Disney Cruise Line Stateroom Reviews

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
Another question, I noticed there are rooms with very big solid wall varandahs in the back of the ship.
are these worth it? some people in youtube posted videos and the varandah of some of them are huge (#deck 8 I think).

On the Dream and Fantasy? Yes, those are 5E's. The verandahs are ginormous. Some people love them and others don't like the vibrations back there.

janoimagine

also, vibrations?
as in the engine vibrations? or other type (restaurant? chairs?)

If it is anything like the rear cabins on the Magic it would be from the engines ... at times they were pretty noticeable. We were in 6126 on the Jan 6th Sailing and I felt them quite a bit, also their was some type of electric pump or lift that seemed to power up at least once every hour ... to me it sounded like a muffled warning horn.

janoimagine

OK so here is my review of Stateroom 6126. The Good, the Bad ... and the Ugly.

On the whole it is a great room, their are a few issues with the location, IE your door is directly across from the service door and elevators and it can get quite noisy on the first and last days of your sailing. The updated room had the raised bed which was great for hiding the suitcases, a must as even though this is an Ocean view Stateroom, with the 2 and a Half of us we did find it a little tight at times.

From first entering our stateroom I noticed a large amount of white paint overspray on our veranda glass, I thought is was salt spray but after taking a rag to the window it wasn't going anywhere … then their was a rust filled and clogged drain on the veranda itself. Upon opening the bathroom door we were greeted with the smell of a summer chemical toilet, and a similar smell was also present coming from the drains in the shower and sink .. and to a woman who is 11 weeks pregnant it might as well have been a open septic tank in the florida sun. The ceilings in the shower were rusting, and we were missing the tie-off ropes for the drapes everywhere and a couple light switch covers in the room itself. We informed our Stateroom Host who did his best to combat the stench, however at the time we discovered the issue the ship was still being filled so we were told to try back later to see if we could do anything about it (IE move rooms), and the sign present on the Guest Relations Counter indicated the ship was full up.

To compound the problem the toilet had a mind of its own, some days it would work perfectly, other days it would delay the flush and for extended periods or not flush at all until maintenance “fixed” it, a couple times. The other issue was the water, at certain positions on the faucets the water had a spitting strobe effect and all the loud pipe noises that accompany it, which I am sure was great to the couple in the room next to our’s at 2am when I was coming back from O-gill's to wash my hands.

I gave up on the toilet and ever getting a new stateroom, even though on the last night it was offered (but by then who would want to go thru the hassle of moving for the last 10 hours of your vacation? .. it was a short cruise and we just kept the bathroom doors closed, I ended up using the toilet on Deck 5 outside the Buena Vista Theater as home base) and just asked Guest Relations to note my account and have a representative from the Cruise Line contact me after the sailing … if that ever happens I will post here with my results.

First, I love the Disney Cruise Line. This was our third sailing in just as many years and we love the service and quality that the Disney Brand demands and most of the time offers.

To the crew of the Magic, you are fantastic, and wonderful and everything we have come to expect as avid Disney Cruiser’s, and we loved the service and politeness at which you carried out your jobs. To the officers of the Magic whose responsibility it is to do the ship wide inspections for items like the light, you need to up your game and demand better, shame on you for meeting every morning in front of Guest Relations and not getting such a simple cosmetic issue fixed (read below).

I commented to my wife several times that I was shocked that a ship that just came out of dry dock had so many dents and scratches, right down to a recessed lighting can that was hanging half out of its socket next to grease smears along the ceiling … where was this? Right above the Guest Relations Counter. That summed up my feelings about the rest of the ship. Metal and Saltwater are a loosing battle, I get that, but I noticed an abnormal amount of missing laquer on the wood surfaces and rust on the painted areas, paint drips all over the wood deck and to make matters worse on the walking deck, (3 I believe) I noticed a large amount of oil/grease on the deck where a couple hoist cover’s had been removed and never replaced, leaving the lubricant to leak all over the place below.

The re-imagined areas were beautiful, even to a couple without children ( … yet, we are expecting our first in July) the Aqua Dunk, Pool Area, Avengers Academy, well done and beautiful. We even loved the DVC staff members (as we are DVC owners) who met us and talked with us daily, Scott and Keith … you guys were fantastic, thank you for your genuine hospitality and brutal honesty. I think the biggest problem was that it truly needed a 3 to 4 month refit and it only got 6 weeks.

The ship was just missing the polish and refinement we came to expect from previous sailing's with Disney.

I will stick to the newer ships in the future like the Dream or Fantasy … Unless the Wonder goes down for an extended refurb, I don’t see myself sailing on the older class ships.

All in all, despite the problems, rough seas, sick people (lots of them FYI) and lousy weather I still was grateful I was on a Disney Cruise and not shoveling 16" of snow back home. At the end of the day it was still a Disney Cruise, and still a premium product that ... I hope ... get's these issues corrected by the Cruise Line and Ships Officers, we know they are better and so do they.

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster

sring

Disney Magic 6588 (post referb)
Stateroom Category 05B -Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom with Verandah
Midship

Well appointed stateroom with a queen sized bed and a sofa that converted to a bed. This stateroom should be used for a party of no more than 3.

The furniture was in relatively good shape with a few scratches noted on the outside of the closet and the desk.

Had a couple of housekeeping issues. Food was found in the chiller box from a previous guest and I noted dust on the top of the baseboard on the bathroom. Maintenance wise, make sure to push the button for the toilet all the way in and wait for the flush to start or you will disable flushing for about 20 minutes (had this happen twice, called maintenance and it had sorted itself by the time someone from maintenance arrived).

The stateroom is about midway between the mid-ship and aft elevators and is right across the hall from the guest laundry room. I generally found it to be quiet but I suppose that would depend somewhat on the character of your neighbors and those using the laundry.

The Veranda was lovely! When docked at Castaway Cay we were facing the island/ocean and not the pier, this should be the picture next to Paradise in the dictionary.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
On the Dream and Fantasy? Yes, those are 5E's. The verandahs are ginormous. Some people love them and others don't like the vibrations back there.

Was just assigned 9670 (5E) for my next cruise on the Dream. Will have to do a review when I get back. It is right on the corner.

PartOfYourWorld

A little late after our cruise, but I figured I would chime in!
Disney Dream
Stateroom #7582
Room Category: 05C-Deluxe Oceanview with Verandah
Aft, Mid or Forward: Mid
Date of Sailing: 5/23/13 to 5/26/13

This was my husband and I's first cruise as part of our honeymoon, and what a great room to have for it too!!! We were mid ship right near the main elevators. This was great! We could easily get to everything. On occasion we heard kids running up and down the halls, but really it was expected because you hear that even in the Walt Disney World resorts so that didn't bother us at all. Other than that we didn't hear any kids!

As far as the room goes we had a split bath which worked out great since once of us could get ready without waiting for the other one to get out of the shower. The room was very spacious and we had room for all of our luggage. The verandah was great and we loved to sit out on it in the mornings before getting ready for the day. Even though I wished we used it more! Being on a 3 day cruise we wanted to explore everything!

The best part was on the morning of Castaway Cay our room was facing the island. So I believe we were on the starboard side then? If I came on the Dream again (I've been on there a second time already and tried an inside stateroom will review after this) I would definitely stay in this room again!!! We had a great stateroom host and overall great 1st cruise!!!!

Here are some pictures, similar to everyone else's on here...
IMG_7933_zps438efc9b.jpg

IMG_7934_zps688c74e0.jpg

IMG_7935_zps6b564d84.jpg

IMG_7939_zps5aa432cf.jpg

Our verandah
IMG_7992_zps98c5c7cd.jpg

Looking in from the Verandah
IMG_8022_zps611afc7c.jpg

Our view on Castaway Morning
IMG_8246_zps5e997401.jpg

PartOfYourWorld

Disney Dream
Stateroom #7567
Room Category: 11B-Standard Inside Stateroom
Aft, Mid or Forward: Mid
Date of Sailing: 9/8/13-9/12/13

When I first walked into this stateroom I felt a little closed-in especially after being in a verandah room on my first cruise. This room felt like if it had more than 2 more people you would be pretty cramped. It didn't have a split bath, it just had one bathroom with the shower and toilet. I do prefer the split bath. It had plenty of room still to store our luggage under the bed and elsewhere.

One thing that was really cool about the inside stateroom was the magical porthole. It's just the characters went by so fast I never had a chance to take a picture of alot of them!!!!

As far as the location goes, it was awesome because we were right next to the main elevators and stairs so easy to get everywhere. We barely heard any kids at all in this area it was great!

Eventually, I got used to the inside stateroom after a day it still felt funny to me at times not really knowing where you were because of no window. We had a great stateroom host, and overall great cruise!!! (especially with 27 other ladies ;))

Here are a few pictures (sorry I didn't have more)!
IMG_8886_zps5bbd7a8a.jpg

IMG_8887_zpsb119e592.jpg

Chesire Cat on the virtual porthole!
IMG_8980_zps58b2f39e.jpg

Lynn1030

Ship: Dream
Stateroom #5522
Room Category: 8A
Aft, Mid or Forward: Forward
Date of Sailing: Jan 26-30, 2014

We were a family of 3 (including a 19 month old toddler) that sailed on the Disney Dream January 26 - 30th, 2014. We were really intrigued by the Category 08A rooms. Category 08A rooms are one category below the balcony rooms, but still considered Oceanview because it’s a “porthole” room. However, we didn’t get just one porthole, we got two very large portholes! These were large enough to sit in and enjoy the view without the worries of a balcony with a toddler that liked to throw things at the time.

Another major benefit of these rooms is the amount of SPACE they have. There was plenty of room for Trent to run around, which is so important at his age…because if they can’t run around and release that energy, it comes out in the form of a tantrum…usually at dinner. We also had plenty of space for storage and all of our suitcases and clothes were completely out of view. There were also 2 tvs.

And the final major benefit I’ll mention is the bathroom. The shower and tub were just like at home, just smaller….not one of those stand-up only showers in most cruise bathrooms that hardly allow any wiggle room. There would have been no way to give Trent a bath if we didn’t have the tub.

Location: Room 5522 was on Deck 5, Forward Starboard Side. It wasn’t as close to elevators as we would have liked and it definitely took us a day to figure out how to get to our room depending on which elevator we took, since we were near the theater and one of the hallways leading from the mid-elevators to our room was non-existent, so we had to go around the theater to get anywhere on our floor. We could take the forward elevators up to Deck 11 and we would be near the ice cream machines, but everything else required us to walk all the way to the Aft, including Cabana’s, Flo’s and the dining rooms. While we absolutely loved our room, we didn’t like the amount of walking to get to the places we used most…with a toddler. Although, Trent was delighted to press the elevator buttons every time.

Well, that’s enough talking, how about some photos?

This first one was taken by the door/bathroom. To the right is the desk/sitting area with 2 chairs and the couch that turns into a single bed. To the far right and not pictured is the very large closet, where each of us had our own section.

Disney-Dream-Stateroom-5522-1.jpg

This next photo was taken over by the closet. Just look at all that floor space! SOOO much bigger than a typical stateroom. The door on the left is the bathroom and the door by the bed is a connecting door if you had friends/family staying in the connecting room (we never heard anything through the door, so either it was empty, they were really quiet or the door blocks out the sound). The fridge is located in that cabinet directly underneath the tv.

Disney-Dream-Stateroom-5522-2.jpg

If you want the couch made up into a bed at night, just tell your stateroom attendant and he will make sure it is done every night and then made back into a couch for during the day. Also, that little ottoman-like table opens up for more storage.

Disney-Dream-Stateroom-5522-3.jpg

The next photo gives you a good picture of the entire layout and of how HUGE those portholes are!

Disney-Dream-Stateroom-5522-4.jpg

Here, you can kind of see the padding on the bottom of the porthole that is supposed to make it comfy to sit on. However, maybe my pregnant butt was too wide because I found the width of the “seat” to be a little on the small side to where I couldn’t lay down and relax. There’s lots of storage room underneath the bed for suitcases and such.

Disney-Dream-Stateroom-5522-5.jpg

Disney-Dream-Stateroom-5522-6.jpg

The tub/shower combo was perfect for a toddler and us adults had room to move…although Brett said he was about an inch from his head hitting the ceiling, so if you are over 6 feet tall, you may find yourself leaning over for your shower.

Disney-Dream-Stateroom-5522-7.jpg

Disney-Dream-Stateroom-5522-8.jpg

Last edited:

tracyandalex

Ship: Magic
Stateroom #5144
Room Category: 06A
Aft, Mid or Forward: Aft
Date of Sailing: March 14

This stateroom has a verandah with a white wall. We had never stayed in a veranda with a white wall before so we did not really know what to expect. I had seen pictures of a half whitewall, but this one has a full whitewall and is a little smaller than the normal verandas. It wasn't the best, but it ended up being ok. It was a VGT so for the price I can't complain. The rest of the room is standard verandah with the split bathrooms.

The location was what really sold us on this room. It seems most things we do on the ship are aft or midship - the oceaneer club, the theatre, the restaurants, the kid pool, and the atrium for characters meets.

Overall we liked this room, but prefer the midship veranda rooms

JennK

Ship: Disney Dream
Stateroom # 9168
Room Category: Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom with Verandah
Aft (Almost as Aft as you can get)
Date of Sailing: 10/23/11 - 10/27/11

We traveled on our first cruise on the Disney Dream for our honeymoon in October 2011. Our room was almost as aft as you can possibly get, as we were the second to last room from the back of the ship but it was pretty close to the stairs which was a plus. The best part of the room was the fact that we were so close to Cabanas and to the pool decks. Our room was fairly quiet except for the morning that we were in Nassau. When the ship docked, it vibrated so bad that it actually woke us up. Our bathroom doors were making a rattling noise from all the vibrating so I got up and closed them and that drastically reduced the noise. Other than the minor vibrating/noise problem when docking, I would highly recommend the room. I really liked the location and having a verandah was really nice with no obstruction. I believe the room could sleep 3 or 4 and it had a split bath.

IMG_1528.jpg

IMG_1529.jpg

IMG_1530.jpg

IMG_1531.jpg

IMG_1532.jpg

IMG_1533.jpg

IMG_1534.jpg

IMG_1537.jpg

IMG_1539.jpg

Just booked this stateroom for a cruise in June 2015, glad to hear the good review!

Cesar R M

Ship: Dream
Stateroom #5522
Room Category: 8A
Aft, Mid or Forward: Forward
Date of Sailing: Jan 26-30, 2014

We were a family of 3 (including a 19 month old toddler) that sailed on the Disney Dream January 26 - 30th, 2014. We were really intrigued by the Category 08A rooms. Category 08A rooms are one category below the balcony rooms, but still considered Oceanview because it’s a “porthole” room. However, we didn’t get just one porthole, we got two very large portholes! These were large enough to sit in and enjoy the view with the worries of a balcony with a toddler that liked to throw things at the time.

Another major benefit of these rooms is the amount of SPACE they have. There was plenty of room for Trent to run around, which is so important at his age…because if they can’t run around and release that energy, it comes out in the form of a tantrum…usually at dinner. We also had plenty of space for storage and all of our suitcases and clothes were completely out of view. There were also 2 tvs.

And the final major benefit I’ll mention is the bathroom. The shower and tub were just like at home, just smaller….not one of those stand-up only showers in most cruise bathrooms that hardly allow any wiggle room. There would have been no way to give Trent a bath if we didn’t have the tub.

Location: Room 5522 was on Deck 5, Forward Starboard Side. It wasn’t as close to elevators as we would have liked and it definitely took us a day to figure out how to get to our room depending on which elevator we took, since we were near the theater and one of the hallways leading from the mid-elevators to our room was non-existent, so we had to go around the theater to get anywhere on our floor. We could take the forward elevators up to Deck 11 and we would be near the ice cream machines, but everything else required us to walk all the way to the Aft, including Cabana’s, Flo’s and the dining rooms. While we absolutely loved our room, we didn’t like the amount of walking to get to the places we used most…with a toddler. Although, Trent was delighted to press the elevator buttons every time.

Well, that’s enough talking, how about some photos?

This first one was taken by the door/bathroom. To the right is the desk/sitting area with 2 chairs and the couch that turns into a single bed. To the far right and not pictured is the very large closet, where each of us had our own section.

Disney-Dream-Stateroom-5522-1.jpg

This next photo was taken over by the closet. Just look at all that floor space! SOOO much bigger than a typical stateroom. The door on the left is the bathroom and the door by the bed is a connecting door if you had friends/family staying in the connecting room (we never heard anything through the door, so either it was empty, they were really quiet or the door blocks out the sound). The fridge is located in that cabinet directly underneath the tv.

Disney-Dream-Stateroom-5522-2.jpg

If you want the couch made up into a bed at night, just tell your stateroom attendant and he will make sure it is done every night and then made back into a couch for during the day. Also, that little ottoman-like table opens up for more storage.

Disney-Dream-Stateroom-5522-3.jpg

The next photo give you a good picture of the entire layout and of how HUGE those portholes are!

Disney-Dream-Stateroom-5522-4.jpg

Here, you can kind of see the padding on the bottom of the porthole that is supposed to make it comfy to sit on. However, maybe my pregnant butt was too wide because I found the width of the “seat” to be a little on the small side to where I couldn’t lay down and relax. There’s lots of storage room underneath the bed for suitcases and such.

Disney-Dream-Stateroom-5522-5.jpg

Disney-Dream-Stateroom-5522-6.jpg

The tub/shower combo was perfect for a toddler and us adults had room to move…although Brett said he was about an inch from his head hitting the ceiling, so if you are over 6 feet tall, you may find yourself leaning over for your shower.

Disney-Dream-Stateroom-5522-7.jpg

Disney-Dream-Stateroom-5522-8.jpg

Its amazing how BIG this room is!!

loveofamouse

Disney Dream-April 2014- rm# 8590 (handicap accessible)

We just got back from our cruise yesterday. Cabin 8590 is on the starboard side approx midship. This is a handicap room so it is wider with a roll in bath with roll in shower with handrails and seat. The verandah also had ramping going in and out. One closet had a cloths bar that could swing down to also be wheelchair accessible height. The safe was also low enough to be reached. I don't know if this was common for all of the rooms but there appeared to only be two outlets for personal devices or medical equipment, one by the bed and on vanity. The door was powered so swiping your KTTW card would automatically swing the door wide open with a switch on the inside to swing the door open for leaving. This also proved to be slightly annoying as you couldn't just crack the door open a bit to get your room service or answer the door for anything. It was ALL the way open or closed so be mindful of anyone changing clothes at the time someone knocks lol. It's also on a timer so it stays open for a predetermined amount of time. Bathroom switch was on the outside, leading to some pranks with the kids. The bathroom was also equipment with emergency cords and buttons for fall assistance that guests have the choice to activate. The views from this room are amazing and completely unobstructed. We had the perfect view of CC the entire day. As for noise, while we couldn't hear anyone on the pool deck or anything, we could hear everyone that ran or giggled down the hall. Also, the toilet stunk. Would be most noticeable at wheelchair height. Sleeps 5 with pull down bunk and murphy bed.

Attachments

• 20140330_133950.JPG
    20140330_133950.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 100
  • 20140330_172053.JPG
    20140330_172053.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 150
  • 20140330_135233.JPG
    20140330_135233.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 163
  • 20140401_164713.JPG
    20140401_164713.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
We're on the Dream in October - State Room 9668, Category 6A. I have a question - what is a veranda with white wall? The woman who booked our room indicated it would be quiet, but after reading some of the comments I'm not sure. According to the map, the room is aft, near where the ship curves to the back.

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
We're on the Dream in October - State Room 9668, Category 6A. I have a question - what is a veranda with white wall? The woman who booked our room indicated it would be quiet, but after reading some of the comments I'm not sure. According to the map, the room is aft, near where the ship curves to the back.

A white wall is a metal portion of the ship that covers part of your verandah. In other words, some of the verandah wall is obstructed by metal. On the Magic and Wonder it's significant, on the Dream it's more like 18 inches high. Not a big deal at all.

Thumper14

I am planning a cruise on the Disney Dream in late November. Looks like the Cat 04C Deluxe Family Oceanview Stateroom with Verandah will suffice for us. We are 4 adults, my husband and I, our 24 y/o son and his 22 y/o girlfriend. I think the bunk bed style beds will work out nicely for them. I chose 4C to get deck 7, I was warned about deck 6. And it looks like the starboard side maybe the way to go for morning coffee at CC. Any other suggestions? This will be my first Disney cruise. I am a veteran RC cruiser, I thought I would give Mickey's ship a try.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom