Disney Imagineering Testing Dragon

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Tinkerbell has nothing to do with Cinderella either but she still flies from the castle during wishes. Dragons in fantasyland in general makes some sense. The new fantasyland is an enchanted forest that is home to Beast's Castle, LM and eventually 7 dwarves. The characters don't have to be limited to those 3 movies.

I hope they fly the dragon out at least periodically, daily would be great.
Good point...and Walt had Tinkerbell flying around Snow White Castle in the opening of his TV show.

So there IS precedent in this matter.

TalkingHead

Full title of that video should be: "Disney Dragon Mission: Accomplished! Gary Finds His Flying, Fire-Breathing Friend in New Fantasyland...But You Won't See It In Person Because You Weren't Here the One Night It Appeared!"

Seriously, the Parks Blog video even says "one-night appearance"? Like that's something to be proud of?

I really think this is a new low for WDW publicity.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Good question. Why even bother marketing something if you are simply going to take it away?

It's almost like false advertising. It will upset more people than it will please.

I agree with this 100%. Why make a big deal about dragons then have no dragon when people visit. It's just gonna me off :mad: I finally found a reason to use that red angry face. :);) these are more my usual style.

yoyoflamingo

If they were smart, they would have it out randomly, unannounced, a few times a week to keep people coming back to see it.

This really is a low blow to everyone who's been following the dragon "saga." Seriously, who thought this would be a good idea?

orky8

The video made it appear to be flying around Cinderella Castle. :confused:

I do agree that it doesn't fit the stories of FL, but it is pretty cool looking.

A dragon flying around a castle does fit other mythological stories from tales of yore.

I agree, cool looking. Thematically, I think it misses the mark. (GoofGoof, at least Tink is a disney character, this is just a random dragon)

Finally, I have to correct you again, that video shows it flying around Beast's castle in the New Fantasyland.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I agree, cool looking. Thematically, I think it misses the mark. (GoofGoof, at least Tink is a disney character, this is just a random dragon)

Finally, I have to correct you again, that video shows it flying around Beast's castle in the New Fantasyland.
Good point. I was hoping it would tie in somehow to a show. Maybe in the finale the "good guys" would slay the dragon or something fairy tale like. I really hope they break it out at least periodically. I would love to see that thing live.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult

You are correct. I was mistaken. :oops:

ptaylor

Premium Member
Wow, that a complete and utter waste of time and effort. Quite surprised that they dragged their blog readers into this for something they will never actually get to see.

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
The line of thought has to be that this will generate a viral marketing campaign because admittedly its pretty damn cool. That in turn will hype FL up to more than it really is. Smart, yes, good for guests, not really.

dreamscometrue

There are lots of effects for big shows that are 'one-offs'-like at the opening of the London Olympics, Super Bowl, etc.-but I expected the Dragon would be making several appearances after the 'Believe in Fantasy' build up. A one only appearance should be done as a complete and utter surprise...then, we'd all be raving about it.

bubbles1812

There are lots of effects for big shows that are 'one-offs'-like at the opening of the London Olympics, Super Bowl, etc.-but I expected the Dragon would be making several appearances after the 'Believe in Fantasy' build up. A one only appearance should be done as a complete and utter surprise...then, we'd all be raving about it.
NFE isn't a big show though... it's a permanent structure that will presumably be around a long time. The "grand opening" isn't going to be much of a show beyond them making some speeches. And everyone knows those events you listed are "one-off" things so I'm having a hard time understand the point of your first sentence? Sorry. But anyways...agree with you on the second in that if they really did decide it's a once only thing, it should have been random and for regular guests to enjoy. That video they made even implied that, I'd say, by including the use of the young boy. We get to be so glad Gary found his friend the dragon while all the kids don't? What's the point of including a young child if no young children are even going to get to enjoy it?? I'm sure semi paid (through perks) media bloggers would be so much more appreciative of it than a little boy who plays knights and dragons... This was a really really really stupid thing by Disney PR. Not impressed.

ptaylor

Premium Member
This has to be one of the biggest blunders that the PR dept has made in recent times. Market something to guests, through twitter, facebook and the company blog, then never actually let paying guests see it. But instead show it to the supposed "media", which these days includes anyone with a Wordpress account and a podcast. There are families who pay thousands of dollars on their vacations who would love to see something like this on their vacation, but nope, it is for the blogger brigade only. The paying guests just get stuck with ancient parades and shows.

Gtovryslf

This has to be one of the biggest blunders that the PR dept has made in recent times. Market something to guests, through twitter, facebook and the company blog, then never actually let paying guests see it. But instead show it to the supposed "media", which these days includes anyone with a Wordpress account and a podcast. There are families who pay thousands of dollars on their vacations who would love to see something like this on their vacation, but nope, it is for the blogger brigade only. The paying guests just get stuck with ancient parades and shows.
You, my friend, have hit the nail RIGHT ON THEE HEAD!!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom