Disney Imagineering Testing Dragon

GoofGoof

Premium Member
This isn't a first.. EPCOT had ultralights in it's daytime shows in the past. And much like airshows, you don't generally fly right over the crowd for these safety reasons.. you fly off to the side of them within view. In this case, that's easy to do flying over the back of the MK.

By doing it at night.. you can emphasize what people see or do not see. Just look at TInkerbell, Dumbo, etc. By using spotlights and at night.. you don't see all the hardware supporting them. Distance + contrast works in their favor to hide things.

This makes sense. If they fly over the back of the MK it would work. Probably have to make sure the train isn't running too. If its that far back it would be hard to incorporate into a show on the ground.

nytimez

So basically, when the junkets end and the media goes home, the dragon goes into storage? He makes it onto the Disney puff piece during the 6 o'clock news, but viewers who book a trip based on that puff piece won't see the dragon?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
So basically, when the junkets end and the media goes home, the dragon goes into storage? He makes it onto the Disney puff piece during the 6 o'clock news, but viewers who book a trip based on that puff piece won't see the dragon?
Yep, since he wasn't built for an Orlando park in the first place.

nytimez

I think it's potentially a cool use of the technology... just think that if they're going to whip it out, they should do more with it. But, I'm guessing a dragon pilot costs a lot more than a Tinker Bell, too, which is probably also a consideration.

SirLink

Not forgetting its the lighting strike capital of the world, which would be pretty dumb to do it every night - I have yet to work out whether its Tokyo or Hong Kong just can't decide which would make sense.

Lee

Adventurer
Why would they make such a big deal for something that's just going to be shown a handful of times?
One word: Lucky
lucky05.jpg

Castle Cake Apologist

So we shouldn't put stock into the fact that the Tumblr specifically says that this isn't regarding the mechanical dragon?

I assume that was just to keep up the image of this being a "real" dragon?

This is all so confusing! Kinda cool, though. They're putting a lot of effort into this for it to be a one time thing...

Rose&Crowner

What mechanical dragon? This thing hatched from an egg where FLE was built, and the fools went on with their plans! Now the dragon has returned from exile to destroy FLE on December 6th. I'm glad I'll get to see it during the previews. Too bad really.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom