Disney is going to scale back the Polynesian DVC plans in a big way.

majortom1981

People who are not buying dvc should still be happy about this. Trader Sams is the reason why. tikiman stated trader Sams will be going in also here.

That alone is worth it. I am DVC and I care more about trader sams. We went to trader sams at Disneyland and it rocked. I cant wait.

tikiman

Original Poster
I love the Polynesian and I was worried about their initial design with the two 5 story buildings but honestly I don’t see the addition of the bungalows off to the side being devastating to the look of the resort. I guess Walt was crazy when he was going to have exactly that (bungalows on the waters edge) in the original design for the Polynesian.

Other than the bungalows there will not be much visual difference. If anything, the people that were originally at the Polynesian Village had the right to say that they were changing the resort when they added the last two longhouses in 1985. That changed the look drastically. The DVC rooms in the two longhouses will not change the look of the resort.

With DVC coming in they are taking the time to fix up the paths, infrastructure, the pool area, add in new things and fix up the GCH that has needed attention for about 8 years now. Sounds like if anything DVC is bringing improvements to the resort without changing the look. It is not like the look of the Polynesian has not changed since 1971 anyway. I will wait to judge the final product when they are finished.

kkocka

People who are not buying dvc should still be happy about this. Trader Sams is the reason why. tikiman stated trader Sams will be going in also here.

That alone is worth it. I am DVC and I care more about trader sams. We went to trader sams at Disneyland and it rocked. I cant wait.

News and updates on a Poly Trader Sam's is the reason I joined this forum, heh. Verrrrry curious about this one.

Buried20KLeague

Maintenance costs would be quite high when having a sand bottom pool. Then what happens when the wind pushes waves of water over the top of the divider wall?

I agree that it would be a huge plus to have a true blue water sandy beach atmosphere, but at what cost?

Maybe convert the pool into a sand bottom and expand to have a small lazy river like YC/BC or Aulani

Not that I think they'll actually do it... But if they did, maintenance costs could/would be covered by yearly dues.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
I love the Polynesian and I was worried about their initial design with the two 5 story buildings but honestly I don’t see the addition of the bungalows off to the side being devastating to the look of the resort. I guess Walt was crazy when he was going to have exactly that (bungalows on the waters edge) in the original design for the Polynesian.

Other than the bungalows there will not be much visual difference. If anything, the people that were originally at the Polynesian Village had the right to say that they were changing the resort when they added the last two longhouses in 1985. That changed the look drastically. The DVC rooms in the two longhouses will not change the look of the resort.

With DVC coming in they are taking the time to fix up the paths, infrastructure, the pool area, add in new things and fix up the GCH that has needed attention for about 8 years now. Sounds like if anything DVC is bringing improvements to the resort without changing the look. It is not like the look of the Polynesian has not changed since 1971 anyway. I will wait to judge the final product when they are finished.

Thank you.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
Not that I think they'll actually do it... But if they did, maintenance costs could/would be covered by yearly dues.

Biggest problem is the infernal grass that grows along the edge. BLT and the CR is inundated with that. Any development on the water front would need to address that, otherwise after a couple of months it will become overgrown and an eyesore.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Biggest problem is the infernal grass that grows along the edge. BLT and the CR is inundated with that. Any development on the water front would need to address that, otherwise after a couple of months it will become overgrown and an eyesore.
The person that solves that issue will be a billionaire. That grass is commonly referred to as torpedo grass. It is commonly used on lake and drainage ditch banks to prevent erosion. It is one of the most invasive weeds you can get in southern lawns and nothing fully kills it. You can soak it down with Roundup, but if you don't dig it up and spray the root tubes it will just come back. I had a 10 X 10 patch of it in my backyard and it took 2 years worth of spraying, tilling and respraying to get rid of it.

dgp602

Losing the water feature is devastating. The Poly is my favorite resort and I've never even stayed there. The lobby is one my favorite places in wdw period and I feel like they're taking away a big part of the Poly's magic!

Part of me tries to live by the theory that WDW was never meant to be a museum. I get that. Growth, change and upgrades are inevitable. However, what keeps me going back to Disney year after year is the familiar sights and sounds that as a child I shared with my parents, and now as a dad, I share with my kids. That connection cannot be duplicated at Universal or Seaworld or any other major theme park. For instance, when I walk into Poly on that first day of my trip, I am hit with the sight, sound and smell of that beautiful fountain!! It immediately transports me to 1977 and my first trip as a 10 yr old. THAT is what the Disney planners are missing when they destroy/replace cherished rides ( see Snow White ) or places. Certain rides, certain places within the World, should be protected and treated as "special". Now the question becomes, "Well, who decides what is special and what isn't?". The answer? I think some places and some rides are obvious. I mean really, in the Magic Kingdom we are probably only talking about a handful of rides ( a couple of which are now gone ). The same goes for the World. Example? The Hoop Dee Do Review. I think, but I could be wrong, that this show is universally liked and should forever have a place at Disney. The fountain at Poly is, I believe, another one of the universally cherished places.

ToTBellHop

The person that solves that issue will be a billionaire. That grass is commonly referred to as torpedo grass. It is commonly used on lake and drainage ditch banks to prevent erosion. It is one of the most invasive weeds you can get in southern lawns and nothing fully kills it. You can soak it down with Roundup, but if you don't dig it up and spray the root tubes it will just come back. I had a 10 X 10 patch of it in my backyard and it took 2 years worth of spraying, tilling and respraying to get rid of it.
worse than a fungal infection!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom