Disney Dining Experience Changes

BSikor

I just peeked into this thread and am a little shocked. Its nobody's fault that society as a whole has accepted that servers are paid by tips. It has always been that way in the US (I can't speak for anywhere else) and I assume it always will. The servers are serving you specifically and giving themselves to you.

Does anyone here think that Disney service is not deserving of a tip? Is the standard 18% that hard to swallow especially if you are receiving the high quality of service you get from Disney? If you get poor service, complain and refuse to pay the gratuity. The manager will take it off. But don't complain just because you want to complain. I am sure the reason that this new rule went into effect is that people were not tipping on the pre-discount amount which is customary and some people were not tipping at or above 10% because they figured they will make money from someone else. Servers at disney make good money, but not that good money. After tip-out to bussers, hosts and bartenders (yes, your server pays them for you) the servers don't make as much as some think. Many park guests think, I'll never be here again and see this person so I'm not tipping as much as I do at home when I have the chance of seeing this person again.

Bottom line, it's customary. The bride's parents pay for certain things in a wedding, The groom's pay for certain things, bellboys get tipped, servers get tipped. It's customary.

Again, you are getting 20% off the tab INCLUDING alcohol. What's wrong with giving 18% to the server. It like paying less then menu price for the meal if you look at it dollar to dollar and not including the tip. Its still a good deal.

shurst

Lol

Its funny how your talking about surviving on your wage, yet your going out and tippig 25 to 30% tips elsewhere? sounds to me like poor management of your money. either that or very cheap meals, lol. either way as said before, you know the wages before you take the job. if you have a issue with it then take it up with the companys that chrge outragious prices for food and then expect the customer to pay for their employers. doesnt make sense to me.

There have been a lot of issues come out in the discussion of this subject, but after following this thread from the beginning, I really only have one question that I don't think has been adequately answered. There have been a couple of reasons speculated, but I still don't understand the rationale behind the DDE card holders being the only group (besides CMs) that have been stuck with the mandatory 18% tip. I recognize that it is in the new union contract, but it doesn't seem fair to me to have this group singled out. It still makes no sense to me to have dropped the gratuity from inclusion in the DDP, and to tack it onto the DDE.

We have used the DDE card for our last 2 trips to WDW, and always figured that it really just paid the tip on each TS meal. We recognize that it certainly has saved us money, but it's the principle of the thing! We'll probably renew our card, because, even though I resent the new policy, it would be cutting off my nose to spite my face to give up the discount. That response is probably what WDW is counting on from most DDE cardholders.

kimmychad

it sounds like none of you have worked in a resturant before!! ha -- oooo if you only knew what happened in resturants!. First of all, I live in NJ, and my hourly wage as a server is $2.13 AN HOUR! i will email everyone of you my paycheck if you don't believe it. when you hear the phrase "servers depend on their tips" its the truth. i am almost pretty positive that the only place in the US where servers make minimum wage is California. so my 2.13 an hour sucks, when i am busting my behind to make my customers happy. and then they dont tip at all (ohh thats the icing on the cake)

let me also say that if i work 40 hours a week that is an 85.20 dollar paycheck -- you know where that goes?? the IRS! at the end of the night i have to claim my tips made for that night, and the government still gets the taxes. you know what my paycheck was last week?? $5.18 yepp --- you read that correctly 5 dollars. how am i going to pay my bills on that.

another thing people need to realize is that most of those workers in disney are students, there on the disney college experience. they aren't there because that is going to be their job forever, but because disney has placed them into those jobs.

I also think most of you dont understand that at the end of the night, i have to tip out. tip out means 3% of my total sales (food and LIQUOR) must be handed in from MY tip money. you know what that money is for???? let me tell you -- its for the host - that sat you down, its for the bartender that made your drink (even if you didnt get any alcohol) and its for the busboy that cleaned your table when you were done. Almost none of which you had contact with, but because they provide ME, as a waitress with service, then i have to pay them, too. (now this isnt all resturant chains, but i work in a TGI Fridays, in an area with not the best clientel)

i dont think this will make service worse, either -- let me tell you why -- on the DDP in the past, (not for 2008 i know) but since it has began, gratuity was always added (18%) -- and the server always recieved it -- no, it wasnt coming out of your pocket that night of the sit down -- but they still were getting the money regardless -- so was your service bad on the DDP? mine was only one time in the past two vacations we have used it. and my third vacation with it is in 32 days and i cant wait. 18% -- great -- but we will also throw down another 5 or 6 dollars just as a thank you. people in disney, the guests, arent always the easiest people to deal with -- and you dont know what else is happening elsewhere in that resturant!!

if you made 2.13 an hour -- how would you survive? so i am so glad to see this go into effect, FOR EVERYONE. my thought on it is, who wants to tip on vacation when they could spend their money elsewhere -- well when you dont tip or only leave a minimal amount, that person that waited on you for an hour, lets say, is the one suffering. my boyfriend and i tip 25-30% everytime we eat out no matter how good or how bad the service was because i know what happens behind the scenes. work in a resturant -- you will be more grateful than ever to your next server! sometimes what happens to you is not the servers fault, sometimes it is -- but we are all human and we all make mistakes and 18% is standard. 20% is good -- so think about it --

nobody held that gun to your head to take your job. the service at disney is average over all at best and you think i'm going to tip fro excellent? 20% is good huh? its also good when my server doesnt disappear and i have to send
out a search party so i can get a refill and my check. and i dont want to work in a restaurant because i wouldnt like the uncertainty of what my pay would be. but when was the last time anyone has seen le cellier when it wasnt busy? wait let me guess, the students you talk about come from all over the world just for fun, right? id like to hear from someone that actually serves people in a sit down restaurant, i dont believe they make as little as what some people think. and you actually tip 25-30% no matter how bad or good the service was? wow that just sounds foolish. if i went shopping for an item and didnt even look at the price just put it in my buggy and bought it i would be broke too.

BSikor

Not one post in this entire threat has said or even suggested that. Not one.

I know that because I read the entire thread.

Mommeee, I was asking that to try and figure out why everyone is so upset. I am sure everyone here can admit they get good if not great service at any Disney location. So if that is the case, why is it a big deal to be required to tip 18% if the majority of the people in this thread say they tip that amount or greater for good service.

I'm just trying to figure it out.

spaceghost

There have been a lot of issues come out in the discussion of this subject, but after following this thread from the beginning, I really only have one question that I don't think has been adequately answered. There have been a couple of reasons speculated, but I still don't understand the rationale behind the DDE card holders being the only group (besides CMs) that have been stuck with the mandatory 18% tip. I recognize that it is in the new union contract, but it doesn't seem fair to me to have this group singled out. It still makes no sense to me to have dropped the gratuity from inclusion in the DDP, and to tack it onto the DDE.

We have used the DDE card for our last 2 trips to WDW, and always figured that it really just paid the tip on each TS meal. We recognize that it certainly has saved us money, but it's the principle of the thing! We'll probably renew our card, because, even though I resent the new policy, it would be cutting off my nose to spite my face to give up the discount. That response is probably what WDW is counting on from most DDE cardholders.

My guess is that it is a combo of things. First off, the DDP is much more widely used than the DDE card. I have no specific numbers, but I feel very safe in saying that fact. The DDP gratuity was being footed, essentially, by Disney. I'm sure they wanted out of that deal, along with that thought that this would improve service throughout the resort as servers would have to earn their tips more often than they were before.

As for the DDE being selected, it was probably a concession to the union for that "loss" of what was essentially guaranteed earnings before. On top of that, I'm sure the argument was made that with the DDP, your server always knew ahead of time that they would get the flat rate tip, regardless of service, whereas with the DDE card, it is not necessary to notify your server of this until after the meal has been largely completed. I would also guess that your logic was part of the rationale as well. With cast members, maybe the hope was that servers would be less likely to give poor service to fellow Disney employees, knowing that they might see the person again?

As I've said before in the thread, this is basically a high level business decision that had to weigh the economic and functional pluses and minuses of potential changes, while dealing with demands from the union. I am sure that as far as Disney management is concerned, they would love it if there was no automatic gratuity added in any situation as that causes the problems that have been mentioned ad nauseam in this thread. (And the money doesn't go in their pockets, it goes to the servers, so why would they care.) However, despite what some people have stated in this thread, management couldn't simply just say "no" to all of the union's requests, so compromises were made in a way to hopefully best serve the company, the guests, and the servers.

Again, this is purely speculation on my part...but at least it is educated speculation that would explain what has gone on with all of this. Take it for what you will though...

jerzyzkat119

again -- im not saying you are responsible for servers wages -- the thing that upset me the most throughout this thread (and yes i read it all, too) was the fact that everyone was complaining about paying the 18% like they were automatically going to get bad service -- you dont know that.
for goodness sakes sit down and have the meal first -- and then decide.

also so you guys know -- yes the gratuity can be take off or reduced if you think your service was bad --if you dont want to pay it then dont pay it.

tips are appreciated -- greatly -- yet could you find me a server in this country who makes $2.13 an hour but doesnt expect a tip -- its gonna be pretty hard, because our country has accepted the fact that tips should be left when good service is given. (and every server thinks they are a good server -- its some ego thing)

i'm going to be a teacher -- teachers dont make much money either but its the profession i want to be in just like lab techs -- and with a masters in bio i'm sure i could do so much more -- but teaching is where i want to be, so i accept the pay cut. again -- like serving -- at this point in my life i like it. if i had time for two jobs -- i would be doing it.

yes -- i do tip 25-30%. no its not poor money management -- we dont go out to eat that often. our bill is usually $40 so if i leave $10 on that it is 25% -- no big deal to me. $12 would be 30% again -- its not the end of the world to me. its service and they are taking the time to wait on me.

i understand the point of not wanting to be required to tip the 18% --especially if your service is bad -- but if your service is good -- and you are receiving a discount already -- then why not leave the 18%? i guess i get frustrated because i'm not the type of waitress you have to track down for a refill or your check -- i am there for the guest. but you can adjust that 18% if you feel it is necessary.

i am also contradicting myself (my original post) when i say that on a party of like 3 or 4 i think adding gratuity is a little much -- but if disney feels it is necessary to do that for their employees then i understand -- and i just want others to understand why this may be happening. i wasnt trying to blow it out of proportion -- and i wanted people to realize that yes -- servers make poor hourly wage -- and boo hoo! i know thats what you guys think --but many are ignorant to that fact -- and disney is just trying to protect their employees --

jerzyzkat119

again -- im not saying you are responsible for servers wages -- the thing that upset me the most throughout this thread (and yes i read it all, too) was the fact that everyone was complaining about paying the 18% like they were automatically going to get bad service -- you dont know that.
for goodness sakes sit down and have the meal first -- and then decide.

also so you guys know -- yes the gratuity can be take off or reduced if you think your service was bad --if you dont want to pay it then dont pay it.

tips are appreciated -- greatly -- yet could you find me a server in this country who makes $2.13 an hour but doesnt expect a tip -- its gonna be pretty hard, because our country has accepted the fact that tips should be left when good service is given. (and every server thinks they are a good server -- its some ego thing)

i'm going to be a teacher -- teachers dont make much money either but its the profession i want to be in just like lab techs -- and with a masters in bio i'm sure i could do so much more -- but teaching is where i want to be, so i accept the pay cut. again -- like serving -- at this point in my life i like it. if i had time for two jobs -- i would be doing it.

yes -- i do tip 25-30%. no its not poor money management -- we dont go out to eat that often. our bill is usually $40 so if i leave $10 on that it is 25% -- no big deal to me. $12 would be 30% again -- its not the end of the world to me. its service and they are taking the time to wait on me.

i understand the point of not wanting to be required to tip the 18% --especially if your service is bad -- but if your service is good -- and you are receiving a discount already -- then why not leave the 18%? i guess i get frustrated because i'm not the type of waitress you have to track down for a refill or your check -- i am there for the guest. but you can adjust that 18% if you feel it is necessary.

i am also contradicting myself (my original post) when i say that on a party of like 3 or 4 i think adding gratuity is a little much -- but if disney feels it is necessary to do that for their employees then i understand -- and i just want others to understand why this may be happening. i wasnt trying to blow it out of proportion -- and i wanted people to realize that yes -- servers make poor hourly wage -- and boo hoo! i know thats what you guys think --but many are ignorant to that fact -- and disney is just trying to protect their employees --

Mommeee

Mommeee, I was asking that to try and figure out why everyone is so upset

Then, with respect, you could have read the thread.

Posts have been really consistent in their outrage about the principle involved here; 1. that Disney is tacking 18% automatic service charge onto 2. DDE bills only.

Also, Disney said it would begin January 1, but one forum poster already got it tagged onto her Sci-Fi Diner bill and was lucky to have noticed it before adding another 20%.

Frankly, a lot of us think it's an excessive percentage to levy on alcohol and buffets, which is another objection. If I go to Jiko, I might get $100 wine (not often, God knows, but I have done it) which I want to pour out myself. . The server should not 20% on that. To just say, "Hey, it's 18%, Cheapo, how is that different than what you were paying anyway? It's still a discount!" ignores the fact that, with alcohol and buffets and bad service and free will, this might well make a financial difference for many DDE members. It certainly changes the terms under which we all purchased the DDE card.

And who knows how easy it will be to change it if you want to pay a different tip? I would not enjoy a meal knowing I had to have a confrontation of any sort with the manager at the end of it about the bill.

But, as I said, of all the very legitimate concerns raised here, not one person has said they object to tipping entirely and that, Bill, is what your initial post asserted.

(By the way, very few people have said it could reduce service quality, Kat, though that's as valid a point as any when talking about a mandatory gratuity).

davinakb

From way back in the thread somewhere: As it currently is, since the dining plan introduction, menus have shrunk, quality has declined, restaurants are rediculously crowded, and booking reservations has become a sometimes impossible chore, and not at all fun. As it currently is, since the dining plan introduction, menus have shrunk, quality has declined, restaurants are rediculously crowded, and booking reservations has become a sometimes impossible chore, and not at all fun
While I could not agree more, I find some of the issues predate the DDP by a year or two (limited menus for one), and think the DDP added new ones, and made others worse, i.e. the reservation system... book 6 months out or else; struggle to find decent times; call a month or so out to add 1 to the group and get told your time moves 3 hours later; keep/show up at the real time, and ... get sat right away as there are plenty of empty tables. True story. Anyway, back to topic of DDE tip:
We have used the DDE card for our last 2 trips to WDW, and always figured that it really just paid the tip on each TS meal. ... but it's the principle of the thing! We'll probably renew our card, because, even though I resent the new policy, it would be cutting off my nose to spite my face to give up the discount. That response is probably what WDW is counting on from most DDE cardholders.
I think that is where we will be, and truthfully it will hurt our servers more in the long run, as we have usually tipped 20% or more on the full, pre-discount bill, including wine. Like you we just looked at the discount, gave it right back.
I take the approach that I'd prefer to set the tip myself and it would be higher, but if Disney is going to force me to tip at all, then what they force me to tip is all they'll get.
Unless the service is absolutely stellar, we'll probably leave it at the 18% as our wee act of protest (esp. since according to some of these posts, we've been overtipping on the high-priced wine by leaving 20% or more). FWIW.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Because Im just great not only will I happily pay the 18% but Ill leave a further 20% just to make sure the server gets a decent reward. And my years of service helps me plan with ruthless efficiency for each day, though I must admit the effects of age may enforce a changing of the frequency of toilet breaks.

Hoorrahhh hopefuly this change will help keep the riff raff to a minimum.

lawyergirl77

Holy Cow!! Just came back from 9 days at WDW and I had no idea that they were now going to be adding 18% automatically to our DDE bills!!! :eek:

FWIW, we never got gratuity added to our bills at any of the TS restaurants we went to, and we were basically tipping our DDE discount, except in one notable case where the service was godawful (Kona Café). Example? The coffee she served me at the end of the meal was actually an empty mug. With lipstick stains on the rim. I won't even talk about what happened during our meal. We "only" gave her 15% .

Unfortunately, I know myself and I wouldn't kick up a fuss, even if I didn't want to tip the full 18%. I was a waitress for too long and I can hardly bring myself to tip less than 15% even when my meal was a disaster!! *sigh* I sincerely hope that this is a short-lived change...

biggy H

Holy Cow!! Just came back from 9 days at WDW and I had no idea that they were now going to be adding 18% automatically to our DDE bills!!! :eek:

FWIW, we never got gratuity added to our bills at any of the TS restaurants we went to, and we were basically tipping our DDE discount, except in one notable case where the service was godawful (Kona Café). Example? The coffee she served me at the end of the meal was actually an empty mug. With lipstick stains on the rim. I won't even talk about what happened during our meal. We "only" gave her 15% .

Unfortunately, I know myself and I wouldn't kick up a fuss, even if I didn't want to tip the full 18%. I was a waitress for too long and I can hardly bring myself to tip less than 15% even when my meal was a disaster!! *sigh* I sincerely hope that this is a short-lived change...

If it was that bad why tip at all?

I sure wouldn't have and I would have complained to the manager for some sort of refund!

danyoung

I don't think they start with this until after the first of the year. My next trip is in 2 weeks, and I'm going to be looking very closely at the dining receipts to make sure they don't try to sneak it in!

prberk

Ziggy on the DDE

Looks like Ziggy may be a DDE member...

lzi071121.gif

That is from today's newspapers. I couldn't help but post it!

Paul

lawyergirl77

If it was that bad why tip at all?

I sure wouldn't have and I would have complained to the manager for some sort of refund!
I'm one of those pathetic saps/former waitresses who can't bring themselves to under-tip or outright stiff people for things like that. I just prefer not to go back to the restaurant... The waitress seemed nice enough, just overwhelmed and having a bad day. *shrug* I realize that it makes me a wuss, but I tend to save my anger/righteous indignation for my job and tend to be very zen (to the point of gullibility), especially when I'm in WDW!! :lol:

Topic? Forced tipping stinks. :(

typhoon22

Just got back from WDW Sunday. Used DDE at Mama Melrose's and 18% was added, and used DDE at Cal. Grill and it was not added (so I left 20%). Didn't have to pay valet at the Boardwalk even though we were eating at Tepan Edo where the don't accept DDE.

Mommeee

Just got back from WDW Sunday. Used DDE at Mama Melrose's and 18% was added

I'm finding this really upsetting - I was there in October and felt the trip was way more expensive than I expected (as I always do!) but this makes me wonder if 18% was tagged onto some of my meals and I didn't realize it.

Does anyone know an email for whomever is in charge of that sort of thing so I can write and ask? Not that I could trace back all my meals and find out - that ship has sailed - but I woul dlike to know if there's any rhyme or reason to this.

Captain Chaos

I used to have the DDE. Didn't care for the service. I didn't feel like I was saving much. Now, with this gratuity added in, there is no savings. Glad I didn't renew.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom