stories (as someone before mentioned, you won't find great articles with equally great pictures like the one about Tony Baxter anywhere on the internet)... Getting the news out first doesn't have to be a top priority.

The magazine as it is isn't that great- theres a few good things, but recently its been lacking (same with Disney Adventures.. don't even get me started there...)... If it used the things that are good, and added onto it, I think that the Disney magazine could be revival.

EXACTLY I think you summed everything up perfectly! :animwink:

Anyway, I really do hate to see Disney Magazine end publication. Although more recent issues pale in comparison with earlier ones, it did have a lot of great artcles about the theme parks, which I have used to help with planning my upcoming (soon, hopefully!) WDW trip! :( :mad: :cry: :brick:

KentB3

Gregory said:
http://www.the-e-ticket.com/

I don't like it only because its mostly Disneyland.. And, it has other parks mixed in..

I tried LP magazine, but its also mostly DL.. and, theres basically no content in the magazine...

WDWMagic should get together to make a magazine :lookaroun

That would be great, but how would WDWMagic get together to start a magazine for actual publication and selling of the magazine?

Any clue? :confused:

MKCustodial

I don't think it'd be possible, because Magic would be profitting (i.e. selling a magazine) on copyrighted material. That's why I mentioned it'd be good if the DM staff opened up a site of their own. They could handle the news AND still pop out good articles because they are in the know with all those interesting people.

Captain Chaos

From DizNews -

Disney confirmed Tuesday that it was shutting down its long-running "Disney Magazine" at the end of the month, with the last issue hitting newsstands this summer. Apparently the last issue will cover the 50th anniversary of California's Disneyland. The magazine is a quarterly publication with features on the theme parks, movies and anything else that would drive sales for the Mouse. The circulation is in excess of 1 million, though a chunk of that was freebies for season pass holders. The magazine has been around in one form or another for more than 40 years.

-SIR-

that e-ticket magazine looks very nicely done... If it included more about WDW I would consider buying it, tho nothing can totally replace something you have been reading for ten years :(

Captain Chaos

from Jim Hill Media today 4/13/2005:

Mouse House department heads take issue with "Disney" Magazine's sudden closure
"Not so fast!," say various Disney VPs. Jim Hill reports how in-house complaints could possibly lead to a reprieve for this venerable publication.
by Jim Hill

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This was NOT how executives at Buena Vista Magazines (I.E. The subsidiary of Disney Publishing Worldwide which -- obviously -- handles the company's magazines) had expected things to go down.

When it came to last week's sudden closure of "Disney" Magazine ... What these execs had been hoping for was that things would go pretty much the way they'd gone with last month's sale of "Discover" Magazine. As in: The media would basically ignore BVM's announcement that Disney was selling off this publication. And there'd be few (if any) complaints from the magazine's subscribers.

Well, obviously, that's NOT what happened with the shuttering of "Disney" Magazine. Since the news broke early Monday afternoon that this fan favorite was ceasing publication, the folks at Buena Vista Magazines suddenly found themselves in the middle of a firestorm.

By that I mean: The phone has supposedly not stopped ringing at BVM's New York offices since word initially began leaking out about "Disney" Magazine's sudden closure.

Mind you, it's not just the hardcore Disney fans who are calling to express their outrage & frustration with Buena Vista Magazine's decision to shut down "Disney" Magazine. Some very powerful (More importantly, some very angry) heads of other divisions of the Mouse House have also allegedly been calling in. Making it quite clear that they are furious that their departments were not consulted prior to this decision being made.

Why all the rage? Because these various divisions of the Disney corporation rely heavily on their ability to reach diehard Disney fans in order to sell their goods & services. And -- with "Disney" Magazine's unexpected closure -- a crucial line of communication has suddenly been cut off.

Given that there were reportedly some very heavy hitters calling in to express their anger & disappointment with Buena Vista Magazines' decision to suddenly shutter "Disney" Magazine (I'm told that among the Mouse House officials who chimed in were senior officials from Disney Theme Parks & Resorts, Disney Theatrical, Disney Consumer Products as well as Buena Vista Home Entertainment), there have been some rumblings that this publication might actually get a reprieve.

As of this moment, however, officials at Buena Vista Magazines are sticking to their guns. Insisting that they made the right decision to shut down "Disney" Magazine (Which -- occuring to BVM insiders -- only had a paid subscription base of 500,000) so that they could then focus their efforts on "FamilyFun" magazine (With a reported subscription base of 1.9 million) & "Disney Adventure" magazine (With a reported subscription base of 1.2 million). Not to mention that division's upcoming launch of "Wondertime" magazine, a brand-new publication aimed at the mother-and-child market. Which BVM hopes to have hit newsstands during the first quarter of 2006.

I've heard that the higher-ups at Buena Vista Magazines have supposedly been working the phones very hard over the past 36 hours. Trying to placate various VPs at the Walt Disney Company. Insisting that they made the right decision. More importantly, that these divisions of the Mouse House will still be able to reach the key customers that they crave by placing ads and/or providing fodder for features that can run in "FamilyFun," "Disney Adventure" and (eventually) "Wondertime" magazines.

But -- as the mainstream media begins to pick up on this story -- again there are those rumblings. Reportedly coming out from folks very high up in the Mouse House. Suggestions that BVM needs to get a lid on this crisis and fast. Why for? Because people in the Team Disney Burbank building are beginning to worry that the sudden closure of "Disney" Magazine could turn into a major PR disaster for the company.

"How so?," you ask. Well, let's consider that -- just in three weeks' time -- the media will be descending on Anaheim & Orlando. Hundreds of reporters flying in from around the globe to cover the launch of Disney's "Happiest Homecoming on Earth" celebration. Which (obstensively) is an 18-month-long event designed to celebrate Disneyland's 50th anniversary.

Well, how's it going to look if the Walt Disney Company -- with little or no warning to that publication's staffers -- suddenly shuts down one of the very first vehicles that the corporation successfully used to promote that theme park? Given that "Disney" Magazine (if you take into account its earlier incarnations, "Disney News" & "Vacationland" magazine) is almost as old as Disneyland ... Isn't that going to lead to some pretty awkward questions from reporters? Like "How can the Walt Disney Company be asking the public to come celebrate Disneyland's past when the Mouse seems so eager to shed important parts of its own corporate heritage?"

Okay. I know. That's a somewhat labored analogy. But it honestly isn't going to be as easy for Mickey to shrug off questions like that as one might think. Particularly given that the very last issue of "Disney" Magazine (I.E. The Summer 2005 edition. The one that DM staffers are currently putting to bed even as they pack up their offices) is virtually an 88-page valentine to Disneyland and the theme park's 50th anniversary.

Of course, what really isn't helping matters that the writers & editors at "Disney" Magazine are now reaching out to their friends in the media and beginning to talk about how short-sighted Mouse House management is, how furious various VPs at the Walt Disney Company are for not being consulted on the publication's closure, etc.

So will all of this extra heat & light on the "Disney" Magazine closure story be enough to earn that publication a last minute reprieve? Right now, it's pretty hard to say. But JHM will be keeping a close watch on this still-evolving situation. And if there are any interesting developments ... Well, we'll be sure & pass them along.

Ashitaka

As this is now a confirmed story (LaughingPlace says there is an article in the Orlando Sentinel this morning), I believe it is time us all to thank imamouse for giving us the info first.

And for a couple of people here to apologize to her for basically calling her a liar.

(Rep point coming your way imamouse. :wave: )

Captain Chaos

Let's start a written campaign to Iger and the heads of Disney. Our voices are strong and will be heard. This is Iger's next chance to show he is worthy of the post. he said department heads will be responsible for decisions? Well, here is a PR nightmare waiting to happen. Let's see what he does with this...

Where can we find the addresses of the management of the Disney Co as well as the management of the Disney Magazine? I'll start the letter writing.

Captain Chaos

From The Orlando Sentinel.Com:

Disney Magazine nears end of run
Published April 13, 2005
By Susan Strother Clarke

More big changes at the Mouse.

Disney confirmed for me Tuesday that it was shutting down its long-running Disney Magazine at the end of the month, with the last issue hitting newsstands this summer.

The company wouldn't spill much more. The appropriate veep, it seems, was tied up in meetings.

Apparently the last issue will cover the 50th anniversary of California's Disneyland -- and then, kaput.

You have to wonder -- again -- if this is more trimming in the name of almighty "efficiency." That was the explanation given twice last week -- both when the company laid off 25 people in Orlando and when it confirmed, after a certain columnist's quizzing, that it may outsource its information-technology jobs.

Disney Magazine is a quarterly pub with features on the theme parks, movies and anything else that would drive sales for the Mouse. The circulation is in excess of 1 million, though a chunk of that was freebies for season pass holders, I'm told.

No word on how many jobs will be affected, but probably few to none in Central Florida. The pub's editorial offices are in Northampton, Mass.

Jim Hill, who tracks all things Disney on his Web site (www.jimhillmedia.com), said the magazine has been around in one form or another for more than 40 years.

SPEAKING OF . . . that possible outsourcing, Disney still says no decision has been made about hiring a vendor to take over some of its domestic IT work.

But I can see why employees may think it's a done deal -- and fear losing their jobs.

The company is holding two-dozen resume-writing classes for IT workers in Orlando, New York and several cities in California, according to an internal e-mail.

The tech employees maintain computers and oversee software systems.

The classes began last week and are run by Drake Beam Morin, whose services include helping workers who are losing jobs.

Employees also told me Disney has said that, while it's not certain it will farm out its IT work, it has nonetheless narrowed the list of vendors to two -- IBM and Affiliated Computer Services, a Texas company. Neither company would confirm whether they were part of the bid.

But employees wonder why Disney would have a short list if outsourcing weren't all but certain. I'm told hundreds of jobs could be affected. Disney has said that, should it outsource, employees could be picked up by the new company.

Two months ago, Disney hired Tony Scott as its chief information officer. Scott, based in California, had worked in a similar capacity at General Motors.

Part of his responsibilities with the automaker included -- broadly -- working with that company's outsource vendors.

Some Disney employees see Scott's hiring as more evidence that the outside vendor question has been answered.

"Have they made up their mind? I think they have and most cast members think they have," said one IT worker in Orlando.

netenyahoo

What is the best person/phone # to call to let them know how I feel about this decision.

I think it is rotten that they are doing this. Family Fun and some mother child magazine will not appeal to most Disney fans that are currently subscribing to Disney Magazine. This is just a bad decision especially because it is a big year for Disney with DL's 50th like Jim Hill said. If they were to hold off a couple year then I bet there would be a little less protest.

Captain Chaos

By the way, does anyone have an address to subscribe to e-ticket magazine? I have been to their site, got the form, but no address to mail it to.

imamouse

Original Poster
Aaka said:
As this is now a confirmed story (LaughingPlace says there is an article in the Orlando Sentinel this morning), I believe it is time us all to thank imamouse for giving us the info first.

And for a couple of people here to apologize to her for basically calling her a liar.

(Rep point coming your way imamouse. :wave: )

Aaka ~ Thanks for your support and for the + rep point. In a classic case of shooting the messenger, I racked up lots of negative rep points for this thread in addition to the [unnecessary] name-calling. Your post brighten my day considerably!

Ashitaka

imamouse said:
Aaka ~ Thanks for your support and for the + rep point. In a classic case of shooting the messenger, I racked up lots of negative rep points for this thread in addition to the [unnecessary] name-calling. Your post brighten my day considerably!

You're welcome!

People gave you neg rep points too?! :fork: Oooooh, that makes me mad!

Better start making amends people. When you were wrong you should fess up and admit it.

imamouse gave us the straight scoop. Show her some love and send her those positive rep points she deserves.

xfkirsten

longfamily said:
realize that we are not all trapped in some conspiracy theory to purchase another magazine publication. :lookaroun

If it were the case that the Disney magazine was now defunct (which it is not) and they were offering their customers the opportunity to switch over to another company magazine or to recieve a refund if they were not interested in a different magazine then they would not lie to you to trick you into purchasing a subsciption for a magazine that is no longer available. Right then they would give you the alternatives that they have to offer.

This is not currently the case. If the magazine were gone, customer service would try to talk you into subscribing to a different publication and they would not accept new subscriptions, which they are. They are also still accepting entries for the classified section.

I find it humorous that after so many people have talked to reps and have heard that the magazine has no intention of shutting down that some of you continue to believe this absurd rumor. no worries;)

Just like that time last May when I went around asking every Guest Relations CM what would be replacing Believe here at DL in a few days, and everyone of them looked at me blankly like I was nuts? They told me Believe was not leaving til the 50th started. I knew, they didn't. As others have said, the customer service people my not truly know the answer! They may honestly think it's still going.

We know the truth now, but I thought I'd throw this out there anyways. Customer Service reps in these types of situations do not always know as much as they think they do, so take their answers to this type of question with a grain of salt.

Captain Chaos

Imamouse, I gave you a positive rep point too...

Now when you come back and say the magazine will not cease publication, I'll give you more positive feedback :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom