Disney Dining Experience Changes

Maerj

While the label did change in color it still has Mickey both on the label and on the soap. Also the products are now made by H20 which is considerably better quality than what was being used before.

Thank you for the clarification! The way people were talking about it on here they made it sound generic and Mickeyless. The wdw.communications people probably read that in my email and went 'huh?' :lol:

brkgnews

... I got this about a half hour ago from the DDE team: ...

... This adjustment to the program has been implemented in order to align the Disney Dining Experience Program with other dining experiences where gratuities are included.

No wait just one donkey-farking minute, DDE folks... aligning with other dining experiences where gratuities are included? The biggest one (DDP) is NOT going to have the tip anymore. This puts DDE in line with what? Dine with an Imagineer and some of the dinner shows?

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
No wait just one donkey-farking minute, DDE folks... aligning with other dining experiences where gratuities are included? The biggest one (DDP) is NOT going to have the tip anymore. This puts DDE in line with what? Dine with an Imagineer and some of the dinner shows?
and cast discount

mkt

Premium Member
Uh Rob, this is for everyone. Not just DDE. Everyone at a table service resturant will have 18% added to their bill. Its in the union contract.
I'm reading the contract right now, so far I see parties over 6 and discounted dining... but not everyone.

Please point it out Dave :)

mkt

Premium Member
And I don't think Joe Schmuckpack would classify that as a "dining experience."

Although... compared to eating in the basement at MK... :lookaroun
hah!!!

I never pulled out my CM ID back in the day. It guaranteed poor service.

tecowdw

Uh Rob, this is for everyone. Not just DDE. Everyone at a table service restaurant will have 18% added to their bill. Its in the union contract.

Actually, I believe the contract reads that this will include DDP, DDE, Private Dining, dinner shows and other prepaid dining plans. It doesn't state anything about regular paying guests under the party size of 6. So, I believe if you are not using any of the plans mentioned then you will not be subject to the automatic gratuity.

It also states that if a guest doesn't wish to pay the gratuity (so it can definitely be argued), the cast member must follow certain guidelines. The cast member must advise a member of Management to speak with the guest before they exit. If it is determined to not be due to inadequate service, then the Company must reimburse the difference lost to the cast member. This makes sense to ~ if you do experience bad service, a member of Management should be involved!

mkt

Premium Member
My question on this one is,

if the service is bad enough that the guest chooses to leave a lesser or no tip, does management have the right to override the contract in this event?

tecowdw

My question on this one is,

if the service is bad enough that the guest chooses to leave a lesser or no tip, does management have the right to override the contract in this event?

Per the contract as I read it, if less gratuity is paid due to inadequate service, the cast member is SOL. If it is just due to the guest not wanting to pay that much gratuity, then the Company is SOL and must reimburse the difference.

mkt

Premium Member
Per the contract as I read it, if less gratuity is paid due to inadequate service, the cast member is SOL. If it is just due to the guest not wanting to pay that much gratuity, then the Company is SOL and must reimburse the difference.
Really??

If that's the case, then this could be fun for me, making Disney pay :D

spaceghost

Actually, I believe the contract reads that this will include DDP, DDE, Private Dining, dinner shows and other prepaid dining plans. It doesn't state anything about regular paying guests under the party size of 6. So, I believe if you are not using any of the plans mentioned then you will not be subject to the automatic gratuity.

It also states that if a guest doesn't wish to pay the gratuity (so it can definitely be argued), the cast member must follow certain guidelines. The cast member must advise a member of Management to speak with the guest before they exit. If it is determined to not be due to inadequate service, then the Company must reimburse the difference lost to the cast member. This makes sense to ~ if you do experience bad service, a member of Management should be involved!

Actually, this does not include DDP...but the rest is accurate. See below:

4. An automatic gratuity of eighteen percent (18%) will be added for supplemental food and beverage purchased at prepaid venues (i.e., Spirit of Aloha, Hoop-Dee-Doo, Cinderella’s Royal Table, Princess Tea, Special Pre-paid events such as New Year’s Eve at California Grill).

15. An eighteen percent (18%) service charge will be added for Company sponsored Cast discounts, e.g. Cast Serving Cast, Cast discounted meals, and Cast Celebration discounted meals. The service charge will be based on the total Food and Beverage charges before any discounts have been applied. This provision does not apply to Disney Dining Experience and Disney Vacation Club. Effective January 1, 2008, the eighteen percent (18%) service charge for all existing and new package plans, including Disney Dining Plan, supplemental Food and/or Beverage purchased and consumed by the guest covered by the package plan will be discontinued. Effective January 1, 2008, an automatic gratuity of eighteen percent (18%) will be added for all guests on the Disney Dining Experience discount program, based on the retail value of the Food and Beverage.

NewfieFan

Ok, so let me get this straight. The automatic 18% gratutity is for DDE only!?! Have we established this yet? I can totally understand "you guys" who have purchased the DDE being upset over this. It's not about the 18% it's all about it being forced on you!!!

NewfieFan

The Disney Management continues to make changes that seem to punish the repeat visit folks. Some of my favorite dishes have disappeared and food quality have suffered tremendously all due to those stupid FREE Disney Dining that management still does. It's these first timers who don't know the ropes and all the ins and outs that screw us and yet management is helping them out. During the same period that we are not paying an auto 18% they are not auto paying anything, how many servers is this going to effect?

What does the free dining plan and first timers have to do with this topic!?! How can you blame the people "who don't know the ropes and all the ins and outs that screw us"? How exactly are they screwing you?

Everybody loves to blame the DDP for everything! Quality & selection may have gone down since the DDP was implemented. Is this a direct result of the DDP - that I don't know. And I'm not going to argue the fact that the restaurants are busier now and you have to plan your trip in advance (if you want a TS restaurant). What the DDP does do however is give people a chance to eat at TS restaurants during their trip and make it affordable! I would never have been able to afford to eat the food I did and eat in the restaurants that I did if it were not for the DDP. The DDP can be good value for your money depending on the restaurants that you want to eat at. I don't mind planning my trip months in advance (infact I kind of enjoy it) to obtain ADRs. The DDP may not benefit everybody but it does for some! I guess Disney just can't keep everybody happy on this one!:shrug:

daguru

So, if the 18% tip if pre-discount and the discount is 20%, then I am only getting a 2% discount? :shrug:

Could this have been a measure since the DPP is dropping tips from the plan?

So, if the 18% tip if pre-discount and the discount is 20%, then I am only getting a 2% discount? :shrug:
Not really. Let's say your dinner comes to $100. You receive a 20% discount and are charged $80. 18% of the original bill ($100) is tacked on. Your dinner check is now $98. Taking for granted that you would leave a tip for good service, however, it would have been $118 without the DDE card.

I agree with those who are saying that it's not the 18% that is the problem. It's the principle of being forced to pay a surcharge instead of a gratuity for good service.

I've already decided that our group will not use the dining plan because of the changes in 2008. Now this change to the DDP has me wondering if I should just explore the great counter service places and have less table service meals next summer. I'm starting to feel that Disney thinks they can fleece me as much as they want and I'll just take it. I don't think so.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom