Disney has raised it's prices...

DisneyJoe

I paid $79.00 a person for both parks of Universal and IOA for an ENTIRE WEEK....I don't understand why Disney cant do the same sort of deal.....of course they have more parks but they need to come up with SOMETHING, this is getting crazy.

IMHO, there is no comparison between Disney and Universal - or Disney and any other park, for that matter.

I can keep myself very busy at Disney for 7 days or more, with no trouble.
I'd have trouble keeping myself busy at Universal and IOA for 7 days...

Hrudey3032

I have had no bad intentions only perspective.
I also stated that there ARE places i cannot afford to go.
That DOESNT make them too expensive or any of the such.
If i cant afford to go "somewhere" on vacation that is 110% my resposibility to correct. I too need to find a better job if i want to travel to Europe every 3 years or so. However, i love being a Firefighter/Medic so im content. I just wont go to Europe right now.
If folks get priced out of Disney then so be it. Life aint fair. Thats just the way it is.
When folks complain about all the costs of life and they now cant afford Disney...well that aint Disney's fault. But some on here seem to think it is and WDW should somehow accommondate them. Thats absurd..And, completely not what is done in a Capitalistic society. Disney isnt for everyone and thats OK. Nothing is. Also, Make no mistake about it, I work appox. 250 hours of overtime each year for my family. Its not like im just cruising along with no financial responsibility. You just gotta do what you gotta do to have enough money to do what one want to.
Phew, Ok ....im done with this post. Thankfully i've received exactly 6 private messages from folks who "get it" Anyways, 2 more weeks until we are in the WORLD!!!!!
All star music, here we come!

I highlighted this because you make it sound as if you kill yourself with OT.Well by breaking that down over 52 weeks thats only 4.8 hours a week. I respect that you are a firefighter and put your life on the line but dont try and act like you kill yourself in OT as that would be like a extra hour a day over a 5 day period.How about a little less patting of yourself on the back.:shrug: We get it you make good money and can visit Disney whenever you want.Thank you for rubbing that in to those people who are on here struggling to get by.

Rob562

I paid $79.00 a person for both parks of Universal and IOA for an ENTIRE WEEK....I don't understand why Disney cant do the same sort of deal.....of course they have more parks but they need to come up with SOMETHING, this is getting crazy.

That is simple supply and demand. If people aren't going, then you either have to lower prices to allow more people to go, or raise prices to get more money out of the people who ARE going.

Universal is trying to get people to visit their parks more, and spend more of their discretionary budget on their property. The feel that a lower ticket price is their best way to bring people in.

Disney, on the other hand, chooses other options to get people to spend their money there: Free Magical Express... The Free Dining program... Hotel discounts...

Plus, how many people who buy the 7-day ticket to Universal actually GO to Universal for 7 whole days? Compare that to the number of people who purchase a 7-day ticket at Disney, most of which DO go into the parks for 7 whole days.

The funny thing is, park admission is a VERY small portion of WDW's overall income (at least when compared to the profit margin on the sales of those tickets). They don't make much money (if any) off of the park admission. The money-makers in WDW are food, hotel rooms and souveniers. That's why Guest Relations so easily throws free tickets at people who complain. It's not much of a money-maker for the company.

-Rob

firemandisney

I highlighted this because you make it sound as if you kill yourself with OT.Well by breaking that down over 52 weeks thats only 4.8 hours a week. I respect that you are a firefighter and put your life on the line but dont try and act like you kill yourself in OT as that would be like a extra hour a day over a 5 day period.How about a little less patting of yourself on the back.:shrug: We get it you make good money and can visit Disney whenever you want.Thank you for rubbing that in to those people who are on here struggling to get by.
I only replied to this thread again due to this statement above concerning overtime.
76% of Americans work a 40 hour work week that has a structured job. (career),per dept. of labor. YES, somework more however...Firefighters work a minimum of 48 hours per week. Our City works 56 per week. So when you comment on my miniscule 4.8 per week take into consideration thats on top of my already worked 56...So, that makes an average of almost 61 per week. Go work those hours and while your at it stay up all night a couple night a week..We are there 24 hrs straight. Things get busy.
Then we'll talk.
Nice try, but you need to more more research befor commenting on my work schedule.
Also, i have 2 kids. Responsibility is mine to provide and that i do my friend.
I NEVER "bragged" about my overtime. My comments concerning it was aimed at showing what I do to earn extra cash for "whatever in life"
Jealousy is a nausiating thing. Some of the most admired people in my life are so much more wealthy than me it isnt even funny. Heck, im not even upper middle class.
But they inspire me to do better. Instead of the "woe is me attitude of some" just get out there and do it. Life isnt that complicated (financially speaking)
The folks who i truly feel sorry for is parents with disabled kids.
I see tham alot on the job and those folks are doing it! They are taking care of their kids and you know what? 99% dont complain like folks do here that Disney has raised their prices.
Well, boo hoo. Suck it up. Go boo hooing to the child that cant walk and he or she will laugh in your face. Folks are complaining about a LEISURE time location. A vacation resort raising their prices! How bad can things be if that is your big boohoo.
Not me, My kids will have a childhood i never got to have. They wont se me crying cause Disney has raised their prices or anywhere else for that matter.
Gosh, And then there is the folks with NO responsibility in life that are complaining....Yeah, You get alot of respect.
Anyways, rant over..and it was a rant. Sorry to all. But folks this is America, No whining allowed.

Silvermist

Well heck...this has been a fun thread eh?

A trip to WDW is an expensive vacation. A family of 4 traveling in from any considerable distance is looking at spending a great deal of money. And, if you stay at anything but a value resort, amp that up quite a bit.

BUT, the latest price increase really is quite nominal. I just think many people are struggling financially right now and it just seems like a never ending assault of higher costs. A bit here and a bit there really adds up. And as someone mentioned in an earlier post, very few people have seen (or will see) any kind of Cost of Living salary increase to offset higher prices everywhere.

If you look at the ticket cost per day up to 4 days, it is quite expensive. But, once you hit 4 days, the cost per day becomes extremely affordable. What makes WDW such an expensive vacation is travel expenses there and back, hotel for 4,5,6 + days and paying for theme park food. There again though...if you look objectively at what WDW counter service costs (at the parks and resort hotels, even the deluxes), it actually is reasonable. Granted, you will be spending a lot more cash if you hit the character meals/buffets and TS restaurants, but you can avoid those to save your budget and still eat quite well.

We would love to go to WDW every year, unfortunately, we can only afford to make the trip every 2-3 years. But going back to the "old days" I remember when I was little, we went to DL. Back then, you bought ticket books for the rides. I know everyone here knows what I'm talking about. We couldn't go on everything because my parents didn't feel we could afford to do it all. We only got to go at all because we lived in California and for us, it was a day trip and it was a one time experience. My next Disney trip was to take my own son to WDW many, many years later.

The point I'm making is that unfortunately not everyone can afford this kind of vacation. It would be wonderful if everyone could, but then and now, it's just not possible for everyone. Some can make the trip several times a year, some once a year, some like us only every few years. Some people have to stay off-site because they just can't afford the Disney resorts, even the values. And some people can afford to stay at the Deluxes.

My own personal opinion is they need to look at bringing their room rates for the resorts down a bit. The values are pretty much in line with a nice motel (which is what they are) but IMO $330+ per night for some of the deluxe resorts is a bit high. But that's just my opinion. Others might (and probably will) disagree. It's just possible we'll choose to stay off site on our next trip in order to stay at a nice full-service hotel without spending quite so much. I love staying on-site, but unlike many others here, I don't feel staying on-site is worth any cost and rather than downgrade the quality of our accommodations, we'll check out the possibility of an off-site hotel that may be kinder to our budget.

Now if they follow in US/IOA footsteps and give "front of the line" access (where you just walk up, show your room key and ride) to resort guests, they'll hook me right back in again! :ROFLOL:

firemandisney

Well heck...this has been a fun thread eh?

A trip to WDW is an expensive vacation. A family of 4 traveling in from any considerable distance is looking at spending a great deal of money. And, if you stay at anything but a value resort, amp that up quite a bit.

BUT, the latest price increase really is quite nominal. I just think many people are struggling financially right now and it just seems like a never ending assault of higher costs. A bit here and a bit there really adds up. And as someone mentioned in an earlier post, very few people have seen (or will see) any kind of Cost of Living salary increase to offset higher prices everywhere.

If you look at the ticket cost per day up to 4 days, it is quite expensive. But, once you hit 4 days, the cost per day becomes extremely affordable. What makes WDW such an expensive vacation is travel expenses there and back, hotel for 4,5,6 + days and paying for theme park food. There again though...if you look objectively at what WDW counter service costs (at the parks and resort hotels, even the deluxes), it actually is reasonable. Granted, you will be spending a lot more cash if you hit the character meals/buffets and TS restaurants, but you can avoid those to save your budget and still eat quite well.

We would love to go to WDW every year, unfortunately, we can only afford to make the trip every 2-3 years. But going back to the "old days" I remember when I was little, we went to DL. Back then, you bought ticket books for the rides. I know everyone here knows what I'm talking about. We couldn't go on everything because my parents didn't feel we could afford to do it all. We only got to go at all because we lived in California and for us, it was a day trip and it was a one time experience. My next Disney trip was to take my own son to WDW many, many years later.

The point I'm making is that unfortunately not everyone can afford this kind of vacation. It would be wonderful if everyone could, but then and now, it's just not possible for everyone. Some can make the trip several times a year, some once a year, some like us only every few years. Some people have to stay off-site because they just can't afford the Disney resorts, even the values. And some people can afford to stay at the Deluxes.

My own personal opinion is they need to look at bringing their room rates for the resorts down a bit. The values are pretty much in line with a nice motel (which is what they are) but IMO $330+ per night for some of the deluxe resorts is a bit high. But that's just my opinion. Others might (and probably will) disagree. It's just possible we'll choose to stay off site on our next trip in order to stay at a nice full-service hotel without spending quite so much. I love staying on-site, but unlike many others here, I don't feel staying on-site is worth any cost and rather than downgrade the quality of our accommodations, we'll check out the possibility of an off-site hotel that may be kinder to our budget.

Now if they follow in US/IOA footsteps and give "front of the line" access (where you just walk up, show your room key and ride) to resort guests, they'll hook me right back in again! :ROFLOL:
Not THIS is an example of an intelligent person.
They may not agree with my feelings 100% or even 50% but...The above..."gets it".
We also go appox every 2-3 years.
Regards, Shawn

JimboJones123

Jimbo's Thoughts.

I've always been one to see the GREAT VALUE of the WDW experience. The changes are still just a few bucks.

The HUGE change was the NO EXPIRATION option going up to $200. The value of that option just tanked. Although they now added more entries for the Water Pars and more option, it seems like too many people are using tickets from 2-3 years ago when the MYW was introduced and enjoying ticket free trips. So, they hack it back.

For those that still don't understand the value at WDW though, let's look further.

DCL - 4 people, 7 days -- $4000 with gratuity and reasonible expenses.
NYC - 4 people, 7 days -- $5000 w/2 shows and a decent $300 a night hotel.
Hawaii - 4 people, 7 days -- $7000 week long cruise

We've been pricing these trips for YEARS now and always found the $2200 we spend at WDW to be our best option. I'm biting my nails raw thinking about the trip to Hawaii for our tenth anniversary next year. That doesn't count the $800-$1000 per person for flights, so that's 4x the flights to Orlando as well.

We're going to SoCal next week and are already spending $4500 for the same room, food, and park tickets that we would spend $2500 for the same time at WDW. But the kids haven't ever been to the west coast. It's hard looking into that trip with the extra $2000 waving at me with one finger though.

Don't worry WDW, come January, we'll be back! Marathon weekend here we come! And the MYW tickets will only cost us an extra $50-$60. We'll actually have a larger price increase staying over on 2 Fridays and 2 Saturdays opposed to the trip long room rates that we used to get.

If you think this jump is big, wait 2-3 more years as tourism begins to stabilize again!

yankspy

I only replied to this thread again due to this statement above concerning overtime.
76% of Americans work a 40 hour work week that has a structured job. (career),per dept. of labor. YES, somework more however...Firefighters work a minimum of 48 hours per week. Our City works 56 per week. So when you comment on my miniscule 4.8 per week take into consideration thats on top of my already worked 56...So, that makes an average of almost 61 per week. Go work those hours and while your at it stay up all night a couple night a week..We are there 24 hrs straight. Things get busy.
Then we'll talk.
Nice try, but you need to more more research befor commenting on my work schedule.
Also, i have 2 kids. Responsibility is mine to provide and that i do my friend.
I NEVER "bragged" about my overtime. My comments concerning it was aimed at showing what I do to earn extra cash for "whatever in life"
Jealousy is a nausiating thing. Some of the most admired people in my life are so much more wealthy than me it isnt even funny. Heck, im not even upper middle class.
But they inspire me to do better. Instead of the "woe is me attitude of some" just get out there and do it. Life isnt that complicated (financially speaking)
The folks who i truly feel sorry for is parents with disabled kids.
I see tham alot on the job and those folks are doing it! They are taking care of their kids and you know what? 99% dont complain like folks do here that Disney has raised their prices.
Well, boo hoo. Suck it up. Go boo hooing to the child that cant walk and he or she will laugh in your face. Folks are complaining about a LEISURE time location. A vacation resort raising their prices! How bad can things be if that is your big boohoo.
Not me, My kids will have a childhood i never got to have. They wont se me crying cause Disney has raised their prices or anywhere else for that matter.
Gosh, And then there is the folks with NO responsibility in life that are complaining....Yeah, You get alot of respect.
Anyways, rant over..and it was a rant. Sorry to all. But folks this is America, No whining allowed.
I am not sure of the logic or the source of the last bolded statement? As for the first one, jealousy is a nauseating thing but so is condescension. I, and others might have a little more respect for your opinions if you gave ours some. This is also not America, this is a WDW fan site, which I might add is not even owned and operated by an American.

I do not wish to bash you, however, you may be wise to use a little tact in your responses. You have to remember that you are new here and you may wish to get to know people before you voice such strong opinions about them. I fully understand that people get heated at times (including myself) but so far many of your posts have been in an authorotative tone.

Furthermore, many people come on this site to escape and to vent at times. You may be taking things a bit too seriously. Some people have voiced a little frustration over an increase in ticket prices. Does that mean that you are able to label them whiners? Many of these people have post counts that are in the thousands and the majority of their posts are not complaints.

We would all like to believe that if you work hard and keep your chin up that things go your way eventually. However, to quote you, "life is not fair sometimes".

I do not mean this post as offensive and so I apologize if you feel that way. I am merely trying to be constructive so that you may enjoy your time here as all of us do. Many of us argue over the silliest of things. However, in general, cooler heads prevail and many of us are able to overcome differences and let the "better angels of our nature" shine. After all, this is a place where we come to share our love for WDW. The next time you wish to vehemently oppose someone's opinion about a matter, you might want to remember the phrase that is in my signature. Sorry for the thread drift everyone.:)

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
^
applause.gif

EPCOTGAL1

Although it would be nice if Disney didn't raise their prices. I can understand why.. Everthing has/is going up. Why should they be any different? We just have to adjust to all of this and do the best we can. I personally believe that for what you pay for ticket entrance and what you receive in the parks...well, it just totally blows me away...think of the $$ it costs to run EVERYTHNG you see and don't see? (the payroll for seen and unseen CM's, the cost of electricity, fireworks, food, maintenance, flowers..I'm sure the list could go on and on..) I feel you DO get your money's worth and so much more! I'm not alone with that thought because if I were...I'd be the ONLY one standing for a rope drop! And......I'm not so..................??

I have empathy for folks who LOVE a place so much and can only visit a couple of years or so. Folks, who maybe can go every year but must choose to stay off property as I have been in both those shoes (btw - Marriott Resident Inn in LBV..are really nice for an off property with tons of room and were pretty reasonable - at least in 05 they were in comparison to on property costs).

My children are almost 21 and 16 and through their years growing up, they have been to Disney several times. When they were young, we were a struggling family and not able to go but every couple of years and Never stayed on property. It has only been in the last 4 years or so, that we have been able to stay on property and it is justs adds to the magic of Disney. If I look around my house, I'm sure I could have found other places to spend our money - but putting new carpet in the family room, etc. doesn't make memories for my children :) So, I'll live with what I have yet another year, etc. My husband and I have the philosophy of "they won't want to go on vacation with us too much longer and we won't be able to take their families, so we should find a way now to take them". So, we did...we'll be there in November (Thanksgiving) to celebrate our son's 21st birthday.

For those folks who can't go this year or maybe next, hang in there...visit the boards and start your planning to keep the magic going - visit youtube..it really helps bring a smile to your face. I know what it's like to WANT to go and can't...be patient - you'll get there before you know it! (example: back in 1999, we took a labor day weekend trip to Orlando (from Northeast) and we went to Universal (because we couldn't afford Disney). It just absolutely killed me to know that we were only minutes away from Mickey and we couldn't go....I didn't even want to drive by it because I knew I would get totally depressed).

I guess what I'm trying to say is that....I know that for some.....even working 2 jobs or overtime doesn't allow you to go...it allows you to cover your household costs only. For others, it IS a means to go on a vacation...Hang in there...your time is coming! :)

pacochran

Boy I'm glad I check this site last week and saw the rumor about the prices going up, so we bought our tickets last week.

DougK

Let's face it, $75 for admission is high, but so is $71. But how many of us actually pay that much? If you buy a 7 day ticket (or an annual pass if you visit often enough) you are paying much less per day than $75 for admission.

Prices will stop going up when people stop coming. That certainly hasn't been the case in the last several years. I don't blame Disney one bit for getting as much as they can from us, as long as they keep putting out a quality product. While we all have some complaints over the years, the quality is still there or let's be honest, we wouldn't love going there as much as we do!

MousDad

Let's face it, $75 for admission is high, but so is $71. But how many of us actually pay that much? If you buy a 7 day ticket (or an annual pass if you visit often enough) you are paying much less per day than $75 for admission.

That's the genius of Magic Your Way. They can raise prices all they want, and people will not stop coming, mostly because any increase on multi-day is relatively modest. But for Disney, a modest increase on multi-day x number of visitors = increased profit.

Here's a question for you. Which would tick you off more: 1) An increase like we have, which mostly penalizes 1 and 2 day ticket purchases; or, 2) Drastically cutting daily prices while eliminating Magic Your Way.

Say tickets were cut to $55 a day with no MYW (technically a 26.3% price reduction). That would make staying 1-3 days less than now, 4 days essentially the same price as now, but a 7 day ticket would be $385.

It used to be this way not too long ago right? I don't like the price hike, and I think it's extremely bad timing, but as long as we have MYW, there isn't too much reason to complain.

karl46

Although it would be nice if Disney didn't raise their prices. I can understand why.. Everthing has/is going up. Why should they be any different? We just have to adjust to all of this and do the best we can. I personally believe that for what you pay for ticket entrance and what you receive in the parks...well, it just totally blows me away...think of the $$ it costs to run EVERYTHNG you see and don't see? (the payroll for seen and unseen CM's, the cost of electricity, fireworks, food, maintenance, flowers..I'm sure the list could go on and on..) I feel you DO get your money's worth and so much more! I'm not alone with that thought because if I were...I'd be the ONLY one standing for a rope drop! And......I'm not so..................??

I have empathy for folks who LOVE a place so much and can only visit a couple of years or so. Folks, who maybe can go every year but must choose to stay off property as I have been in both those shoes (btw - Marriott Resident Inn in LBV..are really nice for an off property with tons of room and were pretty reasonable - at least in 05 they were in comparison to on property costs).

My children are almost 21 and 16 and through their years growing up, they have been to Disney several times. When they were young, we were a struggling family and not able to go but every couple of years and Never stayed on property. It has only been in the last 4 years or so, that we have been able to stay on property and it is justs adds to the magic of Disney. If I look around my house, I'm sure I could have found other places to spend our money - but putting new carpet in the family room, etc. doesn't make memories for my children :) So, I'll live with what I have yet another year, etc. My husband and I have the philosophy of "they won't want to go on vacation with us too much longer and we won't be able to take their families, so we should find a way now to take them". So, we did...we'll be there in November (Thanksgiving) to celebrate our son's 21st birthday.

For those folks who can't go this year or maybe next, hang in there...visit the boards and start your planning to keep the magic going - visit youtube..it really helps bring a smile to your face. I know what it's like to WANT to go and can't...be patient - you'll get there before you know it! (example: back in 1999, we took a labor day weekend trip to Orlando (from Northeast) and we went to Universal (because we couldn't afford Disney). It just absolutely killed me to know that we were only minutes away from Mickey and we couldn't go....I didn't even want to drive by it because I knew I would get totally depressed).

I guess what I'm trying to say is that....I know that for some.....even working 2 jobs or overtime doesn't allow you to go...it allows you to cover your household costs only. For others, it IS a means to go on a vacation...Hang in there...your time is coming! :)

You speak a lot of sense and I am glad that there are level headed normal people like you and I. I am from the UK and have not been able to visit WDW since 2005 and we are now going again next year. It has taken us that long to save up the money. Here in the UK things are alot more expensive also like fuel etc. It is one of lifes normals and we just have to live with it. The slight price increases that WDW has put on I think is relative and will not deter us for next year or any other WDW fans that are out there.
Ps this site is the best and bring Disney lovers together.

bjlc57

this says it all..

The price of a one day ticket has gone up $23 in 5 years. To put that in perspective it took the one day ticket 14 years to go up $23 before that. That is just insane. Only at WDW and only in the Orlando market is this going on. Yes, Disney will get away with it but they are really pushing it with the latest price increase. And now it is $50 extra to park hop. That to me is where they are really sticking it to people. Typical WDW management, raise prices and cutback on stuff.

only Disney in it's Eisner'esk ways, will raise prices during a recession.

this is something that I don't understand.. simple economics says if you "raise price, you lose sales."

right now the parks are down attendance wise. and this adds to the Drop in attendance, not adds to it.

and again, its not just how much the extra gas cost for that week, its how much the extra gas is costing for the year.

if WDW wants to be a land of the elite, its going in the right direction.

the problem is that the elite do not have enough sheer numbers to make WDW feasible to stay in business. Meaning that they actually need us POOR SLOBS to keep their doors open. Piety them..

firemandisney

only Disney in it's Eisner'esk ways, will raise prices during a recession.

this is something that I don't understand.. simple economics says if you "raise price, you lose sales."

right now the parks are down attendance wise. and this adds to the Drop in attendance, not adds to it.

and again, its not just how much the extra gas cost for that week, its how much the extra gas is costing for the year.

if WDW wants to be a land of the elite, its going in the right direction.

the problem is that the elite do not have enough sheer numbers to make WDW feasible to stay in business. Meaning that they actually need us POOR SLOBS to keep their doors open. Piety them..
LOL, you couldnt be more incorrect. Attendence is WAY up.
Vacation destinations all over have seen an increase in business despit gas prices and the "so called" slow economy.
Simple economics: Supply and demand, Disney is booming and you wont be seeing any drop in prices as long as this continues.
Disney even out did the "street" economic forcast.
We are going down in 2 weeks, We are staying at allstar music. The Rep. on the phone told me they are already at 78% capacity. Aug 17th (when we go) officially is the beginning of the "slow" season. She said the resorts have had close to record numbers the last 2 years.
I dont know where you get your info but it aint the least bit correct.

yankspy

LOL, you couldnt be more incorrect. Attendence is WAY up.
Vacation destinations all over have seen an increase in business despit gas prices and the "so called" slow economy.
Simple economics: Supply and demand, Disney is booming and you wont be seeing any drop in prices as long as this continues.
Disney even out did the "street" economic forcast.
I guess you did not take my advice.:rolleyes:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom