Disney Imagineering Testing Dragon

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
ParaPlane! Sweet! I love those things! I get to see them several times a week flying over the farms in Ivor and Waverly to get around the several hundred acres and to some stores. Such a fun way to blow cash for something you can solo pilot at 16 with certificate. Great use of funds. I bet some friends of mine could make their's look the same for 10% of the cost of this one.

GrumpyFan

Limited, but it won't be a one shot deal... And it's important to note that this is a 'test' of the technology involved with regards to another large scale project at WDW....

and suggesting WDI isn't involved is just... well.. just wrong.

Sounds like somebody at WDI might be bitter about how this thing is being rolled out. Meaning, somebody in PR or management at WDW took over the research project WDI was working on. Either that or WDI is upset about how it's being shoe-horned into the story they created for the New Fantasyland. That's my guess.

ExtinctJenn

Sounds like somebody at WDI might be bitter about how this thing is being rolled out. Meaning, somebody in PR or management at WDW took over the research project WDI was working on. Either that or WDI is upset about how it's being shoe-horned into the story they created for the New Fantasyland. That's my guess.
Either way... the blog/tumblr thing wasn't necessary if this isn't meant for guests in any way, shape or form. I just refuse to believe it's for a one-night press-only event... Ricky saying so or not. :D

HenryMystic

Either way... the blog/tumblr thing wasn't necessary if this isn't meant for guests in any way, shape or form. I just refuse to believe it's for a one-night press-only event... Ricky saying so or not. :D
Well, it's not just Ricky. Among others, Steve (wdwmagic) is pretty reliable.

SirLink

Ah, a veiled post that suggests maybe this might be Pandoran in nature ... or maybe they'll fly this baby instead of Tink at the start of Wishes:D.

And WDI was definitely involved with this ... they were blowing the company's cash building it and then spending a part of the summer (hell, if I recall it was summer of 11) flying the thing in Central California.

And I'm still not impressed.

I'm shocked, the same company who sent out WDI to India to research a mythical creature when they could of teleconferenced with a Indian/Nepal folklore expert,I repeat I'm shocked.

ExtinctJenn

Well, it's not just Ricky. Among others, Steve (wdwmagic) is pretty reliable.
I'm not making any disagreements about reliability. Ricky is usually spot on as is Steve. I just am having a super hard time with the idea of the effort of Gary etc. to push this to the public and then have it not be for the public. Something doesn't add up.

csm

I see the dragon isn't the only one living in Fantasyland ;)

Honestly - you're *really* missing the point. None of the blogs have ever been about pushing THE DRAGON to the public - they have been about pushing NEW FANTASYLAND to the public. It's viral marketing. That's what it does. Some obscure thing that gets people talking. You're talking right now. See? It worked.

ExtinctJenn

I see the dragon isn't the only one living in Fantasyland ;)

Honestly - you're *really* missing the point. None of the blogs have ever been about pushing THE DRAGON to the public - they have been about pushing NEW FANTASYLAND to the public. It's viral marketing. That's what it does. Some obscure thing that gets people talking. You're talking right now. See? It worked.
Really? Have you not seen the blog/tumblr posts about the dragon sightings and the videos they put together of the dragon flying around and Gary waiting in New Fantasyland to see the dragon, and the images they created of a hatched dragon egg, etc. etc. etc.? How is that not getting the public excited/involved in a dragon storyline and the idea of dragons being sighted around the Magic Kingdom?

csm

Really? Have you not seen the blog/tumblr posts about the dragon sightings and the videos they put together of the dragon flying around and Gary waiting in New Fantasyland to see the dragon, and the images they created of a hatched dragon egg, etc. etc. etc.? How is that not getting the public excited/involved in a dragon storyline and the idea of dragons being sighted around the Magic Kingdom?

Reread your own reply to me. This is viral marketing to create buzz about the land. It is obviously successful based on reactions here.

ExtinctJenn

Reread your own reply to me. This is viral marketing to create buzz about the land. It is obviously successful based on reactions here.
Sure I'd understand that if the land had anything to do with dragons... but the dragon thing is a completely new twist so if it's only for a press event, tell me how it created anything other than confusion about what New Fantasyland has to offer? Guests visiting New Fantasyland will say "but what about the dragon?" I'm not saying it should be something used nightly but I'm still thinking it's for the Grand Opening and not just a limited access press event. I'll be wrong but it won't change the fact that when I am, it'll make TDO/WDI/WDW/whoever just look stupid for creating a story with no end... especially being a world where story telling is the key to it all.

SirLink

Sure I'd understand that if the land had anything to do with dragons... but the dragon thing is a completely new twist so if it's only for a press event, tell me how it created anything other than confusion about what New Fantasyland has to offer? Guests visiting New Fantasyland will say "but what about the dragon?" I'm not saying it should be something used nightly but I'm still thinking it's for the Grand Opening and not just a limited access press event. I'll be wrong but it won't change the fact that when I am, it'll make TDO/WDI/WDW/whoever just look stupid for creating a story with no end... especially being a world where story telling is the key to it all.

Think of it this way: Its Limited Time Magic, limited to one - maybe two nights from now till 2014.

Slowjack

I'm with ExtinctJenn. If there's nothing more to this than a press event, it's a big PR mistake. Personally I think an occasional visit from a flying dragon could be cool. I've always thought these sorts of things really add to the experience. I still remember the first time I ran into PUSH, not having heard about him before--very cool. I don't think the dragon has to an every-night think like Tinkerbell, but to set up a blog to say over and over, "a dragon is coming to live in New Fantasyland" and then he (or she?) is seen only during one press event...well, it seems pretty foolish.

GymLeaderPhil

The "dragon" was and still is a huge fiasco. They originally planned to fly it over the Seven Seas Lagoon for multiple evenings, unannounced, with a Polynesian themed event. Think Taste of Africa. Logistically it would have been a nightmare for parking and the resort.

PR then used an idea from WDI to tie New Fantasyland together with the dragon. An idea that they never signed off on completely and they announced anyways. There was no planning for this and do not draw any conclusions that this will lead to any dragon-esque attractions since none of the properties in New Fantasyland involve a dragon. This is simply an excuse to use this thing they couldn't find a use for and save face for the money they wasted.

Jakester

The "dragon" was and still is a huge fiasco. They originally planned to fly it over the Seven Seas Lagoon for multiple evenings, unannounced, with a Polynesian themed event. Think Taste of Africa. Logistically it would have been a nightmare for parking and the resort.

PR then used an idea from WDI to tie New Fantasyland together with the dragon. An idea that they never signed off on completely and they announced anyways. There was no planning for this and do not draw any conclusions that this will lead to any dragon-esque attractions since none of the properties in New Fantasyland involve a dragon. This is simply an excuse to use this thing they couldn't find a use for and save face for the money they wasted.

Why not make a brand new MK Fireworks show, and incoporate the dragon into that? Imagine Malecifent "attacking" the Castle and/or Kingdom, with the scale of pyro from Summer Nightastic/Magic Music Mayhem Pirates Attack Segment, Combined with the projection technology? One killer show could be born

Captain Chaos

Why not make a brand new MK Fireworks show, and incoporate the dragon into that? Imagine Malecifent "attacking" the Castle and/or Kingdom, with the scale of pyro from Summer Nightastic/Magic Music Mayhem Pirates Attack Segment, Combined with the projection technology? One killer show could be born
But that would take thought, imagination, and most importantly money... two of which TDO does not have and one of which TDO refuses to part with...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom