Disney Food Is Expensive and Worse Than Ever

Chi84

Premium Member
We found food...quick and seated this past year to be abysmal compared to pre covid food.
The quality is aweful and the quality is much less.
The same is true of so many of our usual restaurants in Chicago now! Limited menus and uneven quality. Most have help wanted signs out for line cooks and servers.

I noticed my usual dish at Topolino’s, while good, was different from previous preparations and just happened to mention that to the manager when he stopped by. He had some interesting things to say about staffing shortages and supply issues.

StantonZ

Yeah, there's no way Disney is serving USDA Prime regularly at most of their restaurants.
To steal a line from a movie: that's not necessarily true.
From a conversation I had (last year) with the restaurant manager at Be Our Guest, there are only (2) places in WDW with Prime (specially sourced) beef: Be Our Guest and Yachtsman Steakhouse. The conversation resulted from my complement of the filet there (and the food in general was excellent).
That's not to say you can't get "good" beef elsewhere on property, but I also grew up on midwest grain fed beef (KC), and am particularly picky about where/when I eat steak.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
It used to be, now I'd say it's just fine. My meal there in 2015 was far better than when we revisited in 2019, which was very disappointing.
Yachtsman has never been great, IMHO. It was overpriced for the quality back in 2009 and I highly doubt it’s improved in the Bob’s austerity era. It was bad enough back then that we never wanted to return.

dreday3

Greetings, staying in a three bedroom for two weeks after new years (finally have to spend our 2019 points) and bringing ninja indoor grill, slow cooker and air fryer. All purchased on Black Friday deals and will be cheaper than one night out. Not one meal is being consumed from Disney, which we have never made anything on vacation and am looking forward to it. I think Disney is going to ask if we are the same family when they see the balance sheet for our charges reflect $0!

Honestly, I'd rather stay home than do all that cooking on vacation. 😂

dreday3

We always think twice about going to a restaurant with a sign in the window that says “Hiring at all positions.” 😂

One of our favorite ribs places has been pretty much destroyed. I don't know if the owner just ran it badly during Covid or what, but they are still hiring, now only open Thurs-Sun and the biggest change (even though it doesn't affect us) no one under 13 allowed!!! This was a very popular place for families.
The menu is cut by 75%...I wonder why they even bother at this point.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
You know, I'm not good with a crockpot! Any time I try to cook something besides chicken, it usually just ends up tasting like pot roast. I don't like pot roast.
1670088524358.jpeg

Crockpot cooking is something I've yet to master.

Imhere

We took a 7 day trip Thanksgiving week.

We have understood it has become popular to criticize Disney food. Almost every trip we buy into the hype prior to getting there.

Every single trip we are more than satisfied with the food quality.

On this trip we took a guess at what the food total came in at before looking at our folio, we both guessed over the actual amount.

Enchanted Rose at the GF is super - Had a few new drinks and some truffle fries - We went back again!!

1670094843480.jpeg

In over 25 trips we have never eaten at Grand Floridian Cafe but this time our first meal was there - Buttermilk Fried Chicken was awesome, I didn't find $26 to be highway robbery.

Have stayed at CSR 6 times but have never eaten at Maya Grille until this trip - Chicken Fajitas with all the trimmings was excellent for
$26

1670094881295.jpeg

Via Napoli has the best pizza on property, like always.

Mai Tai's at the Tambu Lounge are second to none and I wish I could have kept the glass.

1670094909358.jpeg

Steakhouse 71 on Thanksgiving was superb. The bacon & egg appetizer is great and their Thanksgiving Turkey Dinner was multiple times better than I was expecting. Didn't really need the 15 layer Chocolate Cake, but we gave it a shot anyway. - $136.50 was very fair for our holiday dinner.

1670094946228.jpeg

EFJT6689.JPG

IMG_5138.JPG

My most favorite meal of the trip may have been the small plate lunch we had at Nomad Lounge. We sat outside and had a couple unusual drinks, a show stopping bread service, and some sliders w/ Yucca Fries, mmmmm-mmmmm good. The $103 lunch had a lot to do with the cool drinks.

IMG_5077.JPG

IMG_5078.JPG

Dinner at Flying Fish wasn't my favorite for one reason only, I don't eat shellfish and not a lot of fish in general. I ordered a steak, which is the kiss of death for me. I cook a fair amount of steak at home, I use the best cuts of Prime Beef and I am never really blown away by any restaurant steak. The dessert here was probably in the top 3 of any dessert I've ever been served in a restaurant. The COCOA BREACH is a wonder of modern desserts and you should all have it. We both had appetizers, entrees, dessert & pressed pot coffee. For the quality of food and service here, $207 is right on target.

View recent photos(2).png

Trattoria al Forno was another first for us. We are big Il Mulino fans. Love the open kitchen. BEST
arancini I've ever had. I have arancini out a lot and I make it at home and this was the best I've ever had. Lasagna was different than any lasagna you've ever had and it's great. $111 once again was on target for a meal like this.

Las.jpeg

For us, the quality gets better every trip and the cost is on par with better restaurants we go to anyway.

Last edited:

eliza61nyc

Honestly, I'd rather stay home than do all that cooking on vacation. 😂
That's me. We took someone's advice one year and rented a house. BIG mistake lol, a vacation where I cooked and cleaned. Now I tell my family if we want to do that again they have to factor in the cost of a cook and maid.

I'll admit my brood doesn't have refined taste, we've only had one or two what I'd call really bad meals and now we tend to stick to our favorites. Most of the new stuff we do try is at Disney Springs

I had an awesome rib eye at Le Cellier but I doubt if I'd be able to tell the difference between prime and choice

Last edited:

dreday3

We took a 7 day trip Thanksgiving week.

We have understood it has become popular to criticize Disney food. Almost every trip we buy into the hype prior to getting there.

Every single trip we are more than satisfied with the food quality.

On this trip we took a guess at what the food total came in at before looking at our folio, we both guessed over the actual amount.

Enchanted Rose at the GF is super - Had a few new drinks and some truffle fries - We went back again!!

View attachment 682733

In over 25 trips we have never eaten at Grand Floridian Cafe but this time our first meal was there - Buttermilk Fried Chicken was awesome, I didn't find $26 to be highway robbery.

Have stayed at CSR 6 times but have never eaten at Maya Grille until this trip - Chicken Fajitas with all the trimmings was excellent for
$26

View attachment 682734

Via Napoli has the best pizza on property, like always.

Mai Tai's at the Tambu Lounge are second to none and I wish I could have kept the glass.

View attachment 682735

Steakhouse 71 on Thanksgiving was superb. The bacon & egg appetizer is great and their Thanksgiving Turkey Dinner was multiple times better than I was expecting. Didn't really need the 15 layer Chocolate Cake, but we gave it a shot anyway. - $136.50 was very fair for our holiday dinner.

View attachment 682736

View attachment 682740

View attachment 682741

My most favorite meal of the trip may have been the small plate lunch we had at Nomad Lounge. We sat outside and had a couple unusual drinks, a show stopping bread service, and some sliders w/ Yucca Fries, mmmmm-mmmmm good. The $103 lunch had a lot to do with the cool drinks.

View attachment 682742

View attachment 682743

Dinner at Flying Fish wasn't my favorite for one reason only, I don't eat shellfish and not a lot of fish in general. I ordered a steak, which is the kiss of death for me. I cook a fair amount of steak at home, I use the best cuts of Prime Beef and I am never really blown away by any restaurant steak. The dessert here was probably in the top 3 of any dessert I've ever been served in a restaurant. The COCOA BREACH is a wonder of modern desserts and you should all have it. We both had appetizers, entrees, dessert & pressed pot coffee. For the quality of food and service here, $207 is right on target.

View attachment 682738

Trattoria al Forno was another first for us. We are big Il Mulino fans. Love the open kitchen. BEST
arancini I've ever had. I have arancini out a lot and I make it at home and this was the best I've ever had. Lasagna was different than any lasagna you've ever had and it's great. $111 once again was on target for a meal like this.

View attachment 682739

For us, the quality gets better every trip and the cost is on par with better restaurants we go to anyway.

Nice!!!

Tom P.

I think the food quality at Walt Disney World averages good, occassionally hits exceptional, and almost never hits bad. I also think the food prices are reasonable, particularly when compared to other truly comparable restaurants and being mindful of the Disney premium you will always pay while on property.

Perhaps I'm just a weirdo and easy to please. 🤷‍♂️

Jon81uk

After our 4 year hiatus the price increases were very noticeable - as was the amount they’ve gone up.
Don’t go to Seaworld then, they have gone up even further and added another 5% plus the quality is even worse and Seaworld has always been poor quality food.
I didn’t do Disney on our most recent trip but from what I’ve seen they are the cheapest of the theme parks for food and drink.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom