Disney Food Is Expensive and Worse Than Ever

TQQQ

OK, maybe it’s not all bad, but I’m struggling to fill out a quick, 3 day trip.

The only places I even somewhat enjoy are:

Citricos
California Grill
Topolinos
Teppan Edo

It seems the menus everywhere are SUPER limited and even I have to say, the prices are out of control. I looked at Skipper Canteen and was shocked this level of food is in the $30-40 range. Insane.

Any suggestions on decent food? I don’t even care so much for the price, but what has surprised you as a good quality, enjoyable experience? Other than Teppan Edo, I almost cant think of a “park” restaurant I like and I’ve been to them all.

Le Cellier, for example, is definitely worse than I remember. And about $65/person. I just leave all these places feeling unsatisfied. I’d pay the prices if the food were good, but quality and portions have seemingly taken a nose dive.

Again, any suggestions on a place I should try again?
I'm a food snob......only eat at the best places..............We've always liked: Cal Grill.........Topolinos.......Yachtsman.....Via Napoli........Brown Derby..........Jiko

But dont forget Disney Springs...>Raglan Road and the Boathouse are both underrated

JIMINYCR

Planning our WDW trips we always include both TS and QS with some select kiosk selections. We scan all the menus and costs involved so we aren’t caught off guard by the prices. We also check out various reviews to get a sense of what selections are consistently good or bad. That has usually kept us satisfied by our dining choices and very few experiences that fail us. Over the years certain spots have fallen off our dining list and others added. Price increases are always expected year to year but are planned for whether we vacation at WDW or any other spots we frequent. As far as quality we have seen spots slip due to changes in chefs or menu selections and others gotten better. WDW dining for us has not gotten so bad that we’ve avoided it, just be more selective.

Prince-1

Toledos at the Coronado Springs Gran Destino Tower is actually very good and the bar outside has amazing views. There is also the Three Bridges restaurant at CS as well which has some pretty good food and also some nice views as you are sitting on the lake. They also have some amazing sangria. They have a Sangria University every weekend that we did and had a blast.

Centauri Space Station

For Skipper, it's insane. I got the steak once and it was like shoe leather. The chicken dish is OK, but usually quite bland.

I used to always have good experiences at Le Cellier, but lately, they've been off. Chewy steak and typically slightly overcooked. Extremely salty risotto and average service. I will try it again because I used to like it very much.

Obviously I’m a space 220 fan but I would recommend trying the lounge first to see how you like it and you aren’t forced to order so much there. Il Mulino at Swan and Blue Zoo at the dolphin are great picks too. I always enjoy Beaches and Cream at The beach club. Steakhouse 71 is great. At skippers the appetizers are really good, the cachapas, fried rice, and falafel are great

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
Obviously I’m a space 220 fan but I would recommend trying the lounge first to see how you like it and you aren’t forced to order so much there. Il Mulino at Swan and Blue Zoo at the dolphin are great picks too. I always enjoy Beaches and Cream at The beach club. Steakhouse 71 is great. At skippers the appetizers are really good, the cachapas, fried rice, and falafel are great
Thanks. I enjoy Beaches and Cream and Mulino for a quick pizza. Seems we have a pattern of park restaurants not making the favorites cut much.

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
I'm a food snob......only eat at the best places..............We've always liked: Cal Grill.........Topolinos.......Yachtsman.....Via Napoli........Brown Derby..........Jiko

But dont forget Disney Springs...>Raglan Road and the Boathouse are both underrated
Enjoyed Boathouse the couple times I went too. I think Brown Derby is pretty terrible and I found the Via Napoli pizza pretty good, not great.

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
The cost increase doesn't bother me as much as the decreased food quality. Or last trip in June, we went back to Skipper Canteen after having not visited it in six years or so. We had been there two times previous on other trips. I remember getting a sweet and sour pork dish the first time and a sustainable fish the second. Was looking forward to trying the fish again as I remember it being quite good in the past. It was a whole fish, head and all, charred quite nicely with a great sauce to go with it. Ordered the dish again this June and got... a small salmon fillet that looked like it just got defrosted. It wasn't terrible, but it was such a let down from what I was expecting. It was served over some bland rice and soggy vegetables. This looked like something I would get at Applebee's or Olive garden. Just disappointing.
This is kind of my point. I don't care about cost when it's good food. I'll pay and I'll pay the Disney premium on top of that. Just deliver the experience.

I absolutely despise the lazy "vegetable medley" that is always just squash, carrots, zucchini, etc practically boiling in a sauetee pan. Rice needs to be treated with respect too and seasoned or it becomes soggy and bland.

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
You lost me already.
Forgetting about the hassle (and lost time) of going off-site, there are plenty of places in WDW that meet (or exceed) Outback quality. Yes, prices are high, but you can find quality food in the parks.
For example, our last couple of meals at Cinderella's Royal Table and Be Our Guest were outstanding (and yes, expensive). And Steakhouse 71 was a pleasant surprise.
Does Steakhouse 71 advertise the kind of beef they're using? I don't see prime cuts anywhere or even Kansas City brand, etc. For the prices they are charging, there is almost no way it's prime beef. That's not necessarily a deal breaker, but I've consistently come across meh steaks at Disney, even at Narcoosee's. Even the California Grill $60 Filet is not prime.

I think Narcoossee's ocassionally has prime beef, but I've had a bad steak every time I've ordered it there, so I stick with seafood now.

UNCgolf

Does Steakhouse 71 advertise the kind of beef they're using? I don't see prime cuts anywhere or even Kansas City brand, etc. For the prices they are charging, there is almost no way it's prime beef. That's not necessarily a deal breaker, but I've consistently come across meh steaks at Disney, even at Narcoosee's. Even the California Grill $60 Filet is not prime.

I think Narcoossee's ocassionally has prime beef, but I've had a bad steak every time I've ordered it there, so I stick with seafood now.

Yeah, there's no way Disney is serving USDA Prime regularly at most of their restaurants.

I had a USDA Prime 10 oz filet a couple of weeks ago at a very good restaurant and it was $80. Absolutely worth the price, too, but I can't imagine Disney serving a steak like that for less than $100 considering their general markup.

A steak doesn't have to be USDA Prime to be excellent (I've had some wonderful $50+ steaks that weren't USDA Prime), but it certainly helps.

The best steak I've had at Disney was actually at Flying Fish too, which was surprising since it's more of a seafood place.

FoodRockz

The cost increase doesn't bother me as much as the decreased food quality. Or last trip in June, we went back to Skipper Canteen after having not visited it in six years or so. We had been there two times previous on other trips. I remember getting a sweet and sour pork dish the first time and a sustainable fish the second. Was looking forward to trying the fish again as I remember it being quite good in the past. It was a whole fish, head and all, charred quite nicely with a great sauce to go with it. Ordered the dish again this June and got... a small salmon fillet that looked like it just got defrosted. It wasn't terrible, but it was such a let down from what I was expecting. It was served over some bland rice and soggy vegetables. This looked like something I would get at Applebee's or Olive garden. Just disappointing.
I miss the whole lion fish so much. I never go to WDW any more really, but still a bummer that it left the menu.

Chi84

Premium Member
It used to be, now I'd say it's just fine. My meal there in 2015 was far better than when we revisited in 2019, which was very disappointing.
It didn't rise to the level of "just fine" on our last two visits there. It was one of our favs but we decided to give it a rest for awhile. Too many better steakhouses in the area, including one by the Gibson's group in DS.

MagicRat

Greetings, staying in a three bedroom for two weeks after new years (finally have to spend our 2019 points) and bringing ninja indoor grill, slow cooker and air fryer. All purchased on Black Friday deals and will be cheaper than one night out. Not one meal is being consumed from Disney, which we have never made anything on vacation and am looking forward to it. I think Disney is going to ask if we are the same family when they see the balance sheet for our charges reflect $0!

NickMaio

I can't honestly think of any in-park TS restaurant that's worth the cost anymore, QS is a joke for what they charge. Food quality is down, prices are up. There are places I'd tolerate, but as far as value for the price, those days are gone. The pot pie at CHH was fantastic. Removed from the menu. Buffet's are too expensive for what you get now (Crystal Palace used to be a good value even 5 years ago). Regal Eagle is probably the one place I'd recommend, but I also admit the last time I was there was just months after it opened. Even beloved places like Biergarten have fallen.

I can pay $16 for a burger and fries at a local establishment and it's easily 3x better than what Disney offers. Not a lie. Fresh meat, made to order, and *tasty* with several varieties available around that price point. But I digress, because this discussion path leads nowhere constructive.
We found food...quick and seated this past year to be abysmal compared to pre covid food.
The quality is aweful and the quality is much less.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom