Disney is going to scale back the Polynesian DVC plans in a big way.

mvelez15

I for one am excited about this and will be lining up to purchase points. Getting to use my points to stay at my favorite resort , count me in. Specially with a Trader Sams. Went for the first time this year and fell in love, it is something that has been sorely needed in WDW since the removal of the Adventurers Club(could never replace it but will still ease some of the pain from its closure:().

In light of all of this, we were thinking about booking the Poly for our trip 1st week in January. Get to see the place one last time as we knew it. But I don't really want to do it if the Great Ceremonial House is torn up during our stay. Anyone have any info on when they may start that part of it?

tikiman

Original Poster
In light of all of this, we were thinking about booking the Poly for our trip 1st week in January. Get to see the place one last time as we knew it. But I don't really want to do it if the Great Ceremonial House is torn up during our stay. Anyone have any info on when they may start that part of it?

By January I would expect the pool to be closed for resurfacing and DVC construction i full swing. From the bits and pieces I have been hearing from those involved either the GCH will start in the next month or so or the begining of the year. The major redesign of everythign around the pool looks like it will start in March. The completing of everything is estimated to be December 2015 or January 2016.

...From the bits and pieces I have been hearing from those involved either the GCH will start in the next month or so or the begining of the year...

Oh well. It sounds like the Great Ceremonial House will be torn up either before or during my stay. I wasn't so much concerned about the DVC stuff (those longhouses didn't even exist during my first stay) or the pool. It was more the awesome ambiance the Great Ceremonial House had. I'm not saying the new layout isn't going to be nice, but I just wanted to experience it one more time as I have always known it.

Thanks for the info Tikiman!

ABQ

Why do I have a minor heart attack everytime this thread gets bumped?

I'm dreading the day that "Poly Lobby Demo Starts xx/xx/xxxx" shows up as a new thread.

Does Disney plan on eliminating the scents that are piped through the entire resort as well? @tikiman ?
Time to ask @danlb_2000 if permits have been filed that cover the lobby demo or just those of the current exterior work underway.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I know this thread pretty much scares me lol
It shouldn't. Things have changed since my grandparents took us there in 1972 for the better...you use to get swarmed with bees at whats become Luau Cove because they discovered the massive bowl of Blue Hawaiians was chocked full of sugar. Things change and never quite measure up to memories which can become distorted. Your choice is simple: Either you want to go there as it exists or you don't.

Soarin' Over Pgh

It shouldn't. Things have changed since my grandparents took us there in 1972 for the better...you use to get swarmed with bees at whats become Luau Cove because they discovered the massive bowl of Blue Hawaiians was chocked full of sugar. Things change and never quite measure up to memories which can become distorted. Your choice is simple: Either you want to go there as it exists or you don't.

The lobby is simply breath taking, esp. If you've never been before. The combination of "that poly smell" and the bright orchids and the gentle sounds of flowing water and subtle white noise is second to none. I literally stood in the doorway taking it in for a moment.

As a fan of disney and of this resort I would be horrified to walk in the main doors and not hear water, not smell gardenia bamboo pineapple and... There's another note I'm missing, regardless... To see everything basically whitewashed would be a sad sight indeed. It's such a unique experience as is, I just hope they don't wreck that for a "modern" whitewash, khaki tone feel.

Besides, where else can you see those gorgeous orchids besides your local conservatory, if you even have one?

CDavid

Either you want to go there as it exists or you don't.

Most of us I think, and certainly myself, love to visit the Polynesian as it exists. Our concern is for what it may become. It is not that we object to change (though there are things in WDW which should be preserved for history), but rather we are justifiably concerned that a changed Polynesian will be inferior to the Polynesian we have now. Consider the sad tale of Journey into Imagination.

SoupBone

I'm way late to this thread, but will you be able to purchase this as your DVC home location now? I had been consideering the DVC for a while now, and that's another thing I would like about it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom