Disney Dining Experience Changes

YOU can change it!

Cross it off, put in your own tip, write in the authorized amount for your charge or just pay with cash - do you think the DDE police are going to chase you out the door and try and stop you?

They are pre-adding this amount on to try and get people to pay it - if you want to pay less - pay less!

Oh, you can bet I'll be changing it each and every time. In fact, I'll just make them remove it each time. If they question this, well, it's certainly my right to pay the bill with my debit/credit card and pay the tip in cash, right?

I'm NOT tipping 20% on alcohol and I'm NOT being told what percentage to tip by the Walt Disney World Co.

Mommeee

Originally Posted by DisneyJoe
So let me try and understand this. Let's assume a $100 meal for ease of calculation.
With DDE, your bill before discount is $100, they then remove 20% giving you $80, and you tip 18-20% bring you back up to $98-$100.

Without DDE, your bill is $100, you get no discount, and you still tip 18-20% bringing your total to $118-$120.

imamouse:
Close, but one small difference. The 18% is added to the bill before the DDE discount is applied.

Well, that's what DisneyJoe said, isn't it? Bill=$100, tip is $18, which is obviously 18% calculated pre-discount, then the bill is reduced to $80 with discount and the tip is added to = $98. How is that "close" and not exactly the case? Isn't that precisely what the new policy means?

duck_daddy

I myself bow out with what shred of integrity I have left. I choose not to be pushed and have other peoples opinions forced upon me, and in the excitement that follows, generally end up doing to others exactly what I wish not to have done to myself(Catch my drift?). I myself tend to be very easy to entice, not one of my better qualities I assure you. In the long run, this is just a message board so no harm no foul I say. I just tend to jump feet first into a good argument!:wave:

brkgnews

Meh -- some toes get stomped on all sides of the issue, but you know what -- this dialogue needed to happen. It may have gotten out of hand a bit here and there (and I'm sure I had plenty to do with it :lookaroun ), but these kinds of things do need to be talked out.

slowbee

I've been reading on this for a while now and everyone has made great points. I agree that we should never be forced into giving a set amount on parties of 6-8 or less. We are a party of 5 (two infants) and I tip based on service like everyone else has said.

My question is have all of us here who are DDE card members contact WDW directly? Remember two years ago they came out with the Passholder Best Rate program? That wasn't well received by the Passholders and it was lifted within I would say 9 months. If the bean counters get enough angry phone calls, they will reverse their policy. I've called DDE, guest relations and sent an email. One email/phone call won't do it, but 500,000 emails and phone calls will.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
I've been reading on this for a while now and everyone has made great points. I agree that we should never be forced into giving a set amount on parties of 6-8 or less. We are a party of 5 (two infants) and I tip based on service like everyone else has said.

My question is have all of us here who are DDE card members contact WDW directly? Remember two years ago they came out with the Passholder Best Rate program? That wasn't well received by the Passholders and it was lifted within I would say 9 months. If the bean counters get enough angry phone calls, they will reverse their policy. I've called DDE, guest relations and sent an email. One email/phone call won't do it, but 500,000 emails and phone calls will.

I believe you are right. This is going to be an ongoing source of contention once it is implemented (if it isn't enough already), and is a PR nightmare. I do see it being rescinded in relatively short order.

Mommeee

Remember two years ago they came out with the Passholder Best Rate program?

What was that? I was a passholder two years ago, and I remember a point at which it was very, very hard to get hotel reservations and the prices weren't so good, but I'm not sure that was it. You've got me curious!

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
I am very much against this move, and have done my part to let Disney know...

...but if it is rescinded, I'm curious what implications will occur from a labor front? This was a union related change, so I'm genuinely curious if this would be cause for a labor stoppage, etc?

slowbee

What was that? I was a passholder two years ago, and I remember a point at which it was very, very hard to get hotel reservations and the prices weren't so good, but I'm not sure that was it. You've got me curious!

That was a program that you had to book your reservation within 120 days or something crazy like that. If you booked in that window, they would give you the cheapest rate. It wasn't like you got a special 79 dollar value deal for the next two months, but had to plan your trip 4 months out or something crazy like that. It didn't last very long.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Seems Disney is not finished tweaking its Dining experiences:

(from Jim Hill)

I'm serious, folks. Starting this Sunday, November 18 and then stretching all the way through 'til Saturday, November 24th, WDW is bumping up the price of buffet-style dining at on-property eateries like the Crystal Palace in the Magic Kingdom and Boma over at Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge by at least $4.00 per-person.

slowbee

Seems Disney is not finished tweaking its Dining experiences:

(from Jim Hill)

I'm serious, folks. Starting this Sunday, November 18 and then stretching all the way through 'til Saturday, November 24th, WDW is bumping up the price of buffet-style dining at on-property eateries like the Crystal Palace in the Magic Kingdom and Boma over at Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge by at least $4.00 per-person.

4 per person.. THAT's INSANE. in some places, that almost 20% increase. But, that's Mr. Hill, so take it with a grain of salt.

Scooter

If this keeps up, the Security people will have to start searching my brown bag lunches at the Parks.:(

I'll trade ya my banana for your jello pudding.

Magicfinder

So what are you going to do? They're probably not backing off, are you giving WDW up?

In the past, I've tried to go to WDW every year. Every time we think vacations, we think WDW; however, I believe it's time to put Disney vacations on par with going to the beaches, mountains, etc. I'll probably go to Disney every 3 years, but it's not going to be a yearly pilgrimage any longer.

I don't say all of this lightly. As a matter in fact, it makes me sad that it's an end to the era of annual Disney Vacations. Basically, I'm too tired of getting nickeled and dimed to not do anything, so I choose to not go quietly into the night.

DisneyJoe

My week at the beach every summer always costs more than my WDW trips.

The Jim Hill news about increased dining prices over Thanksgiving and Christmas is many months old, released in early June, at least on Tour Guide Mike:

"Increase in Fixed Price Dining!

Effective Sep 30, 07, expect Character Meals and Buffet Dining to cost you a
wee bit more. Most of these dining establishments will charge you at least a
dollar more then the current prices.

HOWEVER: Disney has also introduced 'Holiday Pricing'. That means during
certain times of the year, the same meal will cost you more!

The special 'Holiday' rates increase for Thanksgiving and Christmas 2007 are
for the following dates:

November 18, 2007 - November 24, 2007
December 16, 2007 - January 5, 2008

The 'Holiday' price increase varies from restaurant to restaurant, and
depending on whether it's breakfast, lunch or dinner, but expect some
substantial differences! We are talking 4 to 6 bucks difference in price at
dinner time compared to 'regular' season!!"

mcstensrud

Why oh Why are they picking on their loyal Guest[like me] who mostly come 2 to 3 times a year.I will certainally keep going,I just will not be using my DDE card anymore and will not renew it again!I feel Violated!

It really is simple to get around this new (and ignorant) policy.

Simply tell your wait staff that you will be paying the bill via debit/credit card and the tip in cash. Pay the bill (after discount) and then leave the appropriate tip in cash. Easy.

I for one will be reducing my tips from here on out until the union, Disney, and all else at fault rethink their position. As stated before, I would generally tip 20% after discount. No more. I'm more inclined to start at the 12-15% level and go from there based on the experience.

Perhaps if enough people express their concern and disappointment with the new policy in this, and in other, ways, then the union member/ staff will put pressure on the union and Disney to change the policy.

I'm sure many will disagree with me and argue that this will hurt individuals that had nothing to do with the decision on the policy but, in reality, if it is coming from the union then a majority of union members had to approve it. All decisions have consequences and this one is no exception.

Bring it on DDE!

JimboJones123

My week at the beach every summer always costs more than my WDW trips.

The Jim Hill news about increased dining prices over Thanksgiving and Christmas is many months old, released in early June, at least on Tour Guide Mike:

"Increase in Fixed Price Dining!

Effective Sep 30, 07, expect Character Meals and Buffet Dining to cost you a
wee bit more. Most of these dining establishments will charge you at least a
dollar more then the current prices.

HOWEVER: Disney has also introduced 'Holiday Pricing'. That means during
certain times of the year, the same meal will cost you more!

The special 'Holiday' rates increase for Thanksgiving and Christmas 2007 are
for the following dates:

November 18, 2007 - November 24, 2007
December 16, 2007 - January 5, 2008

The 'Holiday' price increase varies from restaurant to restaurant, and
depending on whether it's breakfast, lunch or dinner, but expect some
substantial differences! We are talking 4 to 6 bucks difference in price at
dinner time compared to 'regular' season!!"

I can understand the weeks of Christmas, Thanksgiving, and Easter. Why not bump the prices? Everything is well overbooked by then anyways.

But the one that gets me is the Bump from Pre-Memorial Day until the 5th of July. THE WHOLE MONTH OF JUNE?!?!?!?! This has for years now been "peak" time but not "holiday" time. What gives?

imamouse

Originally Posted by DisneyJoe

imamouse:

Well, that's what DisneyJoe said, isn't it? Bill=$100, tip is $18, which is obviously 18% calculated pre-discount, then the bill is reduced to $80 with discount and the tip is added to = $98. How is that "close" and not exactly the case? Isn't that precisely what the new policy means?

Someone is missing the point - and it may be me. I'll attempt to clairfy:

I was attempting to point out that the 18% is added to the check BEFORE the DDE discount is applied. In DisneyJoe's example, the DDE discount is applied and THEN the 18% is added. See the difference now? It's a minor (close) point as the math works out the same either way. :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom