Disney Cruise FAQ's

Status
Not open for further replies.

devoy1701

Should we be worried about what stuff we bring with us on shore excursions? I'm talking phones, watches, jewelry, anything in our wallets, etc? Call me nieve but I've never been in the Caribbean and I'm not sure what to expect. The questions sparks from us picking up our wedding bands this past weekend and my darling soon to be wife picked out one that with a bit more sparkle than I anticipated (she sure is happy with it though and that's all that matters). Being newly wed she's of course not going to want to take it off at all on the cruise. So I was just wondering your thoughts on what to bring when off the ship. :D

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
Should we be worried about what stuff we bring with us on shore excursions? I'm talking phones, watches, jewelry, anything in our wallets, etc? Call me nieve but I've never been in the Caribbean and I'm not sure what to expect. The questions sparks from us picking up our wedding bands this past weekend and my darling soon to be wife picked out one that with a bit more sparkle than I anticipated (she sure is happy with it though and that's all that matters). Being newly wed she's of course not going to want to take it off at all on the cruise. So I was just wondering your thoughts on what to bring when off the ship. :D

I don't worry about it too much in the Caribbean. Having said that, I'd leave what you can in the safe in the room, and be aware of people around you. If you get worried about the ring, she can flip it around so the diamond is in her palm. I do that sometimes.

Oh and sparkle is good!!:)

Phonedave

It is not a war zone where you are going to get jumped. But it is a place with a lot of tourists. And like any place with a lot of tourists, there are going to be a lot of people who prey on tourists.

Take what you need with you, but nothing extra. Put wallets in your front pocket, and use common sense.

One thing though, new rings, that may be sized a little large, can (and do) come off in the surf.

-dave

devoy1701

I don't worry about it too much in the Caribbean. Having said that, I'd leave what you can in the safe in the room, and be aware of people around you. If you get worried about the ring, she can flip it around so the diamond is in her palm. I do that sometimes.

Oh and sparkle is good!!:)

It is not a war zone where you are going to get jumped. But it is a place with a lot of tourists. And like any place with a lot of tourists, there are going to be a lot of people who prey on tourists.

Take what you need with you, but nothing extra. Put wallets in your front pocket, and use common sense.

One thing though, new rings, that may be sized a little large, can (and do) come off in the surf.

-dave

Thanks for the responses. My Fiance was also worried about leaving stuff in the in-room safes. Though I imagine that it hasn't been that big of an issue on DCL with anything coming up missing? I figure she will probably leave the engagement ring in the safe and just wear the wedding band.

I don't normally carry cash with me anywhere, but I imagine that it is necessary in some of those towns when off the ship. I also know that my Capital One card doesn't have any International Transaction fees, so I was planning on bringing it with me when we left the ship but leaving the others locked up in the safe as well. Do phones work in Mexico/Grand Cayman using WiFi atleast instead of data (don't want to pay the roaming fees!!!)?

btw: thank you for giving me real responses.... I was waiting for someone to call me a smug pompus a** or something with my intial question. I know it isn't a warzone or desolate 3rd World country that we're traveling too, but my only knowledge of some of the Caribbean ports is that which I see on the news...such as when an entire Carnival Cruiseline excursion party gets robbed at gun point! lol.

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
Thanks for the responses. My Fiance was also worried about leaving stuff in the in-room safes. Though I imagine that it hasn't been that big of an issue on DCL with anything coming up missing? I figure she will probably leave the engagement ring in the safe and just wear the wedding band.

I don't normally carry cash with me anywhere, but I imagine that it is necessary in some of those towns when off the ship. I also know that my Capital One card doesn't have any International Transaction fees, so I was planning on bringing it with me when we left the ship but leaving the others locked up in the safe as well. Do phones work in Mexico/Grand Cayman using WiFi atleast instead of data (don't want to pay the roaming fees!!!)?

btw: thank you for giving me real responses.... I was waiting for someone to call me a smug pompus a** or something with my intial question. I know it isn't a warzone or desolate 3rd World country that we're traveling too, but my only knowledge of some of the Caribbean ports is that which I see on the news...such as when an entire Carnival Cruiseline excursion party gets robbed at gun point! lol.

Yes, the Carnival excursion was not a good one!:lol:

I would definitely bring cash. Especially if you want to bargain with any shop owners. :)

Phonedave

Do phones work in Mexico/Grand Cayman using WiFi atleast instead of data (don't want to pay the roaming fees!!!)?

I assume you want to do things like check emails and such, as opposed to text / make calls.

The ship has cell service. It is not cheap, and it is only in the staterooms. You can pre-purchase blocks of data. Cell service on the ship will be turned off roughly three miles out of port - except for Castaway Cay

The ship also has computer access for a fee (less than cell service), and I believe you can use wi-fi in the computer lounge. Check on the availability of wi-fi, I may be wrong. But I guess if it does not exist you could plug in your own router.

The carrier in most of the Carribbean is LIME. I know the Cayman's use LIME. I have not used thier wi-fi but I have made calls from the Caymans to the States. It was not cheap, but not on the order of $100 for a call. More like $5

Georgetown, where you will port on Grand Cayman, is a HUGE international banking center. I would thing, with all the restaruants, cafes, stores, banks, etc there would be a place where you could find an open network.

Check out the LIME website http://www.time4lime.com/ and see what they have available.

-dave

devoy1701

How much cash should I bring for a 7-night cruise in the Carib and what kind of things should I expect to need come cash for? I don't want to bring too much for safety reasons (and because I hate carrying cash) but I don't want to not have enough and have to pay some ridiculous ATM fees to pull some out.

Thanks!

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
How much cash should I bring for a 7-night cruise in the Carib and what kind of things should I expect to need come cash for? I don't want to bring too much for safety reasons (and because I hate carrying cash) but I don't want to not have enough and have to pay some ridiculous ATM fees to pull some out.

Thanks!

Hmm. Good question. You'll definitely need a small amount for porter tips.

If you are doing any Disney excursions, you may want a little bit to tip the tour operators.

If you're going on your own, you'll want some for cab drivers and maybe a little for shopping. A lot of stores will take credit cards, but the little markets where sellers set up stands won't.

So I think a lot of it depends on how much shopping you will want to do and what you're doing in ports.

I usually take about $200 and live by the rule - if they take credit cards, I'll use the card. Then I save the cash for the times when I have to have it.

Rescue Ranger

Will be sailing my first Disney Cruise this September on the Dream. We chose a Magical Porthole room over an Ocean View because I thought the novelty of it would be great to try at least once. But now I'm starting to have second thoughts again about switching to the Ocean View. We have done verandahs enough times on previous cruises and we just never utilized it enough to warrant having one, so thats a definite pass.

How often do the characters appear through the Magical Porthole? If left on at night, is it too bright for sleeping? The nice floor to ceiling Ocean View porthole along with the circular tub and washroom area is awfully appealing, BUT I also love the novelty of the Magical Porthole as well. It would be great to wake up in the night and see Aladdin and Jasmine waving hello :eek:

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
Will be sailing my first Disney Cruise this September on the Dream. We chose a Magical Porthole room over an Ocean View because I thought the novelty of it would be great to try at least once. But now I'm starting to have second thoughts again about switching to the Ocean View. We have done verandahs enough times on previous cruises and we just never utilized it enough to warrant having one, so thats a definite pass.

How often do the characters appear through the Magical Porthole? If left on at night, is it too bright for sleeping? The nice floor to ceiling Ocean View porthole along with the circular tub and washroom area is awfully appealing, BUT I also love the novelty of the Magical Porthole as well. It would be great to wake up in the night and see Aladdin and Jasmine waving hello :eek:

I really like the Magical Portholes! They are awesome in person. The characters come by roughly every 30 minutes. At night time the porthole is fairly dark so it just kind of depends on how dark you like it. If it's providing too much light for you, it is nice that you can turn it off.

Do you have a room for 5? The round tubs are only in the larger Family staterooms. Just FYI.

Rescue Ranger

Thanks for the info :)

Well, I just got off the phone with them and I decided to keep the Magical Porthole. I know I would regret it if I didn't. BUT, I upgraded us to a DELUXE category 10A inside stateroom. Before we were on the 2nd deck. This way we get the split bath and bigger suite. There is only 2 of us going, with the potential of a third. I am very happy now!!!! We may not get the round tub, but thats ok. I assume there is no rain shower either?

We are on the 7th deck, forward of the ship.And another question on the Porthole....does it truly act like a real window in that when the morning approaches, the morning light you can depend to wake you up? I like to know when its daylight so I dont sleep-in!

ChuckElias

The Magic Porthole is a LIVE camera feed from the side of the ship. So, yes, if you want the morning light to wake you up, it will brighten the room at the same time it brightens the outside of the ship.

Do you have any advice on what mode of transportation I should use to get to the ship? I'm flying in to Orlando the day before boarding and I'm wondering how to get to Port Canaveral since on the website when I was booking, they said their buses couldn't take me.

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
Do you have any advice on what mode of transportation I should use to get to the ship? I'm flying in to Orlando the day before boarding and I'm wondering how to get to Port Canaveral since on the website when I was booking, they said their buses couldn't take me.

They're busses can still take you. If you stay at Disney World they can get you from there, or if you can get back to the airport they can get you from there. I will give you more details on the other thread. :)

mikewdw

stateroom question-
planning first cruise (of any kind) on Dream next year. we have stateroom 9000. is that a descent one? i dont know what is a good or bad stateroom to even have. info appreciated.
mikewdw

ChuckElias

stateroom question-
planning first cruise (of any kind) on Dream next year. we have stateroom 9000. is that a descent one? i dont know what is a good or bad stateroom to even have. info appreciated.
mikewdw
Mike,

Here's the description of your stateroom: http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/s...am-fantasy/deluxe-family-oceanview-stateroom/

It has the split bath, which IMHO is very important, and a nice big porthole. Also, you're on Deck 9. A couple of us have been on Deck 10 and had problems with noise during our cruises. But being one deck down, you should not get any noise from Deck 11. Additionally, you're at the very front of the ship, which is great for access to Quiet Cove (directly above you on Deck 11) and the Walt Disney Theater (directly below you on Decks 3 and 4). It might make it a little tough to get a quick coffee in the morning (you'd have to walk all the way aft to the beverage station on Deck 11), but then that's what room service is for!!

Be sure to give us a stateroom review when you get back!!

mikewdw

Mike,

Here's the description of your stateroom: http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/s...am-fantasy/deluxe-family-oceanview-stateroom/

It has the split bath, which IMHO is very important, and a nice big porthole. Also, you're on Deck 9. A couple of us have been on Deck 10 and had problems with noise during our cruises. But being one deck down, you should not get any noise from Deck 11. Additionally, you're at the very front of the ship, which is great for access to Quiet Cove (directly above you on Deck 11) and the Walt Disney Theater (directly below you on Decks 3 and 4). It might make it a little tough to get a quick coffee in the morning (you'd have to walk all the way aft to the beverage station on Deck 11), but then that's what room service is for!!

Be sure to give us a stateroom review when you get back!!

Maddog57

I am posting this here because my report responds to some issues raised in the FAQ’s

I am writing this cruise trip report to provide my opinion on the Disney Dream. Prior to sailing I had read other trip reports and blogs and was almost convinced that our cruise would be miserable. If I were to believe what I had read the ship was going to be too crowded, I would not be able to find a place on the beach at Castaway Cay. I would never be able to step foot on an elevator due to the crowds, and I would never be able to get wet in a pool. I found none of that to be true. In a word, our cruise was fabulous.

Before I begin let me give you my history with Disney. My wife and I are big Disney fans. Out 1st visit to WDW was in 1975 and we spent out honeymoon at the Polynesian Resort in 1976. Since 1991 we have visited WDW at least one time per year and this was our 4th time on a Disney cruise ship having sailed on the Disney Magic 3 times previous. We are members of the Disney Vacation Club.

We stayed the night prior to our cruise at the Port Canaveral Radisson hotel and utilized their park and shuttle service to the cruise ship. It represented a money savings as it was $30.00 to use their service as opposed to $105.00 to park at the Disney cruise terminal. Both trips were poor! We did not leave the hotel until 12:15, despite the fact that we were in the lobby of the hotel a full 20 minutes before our departure time of 12:00 PM. Fortunately it is a short trip to the cruise terminal. The return trip was HORRIBLE!! We had to wait for at least 3 Radisson shuttle buses before we were able to get on one. We only got on the 3rd one because they only had room for an additional 2 people. If not for that my wife and I would have had to wait in the hot sun (no shade available at the pick up location) for at least another 2 buses. It would have been well worth it to pay the additional charge for parking at the Disney cruise terminal to avoid this horrible experience and in the future I will.

Being members of the Castaway Club we went to that check in area. Our scheduled check in time was between 12:00 and 12:30 PM. We arrived at the counter at 12:35 PM and after checking in were able to walk directly onto the ship. I was a little concerned that the check in times would indeed be honored. My concern was that if people arrived early they would be allowed to board the ship. This was not true. There were many people waiting to board the ship that had already checked in. I can only think that they had arrived earlier than their assigned check in time and were given a boarding number according to their assigned check in time, not their actual arrival time.

Once on the ship we went to lunch in the Enchanted Garden and it was outstanding. It was a buffet that included everything you could possibly want for lunch and the food was very good. In fact each and every meal we had was excellent. From eating at our assigned restaurants for dinner, to eating at Cabana’s, to the all day buffet on deck 11 it was all excellent.

The only crowds at the elevators were around the start of the first dinner service. All other times riding on an elevator was not an issue with only 1 exception. It never fails to amaze me that people are unable to grasp the concept of boarding an elevator. The concept being that in order to make room for the oncoming riders they must first let the outgoing riders depart. People waiting for an elevator position themselves at the opening and refuse to let the outgoing riders depart. It was necessary for me to explain to these people that in order for there to be room for them to get on they first had to let me off.

This cruise included 2 days at Castaway Cay. My wife and I rode the Jet Skis on the first day and that was fun. Before our Jet Ski ride at 2:00 PM we visited the family beach and ate lunch at Cookies BBQ. Having been on the Disney Magic for 3 previous trips I was concerned (prior to reading the blogs) that with 1500 more passengers on the Disney Dream the beach would be crowded. This concern was unfounded. There was plenty of room on the beach and they were no lines waiting for food at Cookies BBQ. In fact on the 2nd day at Castaway Cay there were even less people on the beach. I figured that some people stayed on the ship having already done Castaway Cay. Their loss, I live at the beach and still enjoy visits to Castaway Cay. It is truly a unique experience.

Let me speak about the pools and the quiet areas. One of the reasons my wife and I have returned to the Disney cruise ships is due to the ability to separate ourselves from families with children. Doing anything Disney means children and that’s OK. It is my opinion that Disney is not for children because they can never appreciate all the attention to detail. When our son’s were growing up we took them to Disney when they could walk under their own power. I refused to wheel them around in a stroller because at that age they were too young to remember what had happened and it was a pain in the “you know where” for me. My apologies, I have digressed, but I wanted to make my opinion on children clear. The pools on the ship are what there are. I had read many complaints about the pools being too small. Lets face it folks you are not getting in a pool on a ship to swim. You are getting in the pool to get wet and cool off. For most months on a cruise ship the pools get hot anyway so the only relief is to get wet and then get out and let the breeze hit you. The pools serve that purpose just fine. My minor complaint for the pools and the quiet areas is that the rules were not enforced. While not actually in the adult pool, children were allowed to wander and linger in the adult only areas. My major complaint is regarding the Cove Café. I had looked forward to reading my book and enjoying a refreshing beverage at the Cove Café. This was advertised as a quiet area. I visited the Cove Café after our day at Castaway Cay. Unfortunately there was an older couple holding court in the Cove Café. They were the kind of people that repeat the same things over and over again. They kept repeating how they had found their “home away from home” and were going to be spending the rest of their cruise there. They kept pounding on the window, I don’t know why, and treating the servers as their private slaves. Needless to say, given the warning, this was my last visit to the Cove Café.

We went off the ship in Nassau. In my opinion this is a garbage infested sewer. I can understand that people there are living in poverty, but there is no excuse for the entire island being covered in garbage. For gosh sakes, they should introduce themselves to a trash can. We took the Ardastra Garden and City Tour. The Ardastra Gardens were OK. My wife wanted to see the Flamingo show, which was pretty cool. The flamingo’s march to the orders of a drill sergeant. The city tour covered a lot of the island and this was where I realized that the island was garbage infested. I am glad I was on a tour bus because I would not have felt safe wandering around by myself. Call me chicken or overly cautious if you like, but I saw a place I did not feel comfortable nor welcome. I will say I served in the U.S. Navy for 6 years and traveled all over the world. This was not my first visit to a “3rd world country”. In fact I was in Nassau in 1978 and it was nothing like it is now.

As stated previously we thoroughly enjoyed the cruise. Despite being sold out I could not have guessed there were 4000 people on board. Only so many people will fit into any given area, so you are segregated by that if nothing else. We thoroughly enjoyed the productions in the Walt Disney Theatre, they were truly well done. Having some minimal experience with the theatre it was obvious for me to see that these were professional productions and the actors cared about the performance they delivered. For that matter each and every member of the cruise ship cared about our experience and would go out of their way to make sure we were satisfied. That right there is the reason I keep returning to Disney for our holidays.
I will close by offering a tip for the cruise ship. I had read a suggestion to bring our travel mugs with us to be able to get coffee and tea at the self service stations. That was a very valuable tip. Allow me to also suggest that people bring large plastic cups with lids in order to enjoy the cold beverages. The disposable cups they provide are small.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom