Disney is going to scale back the Polynesian DVC plans in a big way.

aladdin2007

Most of us I think, and certainly myself, love to visit the Polynesian as it exists. Our concern is for what it may become. It is not that we object to change (though there are things in WDW which should be preserved for history), but rather we are justifiably concerned that a changed Polynesian will be inferior to the Polynesian we have now. Consider the sad tale of Journey into Imagination.

Exactly!

MarkTwain

So the whole idea is to have a clean view from the front door out to the pool area? How long before they toss a bunch of garbage merch kiosks in the way to block said view?

That and it's such a poorly-conceived design idea anyway. How much of the pool area can you even see from the lobby? As I recall there are quite a few trees in the way blocking any views between the GCH and the pool.

Last edited:

emcclay

This will probably take a fast pass+ to reserve a seat.

LOL- reservations 180 days out & FP+?
tumblr_inline_mx5kk2lmpG1qg1ppe.gif

tikiman

Original Poster
First of all I don’t think we should judge a design before we even see it. While I am not happy about the waterfall being removed I don’t feel I can judge their decision until I see what they do outside of the concept drawings. I don’t see it becoming white walls and tan carpet with nothing interesting in the lobby at all. As for the view from the doors of the lobby, you can see directly to the castle. I would ignore the way things look from the GCH to the pool now because the new design is to remove the large volcano structure (leaving the slide in the form that it is. But much of the area from the GCH to the beach will be redone. If you look at photos from the 2000 pool reconstruction they removed all the trees and bushes and put in new ones in places they wanted them. The only tree they worked around was the Kukui Nut tree they placed on property with the time capsule as seen in the photos from fiestafuncenter.blogspot.com

Considering the new wet play area and Trader Sam’s is going in where the patio is now outside the Arcade and Captain Cook’s, I would expect the affected construction area to be similar to what it was when they build the volcano pool in 2000. In fact, the submitted permits for the GCH show a map of the GCH and oddly enough the area near the pool looks to have a different layout than it has now. This might be an indication of what is going to happen there. I wish I had a better copy so I could read what it says near the pool layout.

scan0039.jpg

scan0034+%25282%2529.jpg

Zac Skellington

The lobby is simply breath taking, esp. If you've never been before. The combination of "that poly smell" and the bright orchids and the gentle sounds of flowing water and subtle white noise is second to none. I literally stood in the doorway taking it in for a moment.

As a fan of disney and of this resort I would be horrified to walk in the main doors and not hear water, not smell gardenia bamboo pineapple and... There's another note I'm missing, regardless...

Uh, mildew? Lol. I know what you mean. I think I'll visit her one last time at the end of the month. Kind of sad...

tikiman

Original Poster
I for one am glad the volcano is going away, I thought it was kind of ridiculous... I hope they'll go back to something more like the original, low key, grotto pool

1977PolyPool01.jpg

Well the slide I am told will remain the way it is layed out but the volcano formation around it will change to more of a lower rock formation. The pool itself will remain the shape and size it is but the pool deck area will change and get larger taking up the area where the boat rental is now. It will be intersting to see how it turns out in a year.

tl77

Well the slide I am told will remain the way it is layed out but the volcano formation around it will change to more of a lower rock formation. The pool itself will remain the shape and size it is but the pool deck area will change and get larger taking up the area where the boat rental is now. It will be intersting to see how it turns out in a year.

ok, yeah I think it's the boat rental side that seems really out of place to me, from that side the illusion that it's a "real" volcano don't work so good. Everything else around the poly seems so naturalistic but the volcano seems a little like Brer Rabbit's vacation home or something

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
The GCH was something completely unique and beautiful, TDO has shown recently that they do not care for unique and beautiful, GCH lobby will probably look something like BLT lobby with flagstones instead of faux marble for flooring perhaps a few Tiki elements but it will be designed so it's CHEAP to maintain and install DVC kiosks and merchandise carts on every available square foot.

Greatest damage Disney under Iger has done is to train us to expect cheap and nasty instead of Amazing, FLE could have been been amazing instead its a hot barren expanse with a underwhelming omnimover ride as its centerpiece.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Uh, mildew? Lol. I know what you mean. I think I'll visit her one last time at the end of the month. Kind of sad...

The Mildew comes from lack of maintenance it will be there in the NEW lobby in a couple of weeks as well, Hire enough staff to adequately clean a resort - someones bonus would not be as big if the resorts were white glove clean like they USED to be.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom