Disney Imagineering Testing Dragon

GrumpyFan

Hi, ok well I have just replayed the NFL game over and over trying to spot the dragon and I only see a teaser of the evil queen from Snow White...:confused: Can you tell me where to spot it? Thank you! :)

Agreed, that's all I saw. Which, I can understand this, as she's part of the next phase of New Fantasyland with the Seven Dwarves coaster.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Yes, I have seen all the pics and videos, but I still don't get the connection to Belle, Gaston, Ariel and the Seven Dwarves, nor Storybook circus. It just doesn't really fit within ANY of those story-lines. I'm just speculating that this is a teaser for something new that Disney's getting ready to unveil, but not necessarily for MK.

What "game" are you referring to? I've seen the FLE site and been thru all the different areas, but I didn't see a game.

Why does it have to tie in with a movie represented in the area? What is wrong with introducing a fantasy element into Fantasyland that is unrelated to the themed areas that are already there?

tl77

I know everybody keeps saying its (potentially) part of the FLE, but I just don't see the connection.
I'm thinking this is a teaser for something new, completely off the radar, that's coming. Perhaps, and this is just my own speculation, it's something that will be the replacement for Avatar at AK.

They do some pretty elaborate grand openings for new attractions, it the dragon is probably part of something like this, it's the opening of "World of Color"

yensidtlaw1969

Not sure what its original purpose is/was, but for now its a (expensive) promo tool for Fantasyland.
Forgive me, but given what we've seen so far of this thing, it concerns me that you feel the need to emphasize "expensive". It seems cool, I guess, but from the photos it doesn't really look all THAT special to me . . . how much is "expensive"? At this point, I think I'd be kind of miffed if this Dragon represented any sort of real significant investment . . . or is this thing capable of more than I'm thinking?

GrumpyFan

Why does it have to tie in with a movie represented in the area? What is wrong with introducing a fantasy element into Fantasyland that is unrelated to the themed areas that are already there?

Because, as you said, it's "UNRELATED". That's not to say they can't create some kind of tie-in, but without it, but right now I'm having a hard time figuring how it's going to work.

Why create a whole viral web-site about this mysterious dragon if it's only to be used for the opening, when the real story is the New (found) Fantasyland? I'm just theorizing that the dragon is going to be for something new that we haven't heard about yet. Perhaps another new part/phase of Fantasyland? Some of the pics were posed to look like they were originally discovered in the early 70's, behind MK, and they're making it out to be this thing that was always there, just hidden, sort of like the New Fantasyland. I don't know, just thinking out loud.

TalkingHead

Forgive me, but given what we've seen so far of this thing, it concerns me that you feel the need to emphasize "expensive". It seems cool, I guess, but from the photos it doesn't really look all THAT special to me . . . how much is "expensive"? At this point, I think I'd be kind of miffed if this Dragon represented any sort of real significant investment . . . or is this thing capable of more than I'm thinking?

Evidently it was expensive to develop and didn't work exactly as planned, so now they're spending more money to promote it...as a promotional device for FLE.

I guess they figured they're spending $1.5 billion on NGE, what the hell? Throw a little more at the flying dragon that doesn't work exactly as planned.

Lee

Adventurer
I've heard numbers anywhere from $750k-1mil.
Capabilities? Well...it flies. And it can breathe fire and flap its wings.

dreamscometrue

Not sure what its original purpose is/was, but for now its a (expensive) promo tool for Fantasyland.

Wasn't it suggested by people 'in the know' that this dragon, or a dragon, was being developed for one of the Asian Disney Parks? Isn't it assumed that this is another use for the opening, but it ultimately is on it's way overseas?

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
I've heard numbers anywhere from $750k-1mil.
Capabilities? Well...it flies. And it can breathe fire and flap its wings.
For some reason, that does not seem unreasonable to me for developing a prototype for something like this. Not having a point of reference in aviation though, it's hard to judge. @Scuttle do you have any experience in ultralights?
I mean, it's basically an ultralight plane that flys under a parachute canopy, that part seems pretty standard, but getting it to look right, store and deploy whatever the flame mechanism is without burning the chute, flap the wings without throwing off the balance, and then the theming.
Maybe I'm being naive, since a home hobbyist could probably do it much cheaper, but when a company does things, they have more safety concerns and other issues to take into account.
Now, if it was a good investment or not, that is another question, but hey, I also don't mind the fact that some of my ticket dollars might in some small way go toward them actually taking a chance and doing some crazy things like this, even if they don't always work out (insert Yeti statement here).

flynnibus

Premium Member
It flies..
It includes pyro..
It includes a human..
It intends to operate near the public..

Those things right there say anything will be expensive. Then add into it that a large bureaucratic organization is the one involved.. and add in the costs of all those people, all those meetings, all that overhead.. and you get a high project cost.

ExtinctJenn

Hi, ok well I have just replayed the NFL game over and over trying to spot the dragon and I only see a teaser of the evil queen from Snow White... Can you tell me where to spot it? Thank you!
Agreed, that's all I saw. Which, I can understand this, as she's part of the next phase of New Fantasyland with the Seven Dwarves coaster.
Ok I'm starting to think I've lost my mind. I am now searching to figure out where I saw it because now it's not there. I remember seeing it and saying to my husband "Hah, I bet that's the dragon they keep blogging about." I remember the quickie glimpse of the Queen too but it was a different video I'm thinking of. Maybe let's just say Jenn's lost her brain. It's been a rough couple of weeks (my father suffered a massive stroke and I had to travel so I'll claim I left my brain on the plane). :D

All I can find is this: http://jimhillmedia.com/editor_in_c...t-surprise-in-the-skies-quot-ultralights.aspx and that's obviously not at all what I remember seeing.

no one on this site mentioned this was for World of Avatar
I think you need to read the first 10 pages or so of this thread because I saw mention of this most likely being related to Avatar many times. Heck even Jim Hill references how the Dis community immediately speculated that's what it was for (in the above article). Sure they were usually shot down and the greater espectation was that it was related to Fantasmic! (which was also wrong though I think some "insiders" said it was fact) but it was mentioned. :)

SirLink

I think you need to read the first 10 pages or so of this thread because I saw mention of this most likely being related to Avatar many times. Heck even Jim Hill references how the Dis community immediately speculated that's what it was for (in the above article). Sure they were usually shot down and the greater espectation was that it was related to Fantasmic! (which was also wrong though I think some "insiders" said it was fact) but it was mentioned. :)

Urgh...I didn't even see that ... it doesn't look like anything from Pandora to begin with ... should only use trusted insiders.

ExtinctJenn

Urgh...I didn't even see that ... it doesn't look like anything from Pandora to begin with ... should only use trusted insiders.
Something I've learned as I've lived my last 7 years or so on Dis forums... figuring out who those people are can be like navigating a mine field. LOL! :D

GrumpyFan

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom