Disney is going to scale back the Polynesian DVC plans in a big way.

tikiman

Original Poster
Beat me to it :)

I was going to try to photoshop the outline of the bungalows, but you can make them out good enough in your snippets. Looks like there will be about 20 of them....completely ruining the view from Hawaii and Tahiti.

You would be surprised how much those longhouses sit up from the water. I think if they are single level the ground floor rooms will see over them.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I did it to get a feel for how much walkway would be needed to get to them and to confirm there would be 20 of them...

Polybungalows1-13.png

Polybungalows12-20.png

Seriously??? They actually have the nuts to do this??

When people hear hits over water in Polynesia .. They are thinking of images everyone sees from the Maldives - not the bayou!!

olinecoach61

Looking at the map and tikimans Facebook stuff and google images it appears to me that the view from the beach will be preserved. There might be some line of sight loss on sunset point, and it will def change the view from the rooms themselves.

Tom

Beta Return
Looking at the map and tikimans Facebook stuff and google images it appears to me that the view from the beach will be preserved. There might be some line of sight loss on sunset point, and it will def change the view from the rooms themselves.

Looks like the first floor elevation of Tahiti is 101.72 (feet above sea level) and water level appears to be 94, as near as I can tell from the contour maps. If they keep the villas close to water level, their floors will be 2-4' below the floor of Tahiti. It's hard to imagine what the line of sight will be over them. They'll want to keep the roofs fairly low profile.

I would venture to say that they'll do all the work at the same time (as in, Tahiti remodel and construction of bungalows), because the bungalow construction, and all of this associated path and beach work is going to be extremely disruptive to Tahiti rooms - at least the beach side. If people thought the GF Villas were annoying, that proximity to guests doesn't hold a candle to this work.

Out of curiosity, I compared the actual room size of the current rooms in Tahiti to the size of the rooms at Aulani (the only DVC plans I currently have access to). Aulani rooms average 13' x 26'. Poly rooms average 14' x 31'. So, that eases my fear of the Tahiti remodel resulting in something like Jambo. The rooms will be decently sized for a DVC villa.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
You would be surprised how much those longhouses sit up from the water. I think if they are single level the ground floor rooms will see over them.
I was thinking the same thing. The bungalows will also not need to be drastically above the water, no more than the current boat docks at least, as they do not have to worry about tides, flood, storm surge and the like.

sublimesting

What I don't get is this:
Disney wants to remove the water feature in the Polynesian lobby. The same as they did with most of the water features throughout the parks (20KLincluded). Probably put more potted plants there. But here's the kicker: They give Disney Springs the go ahead. ?!

Soarin' Over Pgh

Flynn, PERFECT. That's exactly what I was thinking.

Disney has this idea that itll be so cool to have these sitting above the water.. but realistically, youll have to protect the idiot guests from themselves- so all the walkways will be fenced on both sides, and also ADA compliant... so there will have to be more than two connections to the land/beach as well. Then there's the "oooh lookit the pretty (eww) water BUT DONT TOUCH IT" factor.

Whats the point of staying in a bungalow on the water when the water is gross and smells and you can't go in it, anyhow? Not to mention the logistics of, well, above. The walkways, making it wheelchair/ECV compliant, etc....

Is this really their plan, because it sounds awful.

flynnibus

Premium Member

Disney has this idea that itll be so cool to have these sitting above the water.. but realistically, youll have to protect the idiot guests from themselves- so all the walkways will be fenced on both sides, and also ADA compliant... so there will have to be more than two connections to the land/beach as well. Then there's the "oooh lookit the pretty (eww) water BUT DONT TOUCH IT" factor.

I think those factors are manageable .. simply railed walkwalks.. no steps... it's a loop so you already have two exit paths, etc. I just don't think being out on the water is that elegant on this lagoon.

Maybe they'll shock us with how good it is... but I guess I've lost that optimism with Disney's output.

Tom

Beta Return

Whats the point of staying in a bungalow on the water when the water is gross and smells and you can't go in it, anyhow? Not to mention the logistics of, well, above. The walkways, making it wheelchair/ECV compliant, etc....

Is this really their plan, because it sounds awful.

They'll just encase the villas in Plexiglas, like much of the cruise ships.

majortom1981

Not happy about the waterfall, it is such a major focal point. as for the DVC shacks, its yet another place to try or better still drain bodies away from WL villas so I have a better chance of getting one.

The problem is that the poly dvc would bring in a lot of new dvc members who were waiting for poly dvc to be built.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom