Disney Imagineering Testing Dragon

csm

Either way... the blog/tumblr thing wasn't necessary if this isn't meant for guests in any way, shape or form. I just refuse to believe it's for a one-night press-only event... Ricky saying so or not. :D

Still doubt me now that Disney confirmed it? Or are they wrong too? :p

jdmdisney99

Or Disney's just pulling one over on us and at the "Around the World" presentation they'll announce The Adventures of Sleeping Beauty ride and Cars Land for DHS.

RSoxNo1

This has to be one of the biggest blunders that the PR dept has made in recent times. Market something to guests, through twitter, facebook and the company blog, then never actually let paying guests see it. But instead show it to the supposed "media", which these days includes anyone with a Wordpress account and a podcast. There are families who pay thousands of dollars on their vacations who would love to see something like this on their vacation, but nope, it is for the blogger brigade only. The paying guests just get stuck with ancient parades and shows.
Disney's marketing department has been 100% flawless in the last 5 years. :rolleyes:

cheezbat

This has to be one of the biggest blunders that the PR dept has made in recent times. Market something to guests, through twitter, facebook and the company blog, then never actually let paying guests see it. But instead show it to the supposed "media", which these days includes anyone with a Wordpress account and a podcast. There are families who pay thousands of dollars on their vacations who would love to see something like this on their vacation, but nope, it is for the blogger brigade only. The paying guests just get stuck with ancient parades and shows.

It's WDW...what were you expecting? Remember that BIG announcement about Fantasmic adding 1,000 seats? Epic fail.

I've lost so much hope in the WDW resort. It saddens me to see Tokyo, Anaheim, and Hong Kong all going in the right direction, while our resort just sort of stumbles around wasting money and time on projects that really don't make the parks any better. (Sorry next gen lovers, the interactive queues and fastpass+ are not the answer to what these parks NEED)

Scuttle

I'm sure it's quite expensive and risky to operate.

It's without a doubt risky. Anytime you fly over a highly populated area at a low altitude it is risky. I'm assuming this thing was atleast 700 feet AGL due to an engine failure you need sufficient altitude to make an emergency landing.

No wonder this was a one time thing...TDO knows the risks of this. It could be a huge disaster, especially considering the only decent length of runway around WDW, minus world drive, is the stall port runway, but it's littered with buses now.

The Duck

This makes me think of how Disney was promoting Pirates of the Caribbean at Disneyland in the late 60's/early 70's.
Excitement grew about this amazing new pirate attraction in Anaheim that everyone assumed that it was going to be in Orlando as well. When WDW opened in 1971 and the public found out that the highly promoted POTC was NOT in the plans for WDW, complaints poured in until Disney found that they had to give the public what they wanted.

Of course, times have changed...

Enchantâmes

Why is it they spend all this time and money making these "living" characters and yet they are only in the park for a month, shipped over seas, and finally disappear never to be seen or heard of again...

TP2000

The flying dragon turned out better than I thought, at least judging from that little video.

But it all seems pretty silly if it just showed up for one night only, and only at a private party for "media". Why the need to flog it to the general public on the corporate blog, etc., if it's just a one time party trick? :rolleyes:

Are we sure it won't show up again once or twice, if only for this grand opening weekend?

stevehousse

If u think about it, what if it was an early test so to speak of something to come down the road much later??? Maybe a night time show at AK themed to avatar with flying dragon thingies and flying mountains??? Just a crazy idea I'm throwin out there!!!

But maybe this could have been a test for something else to come down the road using that kind of technology???

RalphinSC

The only thing i could think of would be an insurance or a safety issue. But then again, Disney has used small flying ultralights in guest shows before so there is precedence. But poor form to do it one night only. From the video, it looked really well done.

asianway

Looked great, but is it just me, or does Disney love their bloggers more than their paying customers?
I'll go one further, when they do stuff like this for the bloggers, it incentivizes people to stay home. Why go to the parks and get second class treatment when I can stay home and watch the Cadillac plan on YouTube. Between D23,AP, etc they had adequate opportunity to do a hard ticket event.

Did you just notice this now?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom