Disney Imagineering Testing Dragon

ExtinctJenn

If you are going to tease something like this across social media, you damn well better be in the position to produce it for the folks you are targeting.
That's my thoughts. Nothing against Brigante but I don't get the point of using a guest-centric social media outlet to hipe something for a press-only event. Why get guests thinking about and talking about this dragon if it isn't for guests to see? I know he's typically spot on but if it were indeed for one-night, I'd doubt it was for a press-only one-night event. Just my gut there. Seems like an awful lot of attention to detail to get guests to buy into something and want to know it's story to just have it turn out to be press-only.

SirLink

Could be that the only "fail" involved will be if they only use the thing once.
It should be a nightly thing, year-round.

In hurricane season ... oh wait ... that old Epcot show didn't run year round ... guess TDO goofed again.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
About which part?
Everything I'm hearing points to a very limited use of the dragon.
It would certainly make sense for it to have a very limited use. It would be difficult to build and operate something like that on a continual basis. I had this thing down as a press tool right from the start, not for Fantasyland, but still a press tool. Will be interesting to see if anymore comes of it.

WDW1974

Gary creeps me out

He creeps me out too ... he is a very weird guy in person (fits Disney PR perfectly) and I'd never hire him.

I recall when he got in a bit of trouble a few years back for putting up a personal blog about his (and another WDW publicist's) summer of 2006 when they went to HK to help with the first expansion (basically open the Autopia and a fountain area and a new parade) of HKDL. They were put up for a few months at the Conrad, which is one of the city's nicer hotels (in a city of amazing hotels) and lived quite a life, which was bragged about and you can be sure was paid by the HK SAR and not Disney. ... I was shocked to see it (although I've also been shocked at other behavior from Gary and other WDW publicists over the years) and that it stayed online for at least a year before it suddenly disappeared.

WDW1974

About which part?
Everything I'm hearing points to a verylimited use of the dragon.

It would certainly make sense for it to have a very limited use. It would be difficult to build and operate something like that on a continual basis. I had this thing down as a press tool right from the start, not for Fantasyland, but still a press tool. Will be interesting to see if anymore comes of it.

I doubt VERY much that you'll see this beyond things like this event. In the day, it's a total waste because you see what it is from a mile away and there is no illusion whatsoever. And at night what would you do with it? Have flyovers of Fantasyland? In Central FL weather that can change on a dime? ... Seems to be yet another example of Disney spending plenty for attention, but not for product.

I'm disappointed that this is strictly a publicity stunt. Way too much hype for a publicity stunt that is in turn supposed to hype the expansion. If it was one night only thing, we could have been spared the tumblr.

wdw71fan

About which part?
Everything I'm hearing points to a very limited use of the dragon.

Limited, but it won't be a one shot deal... And it's important to note that this is a 'test' of the technology involved with regards to another large scale project at WDW....

and suggesting WDI isn't involved is just... well.. just wrong.

WDW1974

Limited, but it won't be a one shot deal... And it's important to note that this is a 'test' of the technology involved with regards to another large scale project at WDW....

and suggesting WDI isn't involved is just... well.. just wrong.

Ah, a veiled post that suggests maybe this might be Pandoran in nature ... or maybe they'll fly this baby instead of Tink at the start of Wishes:D.

And WDI was definitely involved with this ... they were blowing the company's cash building it and then spending a part of the summer (hell, if I recall it was summer of 11) flying the thing in Central California.

And I'm still not impressed.

wdw71fan

Ah, a veiled post that suggests maybe this might be Pandoran in nature ... or maybe they'll fly this baby instead of Tink at the start of Wishes:D.

And WDI was definitely involved with this ... they were blowing the company's cash building it and then spending a part of the summer (hell, if I recall it was summer of 11) flying the thing in Central California.

And I'm still not impressed.

while I appreciate your 'lack of being impressed' There are more things at play with it then a simple flying machine.. The biggest part of this phase is the increased amount of weight that the system can carry..

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
while I appreciate your 'lack of being impressed' There are more things at play with it then a simple flying machine.. The biggest part of this phase is the increased amount of weight that the system can carry..
Ah HA! There we go. "Increased amount of weight".
They are planning on a new E-ticket attraction, where the average Disney guest can ride one of these all over Pandora!!! The increased weight is to ensure that even the most robust vacationer (or standard ECV) can still get up in the air and fly one of these babies! Spread the news to the world! We're all going flying!!!

By the way, that is a joke.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom