Disney Crafting...

happymom52003

Awhile back I posted a thread asking for ideas to put in a "Disney Survival Kit" for my son's teacher who was going to WDW. I got alot of great ideas for items to put in the kit. I promised to post a pic of it when I was finished, but forgot....so here it is now. It is kind of crafty, so I thought this thread would be a good place for it. Here is the link to the original thread and pics of the finished product.

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=184599&highlight=disney+survival+kit

DSC04677.jpg

DSC04673.jpg

The Summer Survival Kit was for the teacher's assistant. These were end of the year gifts.
DSC04675.jpg

KBQueenWDW

This is one of my favorite things...a Monorail "Word Wall" each monorail color has it's own "word chunk" and the words that can be made from it riding on the monorail Disney character clip art was used to make the characters "ride" the monorail with the words. The students loved it!

I just stumbled upon this thread and wow, what a great idea! As a future 1st grade teacher, this is totally something that I'd LOVE to use in my classroom! How neat!! :)

SewIn2Disney

I just stumbled upon this thread and wow, what a great idea! As a future 1st grade teacher, this is totally something that I'd LOVE to use in my classroom! How neat!! :)
Thanks! I did this while I was student teaching. My cooperating teacher laminated them, so she can use them year after year. (She was a huge Disney freak---we got along great!) I can't wait until I have my own classroom someday so I can do this too!
They weren't hard to do at all----very simple sketching, and www.disneyclipart.com was wonderful for finding all of the Disney characters to put on the monorail.

SewIn2Disney

Happymom---your post reminds me---my bf and I did that a few weeks ago for one of his aunts---they were going to Disney, and being that they came to us (my bf is a huge disney freak too) for a lot of tips, we decided to make one for them. Did you get the idea from the Sandylion Disney scrapbooking book? Because yours looks very similar to ours.
Anyway, here they are----I like how simple yours is---I think we tried to add to much to it. But they still loved it! (Inside we had the Imagineering Book, Hidden Mickeys book, those mini washcloths in the Disney characters, Disney crayons, Disney fans, etc, and then tied to the outside were four Disney shirts)

The can and lid:

looking into it:

Here it is all tied together:

SewIn2Disney

And my last post---here's what I've been up to lately:

I crochet this water bottle cozy because I don't like when I throw a water bottle into my bag and it condensates all over everything. Of course I had to make it with a Disney theme....

also, on another website, I'm participating in a swap (where people with common interests get paired up and craft things for each other). I'm in a Disney swap, so here's the first thing I made my partner. She's going to Disney in a few weeks, and wanted things she can take with her. She's doing a lot of character breakfasts, so I looked up what characters will be at each breakfast and made her a personalized autograph book. Each character has their own decorated page:

And two close ups:

happymom52003

Happymom---your post reminds me---my bf and I did that a few weeks ago for one of his aunts---they were going to Disney, and being that they came to us (my bf is a huge disney freak too) for a lot of tips, we decided to make one for them. Did you get the idea from the Sandylion Disney scrapbooking book? Because yours looks very similar to ours.
Anyway, here they are----I like how simple yours is---I think we tried to add to much to it. But they still loved it! (Inside we had the Imagineering Book, Hidden Mickeys book, those mini washcloths in the Disney characters, Disney crayons, Disney fans, etc, and then tied to the outside were four Disney shirts)

Yours looks great! Vert festive. Yes, I saw the idea for the Disney Survival kit in that scrapbooking book. But I have used paint cans before for similar gifts......they make great containers because they are so much fun to decorate, and you can get them really cheap. A great idea is to use one for a baby gift....fill it with baby gifts, and then there is a poem (I'll try to find it and post it) that you can put on the lid....the poem is about using the paint can to keep baby momentos in....it is really cute, I'll go search for it.

MissM

And my last post---here's what I've been up to lately:

I crochet this water bottle cozy because I don't like when I throw a water bottle into my bag and it condensates all over everything. Of course I had to make it with a Disney theme....
OMG! *covet* That's so great!! I would totally love a cozy like that. It's so cool! I can't sew or knit so I'm always facsinated by those kinds of crafts. I mentioned that in my questionnaire too but... I was hoping you and I would have been paired up but...oh well. I just hope my 16 year old partner doesn't flake on my first swap there. I pm'd her the other day but haven't heard from her and she's not posting on the threads either. Little bit worried.

Anyway, I'm doing the same crafty Disney swap too so here's what I've been working on for it...

disneyswap-alice2.jpg

An Alice necklace on a blue leather cord with blue dangles.

disneyswap-alice2b.jpg

A better shot of the necklace, but another of the park map picture frames. I made the first one for a friend and I thought it was such a fun idea, I'd make another for the swap. She's never been to WDW so I figured it might be neat to get something made from the maps. I plan on putting a picture of the castle in the frame. (Just need to print one up.)

disneyswap-alice2c.jpg

All three things I've made so far. This one also shows the cool Alice in Wonderland box I made for her. Painted it a matching blue to Alice's dress and added these awesome dimensional scrapbook stickers.

I'm going to make some little magnets or something too with shrink plastic. Her favorite character is Alice and it's one of her favorite movies so that's why there's two Alice items.

(And SewIn2Disney - now you can see what the actual items are from the teaser photos! :lol:)

I'm still having fun putting it all together though. Disney crafting is quite enjoyable.
-m

SewIn2Disney

Oohh! You have a lucky partner there! (and for your sake, I hope she doesn't flake out too!) I was thinking we'd get paired up together too because we were both newbies at it, but maybe they didn't want two new people together. When you showed the Epcot map, I knew you were making another frame---I still need to make one of those--I love it!
But that neclace is AMAZING! Very very beautiful and classy! Where did you get the pendant? Did you put your own picture in there? I love it. We'll have to do our own swap...lol. I'll make you the water bottle cozy, and you can make me the neclace....lol.
And the box is awesome. I love the JoLees dimensional stickers---and they're really expanding their line to include some of the lesser known/popular characters, which I like.
Good luck with the swap----see you over on craftster! I have to go post my teaser pictures later.....

MissM

The pendant is from a bracelet of little picture frame charms. I broke it apart so I could turn it into a pendant instead. And I found a great photo of Alice from the cover of the DVD and printed it up on archival photo paper. Then I added the beads with simple beading wire (I'm a jewelry maker) to finish it off.

I'd totally love to trade you a necklace for a cozy! If you're serious, you can drop me a pm or email and I'd love to do that! :D

I was SO THRILLED when I found the Alice ones! Everything is Princesses and such, but my partner didn't want any common character. So the Alice was a great find.

Looking forward to your teaser photos too. :lol:
-m

Cynderella

This is a great thread! I can crochet but I only know the straight across single, double or triple stitch. I wish I knew how to do the mickey scarf and waterbottle! :cry:

SewIn2Disney

Two more things:

My bf's birthday is coming up---here's a card I made. I made two of them, one for him, and one for my swap partner (who is also celebrating a birthday soon)

I still have to print out Happy Birthday in the Disney font, and put it below the car.

And here's an R2D2 ornament I also made for him. (Hey--Star Tours is in Disney, so it counts!) I got the idea from here: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=206746.0;all

Front:

Back:

Eyorefan

Do any of you have any experiance with mosaics? I have a car I'm working on and I was thinking of doing a mossaic SSE on the hood. At first I thought about using mirrors, but then I thought that with glare from the sun, that might not be so cool when I drive it. So, any other ideas of materils I might could use, or a way to dull the mirrors somewhat?

DivineMadness7

Wow, I am in awe. There is some pretty amazing stuff in this thread!

I have 2 upcoming Disney related/Christmas crafts I am planning. I've never dabbled in Disney craftery with the exception of scrapbooking.

Last year, my mom decided she wanted to decorate our entire tree in Disney. We got the Mickey & Minnie personalized tree skirt, some of the mickey head shaped balls, the stocking holders (all from the disneyshopping.com site).

Well I have a friend who makes these elaborate gingerbread houses. This got me thinking, that I need to make a Cinderella's (gingerbread) castle. First, I've never even made a regular gingerbread house with the exception of some graham cracker half attempts when I was young :p

My friend is very detailed, making sure every piece is edible. She really should get a job with Disney. However, she doesn't share our passion though she does respect it.

I'm not as concerned about making EVERYTHING edible due to: a) lack of gingerbread related skills and b) limited time.

But any ideas you could give me would be greatly appreciated!

I also am planning to make stockings. I bought some plain red and green stockings at Joann Fabrics along with about every shade of felt known to man. My plan is to take the mickey head cookie cutter I bought on my last trip (and you know I'm using it for my christmas cookies!) to trace, then xerox and shrink to various sizes. Use those as a pattern to cut the felt shapes, then arrange them on the stockings. I'll post everything when I get done!

Of course, I'm in graduate school so my time is limited but I'm also looking forward to this as a stress relief/study break. Any time I can combine two of my passions (or 3, I also love to bake!) I get very into it!

SewIn2Disney

Wow, I am in awe. There is some pretty amazing stuff in this thread!

I have 2 upcoming Disney related/Christmas crafts I am planning. I've never dabbled in Disney craftery with the exception of scrapbooking.

Last year, my mom decided she wanted to decorate our entire tree in Disney. We got the Mickey & Minnie personalized tree skirt, some of the mickey head shaped balls, the stocking holders (all from the disneyshopping.com site).

Well I have a friend who makes these elaborate gingerbread houses. This got me thinking, that I need to make a Cinderella's (gingerbread) castle. First, I've never even made a regular gingerbread house with the exception of some graham cracker half attempts when I was young :p

My friend is very detailed, making sure every piece is edible. She really should get a job with Disney. However, she doesn't share our passion though she does respect it.

I'm not as concerned about making EVERYTHING edible due to: a) lack of gingerbread related skills and b) limited time.

But any ideas you could give me would be greatly appreciated!

I also am planning to make stockings. I bought some plain red and green stockings at Joann Fabrics along with about every shade of felt known to man. My plan is to take the mickey head cookie cutter I bought on my last trip (and you know I'm using it for my christmas cookies!) to trace, then xerox and shrink to various sizes. Use those as a pattern to cut the felt shapes, then arrange them on the stockings. I'll post everything when I get done!

Of course, I'm in graduate school so my time is limited but I'm also looking forward to this as a stress relief/study break. Any time I can combine two of my passions (or 3, I also love to bake!) I get very into it!
We make completly edible, very intricate gingerbread houses every year. I would suggest starting with a real gingerbread house this year, and maybe next year move up to the castle.
Make sure you find a quality gingerbread recipe, that makes a good hard gingerbread (essentially, not an edible recipe) It should be cooked about a week before you want to build it, so that it can lay out and harden further. As far as the icing is concerned, you'll want to get a recipe that calls for meringue powder, as that will allow it to harden to hold your creation together.

I am in the process of designing this years house, and I'm debating between Mickey's House and the Castle. I'll let you know how it comes out!

SewIn2Disney

Here's what I've been working on----the last two things for my swap that I discussed above:
The first is a drawstring backpack, the red part is a pocket (both front and back), with the yellow circles appliqued on.

Here it is "puffed up"

And here it is lying flat:

And here's some gem magnets I made:

MissM

Looks awesome, SewIn2Disney!! I was hoping you'd post what the teaser was over here. Man! I totally wish I was your partner after seeing what great stuff you've made! :lol:

Super cool! (Though now I'm feeling self-conscious about what I made after hearing about everyone else's stuff. :eek:)
-m

SewIn2Disney

Don't feel self concious---your stuff is awesome! I will be contacting you about a personal swap soon----probably after the holidays! That is, if you're still interested.

Thanks for the compliments!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom