Disney Imagineering Testing Dragon

td1129

Nothing related to a ride.
The dragon is a marketing tool to promote FLE.

All the viral stuff is just leading up to its first appearance, which will likely be in the evening when it isn't as easy to see what it really is.

So there's going to be a random dragon flying around?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Yeah...pretty much.
A dragon with a parachute, a guy on his back and a loud, buzzing fan strapped to his .

This just doesn't seem safe to me. A guy, a giant fan and all of the materials has to weigh 500+ pounds. One wrong turn or malfunction and the thing could crash land into a park full of people. I can't see them having this thing flying over the park on a daily basis. I know a lot of people are speculating it will be part of a permanent show or have a recurring place at WDW, but it seems more likely it will just be for the grand opening of FLE and maybe make a special appearance every now and then.

Vader2112

Yeah...pretty much.
A dragon with a parachute, a guy on his back and a loud, buzzing fan strapped to his .

You know...on account of the FLE being cursed and all....
Ughhh...I why not just have a Cesna Paited black with a Dragon wrap overlay on it?
Did the dragon hatch out of the Egg with that Fan on it a--.

Atomicmickey

It's for the FLE opening. It's not going to be around much after that.

Really? That's too bad. I guess it's a tricky thing to pull off, but I was hoping it would be
a nightly thing.

I am imagining that this won't fly directly over the park, but over the trees behind FLE, enough
to provide a sighting, but in the distance, in the dark, where it will be easier to hide the
infrastructure/parachute/fan/guy.

GLaDOS

Really? That's too bad. I guess it's a tricky thing to pull off, but I was hoping it would be
a nightly thing.

Unless all the info out there in the ether is wrong, which let's be honest could be the case, yes.

I am imagining that this won't fly directly over the park, but over the trees behind FLE, enough
to provide a sighting, but in the distance, in the dark, where it will be easier to hide the
infrastructure/parachute/fan/guy.

That's the exact problem with the installation. It has to be far enough away from the guests and not well lit to hide the infrastructure of the driver and the fan. But putting it that far away basically renders the effect useless.

flynnibus

Premium Member
This just doesn't seem safe to me. A guy, a giant fan and all of the materials has to weigh 500+ pounds. One wrong turn or malfunction and the thing could crash land into a park full of people. I can't see them having this thing flying over the park on a daily basis

This isn't a first.. EPCOT had ultralights in it's daytime shows in the past. And much like airshows, you don't generally fly right over the crowd for these safety reasons.. you fly off to the side of them within view. In this case, that's easy to do flying over the back of the MK.

That's the exact problem with the installation. It has to be far enough away from the guests and not well lit to hide the infrastructure of the driver and the fan. But putting it that far away basically renders the effect useless.

By doing it at night.. you can emphasize what people see or do not see. Just look at TInkerbell, Dumbo, etc. By using spotlights and at night.. you don't see all the hardware supporting them. Distance + contrast works in their favor to hide things.

orky8

am i the only one gleefully disregarding everything i just read for the last 20 pages to hold out in hopes this has something to do with Figment?

shh, lie to me. :(

It seems there are two, equally likely possibilities here: it its either Imagination 3.0 greenlit with trackless ride technology or a dragon flying around new fantasyland to symbolize the dragons from the stories presented in new fantasyland. The first option makes sense, where as the second doesn't. So, I'm going go with the second, as this is TDO.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom