Disney is going to scale back the Polynesian DVC plans in a big way.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Uh never said I had been to Hawaii. Your attitude though explains a lot about your personality. Again read my post fully before you stick your foot in your mouth again. If you have to blab your smart mouth some more, I suggest doing so in a PM to save yourself from being publicly ridiculed. Have a pleasant day.
Just because you don't understand my post - doesn't make it wrong.

cspencer96

I honestly am praying that the Yacht Club will have a DVC expansion around the time...I could afford a DVC membership.
I wish the Yacht Club would have been the one to receive the DVC treatment, and not Beach Club. But Beach Club has DVC, so it is very, very unlikely Yacht Club will be expanded to include a DVC wing, considering they are almost the same resort in most respects other than theming (and service ;)). Yacht Club is more my taste, reminds me of my neighborhood and where I live with the Disney difference. If you are considering DVC and would like to have the Beach/Yacht Club area be your home resort, look into the resale market.

Now, about the Polynesian. I really hope Disney does it right with this DVC expansion, the Polynesian is stunning and would be an amazing addition to the DVC portfolio of resorts if executed well.

Tom

Beta Return
I wish the Yacht Club would have been the one to receive the DVC treatment, and not Beach Club. But Beach Club has DVC, so it is very, very unlikely Yacht Club will be expanded to include a DVC wing, considering they are almost the same resort in most respects other than theming (and service ;)). Yacht Club is more my taste, reminds me of my neighborhood and where I live with the Disney difference. If you are considering DVC and would like to have the Beach/Yacht Club area be your home resort, look into the resale market.

Now, about the Polynesian. I really hope Disney does it right with this DVC expansion, the Polynesian is stunning and would be an amazing addition to the DVC portfolio of resorts if executed well.

I agree. And "executed well" does not include a Jambo House style retrofit. New buildings or bust.

GLaDOS

Sure it was. Here is the pic from the Disney Springs announcement. I guess they decided it would be a better fit to move it to the Poly.

photo15.jpg

No it wasn't it was from an internal Powerpoint presentation slide

Yup. It was a placeholder to show Disney would be opening Disney venues inside Springs as well. It was never going to come to the area.

IMJeffrey

Rats. The water feature and the atrium are a big part of that resort for me personally.

Yes, I completely agree. I would very much miss the water feature in the main house. IMO it would, without a doubt, change the whole feeling of the Polynesian Resort. When I was a kid my family stayed at the Polynesian Resort (before Epcot was even started to be built) and I was amazed at the "huge" water feature. I vividly remember it as one of my coolest memories of the resort and my first-ever WDW trip. I had never seen something like that before when I was around 10 years old. I had the pleasure to go back to WDW for the first time since being a kid (at age 45) and my family, once again stayed at the Polynesian. I still thought the water feature, although not as "huge," was still the coolest thing. It would be a shame to lose this feature.

OSUPhantom

My understanding is that demand for the Beach Club is insane and that offering the same opportunities and the Yacht Club would probably only attract DVC members who were trying to stay at the Beach Club.

fractal

I just returned from a first-time week stay at the Poly. As I entered the lobby upon arrival, the first word that came to my mind was "dated". It certainly has a "Brady-Bunch era" feel to it. I have never paid more for a hotel room in my life and can honestly say that I've stayed at many hotels at a fraction of the cost with much more impressive "water features". I appreciate the history of the Grand Ceromonial House but I would love to see some concept artwork on a redo.

During our stay we ate at the Grand Floridian, Wilderness Lodge and Kidani Village. Upon entering those lobbies, the reaction from my wife and kids were always the same; "Wow! Why couldn't we stay here?". The grounds of the Poly are beautiful ( except for the occasional rat ),the location is great and the new rooms are very well done, but the lobby for us was a bit dissapointing. I'm also not sure if I love the scent or not.

As for the Volcano Pool, it was a big step down from Storm-along-Bay. It's smaller than I anticipated and the deepest part is a bit over 4 feet. It does offer a nice view of the top of the castle and is a great place to watch wishes. The Volcano is not quite up to the typical Disney standard of realism and it would have been cool to see some eruption effects. The slide however was surprisingly fast and thrilling, which contrasted with the "big kiddie" feel of the pool itself.

I will reserve final judgement until I see what the plans are for a new lobby and pool. As Walt said; "keep moving forward".

flynnibus

Premium Member
I just returned from a first-time week stay at the Poly. As I entered the lobby upon arrival, the first word that came to my mind was "dated". It certainly has a "Brady-Bunch era" feel to it.

As hawaii seems to have a lot of too. It's like a lot of the 70s/80s build up happened and things just got stuck. It's not like a Vegas which has continually re-amped the idea of luxury and style. Hawaii has a bit of that throwback.. almost awkward where people can't believe they really do hand out these lais, etc.

Polynesian theming is a bit faux paux in our speeding society on the main land.. but out there.. things seem to be at a different speed :)

Beuford

Its amazing how out of all the resorts, none receive the amount conversation, debate, admiration and distaste as the Polynesian. I suppose it adds to the reason it is one of if not the most popular resort on property. For those who dislike it and want it changed so much, I say stay at another. The great thing about Disney is there are so many choices. Overpriced you say, you bet! The entire world is, but if it makes you smile great. The resort makes me smile, its the only place we stay and may be the main reason we go to the world so often. Ive tried all the others, but its the only one that I want to be at. The Polynesian fans know what I mean. Its almost hard to explain what we like so much about it, but the feeling is overwhelming as to how much we love it. I know what I say will not influence the design or changes of it, but I hope it stays true to its uniqueness. Besides if it became just like every other resort we wouldn't spend much time at the world and I would have to find something to spend all that money on lol!:joyfull:

tikiman

Original Poster
Its amazing how out of all the resorts, none receive the amount conversation, debate, admiration and distaste as the Polynesian. I suppose it adds to the reason it is one of if not the most popular resort on property. For those who dislike it and want it changed so much, I say stay at another. The great thing about Disney is there are so many choices. Overpriced you say, you bet! The entire world is, but if it makes you smile great. The resort makes me smile, its the only place we stay and may be the main reason we go to the world so often. Ive tried all the others, but its the only one that I want to be at. The Polynesian fans know what I mean. Its almost hard to explain what we like so much about it, but the feeling is overwhelming as to how much we love it. I know what I say will not influence the design or changes of it, but I hope it stays true to its uniqueness. Besides if it became just like every other resort we wouldn't spend much time at the world and I would have to find something to spend all that money on lol!:joyfull:

People do love to hate the Polynesian and they enjoy making people feel like they are crazy or have bad taste for liking the resort. I for one have a few deluxe resorts I do not like and find many faults with but hunting down postings about those resorts and trashing them is not really constructive to me and won’t make those resorts change. I also don’t think my opinion is any better than someone elses so I don’t feel I need to save people from making the mistake of staying at those resorts. Maybe I would be keeping them from staying at a place that is perfect for them. Just because I think it is not for me doesn't mean others will not love it.

People that have gone to the Polynesian alot know that it is not dated (as in worn out) because we know how often things are replaced and redone. While the theme is not a modern theme, it was never intended to be modern. Modern resorts in Hawaii, Tahiti or New Zealand don’t need to be themed for their location because they are surrounded by the theme. The Polynesian combines styles from the islands of the past with a little bit of Disney's Adventureland. I don’t see anyone calling the Boardwalk outdated for being an early 20th century design. Should we make it look more modern and not so dated?

DVCrockett

I hear that the plans for the DVC at the Polynesian is still to start this year and finish by 2015 or 2016 but they are not going to do as much as was in the original design. Also major changes to the GCH and addition of Trader Sams. I hope to have more I can share soon.

In line with what Tikiman (Steve) has posted on his site and others,
there are now plans on the South Florida Water Management District's website
detailing work to be done at the Polynesian resort including mention of pilings
in the lagoon for future development.

The areas sepcified include the
lagoon, Tahiti, Rapa Nui and the parking lot.

Quoted from the Stormwater
Report:

The Polynesian Rehab project is located on the shoreline of
the Seven Seas Lagoon in Lake
Buena Vista, FL. (refer to Exhibit I).The work
to be conducted on this site includes new parking
facilities, vehicular
circulation improvements, pedestrian pathways, utilities, and fire
access.
The project will also include the installation of pilings along the
neighboring lagoon that will
support future structures and an off-site
drainage control weir to be built at the adjacent golf
course pond located
off-site to the southwest. All proposed improvements, with the exception
of
the off-site weir, are located within the grounds of Disney’s Polynesian
Resort located on 1600
W Seven Seas Drive.

The list of documents can be found here:

http://my.sfwmd.gov/ePermitting/PopulateLOVs.do?flag=1

Type in "Reedy Creek" for Company Name and then change the year in From Date to 2013 and then hit "Search Records"

The Poly project is number 130729-2. Click that numer and the list of documents should be displayed.

Last edited:

tikiman

Original Poster
In line with what Tikiman (Steve) has posted on his site and others,
there are now plans on the South Florida Water Management District's website
detailing work to be done at the Polynesian resort including mention of pilings
in the lagoon for future development.

The areas sepcified include the
lagoon, Tahiti, Rapa Nui and the parking lot.

Quoted from the Stormwater
Report:

The Polynesian Rehab project is located on the shoreline of
the Seven Seas Lagoon in Lake
Buena Vista, FL. (refer to Exhibit I).The work
to be conducted on this site includes new parking
facilities, vehicular
circulation improvements, pedestrian pathways, utilities, and fire
access.
The project will also include the installation of pilings along the
neighboring lagoon that will
support future structures and an off-site
drainage control weir to be built at the adjacent golf
course pond located
off-site to the southwest. All proposed improvements, with the exception
of
the off-site weir, are located within the grounds of Disney’s Polynesian
Resort located on 1600
W Seven Seas Drive.

The list of documents can be found here:

http://my.sfwmd.gov/ePermitting/PopulateLOVs.do?flag=1

Type in "Reedy Creek" for Company Name and then change the year in From Date to 2013 and then hit "Search Records"

The Poly project is number 130729-2. Click that numer and the list of documents should be displayed.

You can see the new path around Tahiti and Sunset Pointe as well as paths into the water where the bungalows will go.

muteki

something tells me the swamp water of the seven seas lagoon isn't quite comparable to the crystal blue ocean waters :)
They will just do it like the magic portholes on the cruise line. There will be a TV embedded in the floor that will display crystal blue water with characters from Finding Nemo© and the Little Mermaid™ visiting you during your stay, instead of brown water, alligators, and brain-eating amoebae.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I am told the bungalows are part of the current plan.

The plans show lots of pilings out in the lagoon. All the little black dots in these two segments of the plans are for pilings. Looking close at the plans you can also see parallel pairs of pilings running back to the land which would be for walkways.

Poly1.png

Poly2.png

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom