Disney Buying LucasFilm! WHOA

Cosmic Commando

Lucas flame was burning bright in the 70s. People seem to forget that first trilogy was all his, he had complete control on concept to finished project.
Star Wars was so popular that after the huge bomb of Star Trek the motion picture they styled their next film the wrath of khan on the Star Wars success.

As a creative you can only burn so bright for so long....that was proven when George Lucas tried to do everything in the prequels. Turned out to be a mixed bag at best....though I did enjoy Revenge of the Sith.
The first trilogy wasn't "all his". He only directed one of the movies.

Lee

Adventurer
Serious question. Why aren't you CEO? You could teach them how to do social media, create a better franchise than Star Wars, and show them how to run a successful theme park.
You know...if you actually knew him, you might realize that underneath your sarcasm lies a very good question.

That's the problem with being anonymous on the internet. People feel free to insult others, while having no clue who it really is they're insulting.

It's frustrating to see people think they know what they're talking about, but due to comfidentiality, being kinda helpless to set them straight.

CinematicFusion

The first trilogy wasn't "all his". He only directed one of the movies.

Right, but he owned every aspect of Star Wars. It was his desision to hire kershner, he wrote the story. He gave his story to kershner and said this is my vision, make it a reality. He used he own money to finance. He stopped directing because he almost had a heart attack filming the first one. He had just finished directing and writing his last two films, Star Wars and American graffiti. Both films nominated for best picture and best director. He could have if he wished continued to direct but felt there was to much to oversee and hired Lawrence Kasdan to create the screenplay off his story treatments and kershner to direct.(who happened to be Lucas's teacher at USC.)

Kershner was an excellent choice by Lucas and really brought in a visual storytelling style that gave warmth and humanity to the characters. An example was when r2d2 is outside of yoda's hut. It was kershner's decision to have r2d2 stand up on his tippy toes and barley peer into the window while yoda's and Luke were talking.
Small moments like this brings in a child like quality to r2d2, it humanize a the robot and in turn the audience cares about the droid friend. There are many small choices through out the film that just bring the whole thing to life. Han saying "I know", instead of "I love you to" is another.
But all the story elements and structure you see on screen in empire is from George Lucas's mind. Didn't come from anyone else.

Story treatment of empire strikes back from Lucas hand written notes....
http://secrethistoryofstarwars.com/empiretreatment.html

Part of it here taken from Lucas hand written notes...
the Empire Strikes back.

story treatment by George Lucas.

11/28/77

Open on the bleak white planet of Hoth. Luke is riding across the windswept ice slopes on a large snow lizard (taun taun) He reins* up on the gy two legged creature when he spots something on the horizon; a strange ice formation, or meatorite hit. Luke talks into his walkie-talkie which is on his helmet. He lifts his snow goggles as he says "Han, ol buddy everythings OK here, but I saw a glint on the next ridge, and I want to check it out." Over the com link we hear Han say "OK but don't take too long kid, nite storms comming up." Luke says a few kind words to his lizzard, sinks his spurrs in, and the beast leaps forward. He rides over the ridge when suddenly, out of nowhere, a giant snow creature jumps up in front of him, causing the lizzard to rear back and throw Luke to the icy ground. the monster grabs the taun taun by its neck, killing the poor lizzard, then bashes Luke in the face. Unconscious, covered with blood the young warrior from tatooine is dragged across the snow by the horrible snow monster.

Han Solo rides his snow lizzard into a huge, beautiful but eerie ice cave and dismounts from his tauntaun. Its a big hanger for the rebel fleet, there is a lot of activity as troops and robots batter* down the space ships. Leia is in some kind of control area near the main hanger deck. Han walks passed workmen blasting corridor off the main hanger, and reinforcing things with metal gurters. He enters the control room and Leia asks where Luke is. Han tells her, that Luke wanted to look at an ice formation and would be delayed. He says " the whole planet is safe, and deserted, nothing out there, and the empire will never find us here." He's boasting about the whole thing. "now that things are set, I'm leaving." he Explains to the princess, which upsets her, and she becomes angry, icy as the cave. He says he must pay an old debt, or he will be hunted down.

R-2 + 3P0 are in the control room in same area, they comment on the environment, on weather the empire will find them, and R-2 is slightly concerned that Luke isnT back yet. Han leaves the control room and Leia stormes off after him. the robots comment on Han leaving.

the princess and the Pirate meet in one of the ice corridors outside the control room. Han Explains the reason he has to go, important. He has no choice. It's a mission that he must go off and complete at the end of the film. Han comes on to Leia, but she won't have much to do with it. She stays aloof of the whole situation and doesn't have time to fall in love. She rejects Han as a rogue, and puts him in his place, but she gets a sparkle in her eye, and is slightly attracted to Han.

In the ice monsters lare*, Luke is in trouble. He regains consciousness and uses the Force for escape. He's fumbling with the use of the force. it's not very strong with him, (visualized through para psyapsyie* aspects.) the ice monster is always vague, and mysterious. Luke fingers a talsman around his neck, and talks about Ben to himself. He feels he must go to the planet described on Ben's talsman. Luke finally shows up at the base and explains the monsters, and danger. the rebels argue about thier safety, some think they may be able to control them, as they have the taun tauns. they have a discussion about the danger of the Empire finding them if they move again. In the process of this argument Luke is taken to a medical area. he has been beaten and battered quite a bit by now.

In the recovery room Leia takes care of Luke. he is obviously in love with her, and he tries to Express this to her. Leia says she can't love him, job etc, but gives him a sentimental kiss. this tenderness is broken by the enterting of Han and the robots, also Chewie. Discussion about Han leaving and concern about the Empire, and the snow creature. Han and Leia exchange a few snappy one-liners; He putting her on, and she putting him down, Luke is generally confused by all of this. The robots make humoros comments about it all. Luke tells Leia he must also go on a personal mission.

Han is starting to leave. Chewebacca is busy loading the Falcon when there is an attack of the snow creatures in the ice cave. there is a gun battle and the monsters are destroyed. three monsters attack Han. We still don't get a clear look at the creatures. Chewie fights one of them, sometimes he's a little afraid of mechanical things, but not afraid of these creatures An explosion and the power goes out.

Vader - waiting at center of the Imperial stronghold. It is revealed he knows where the rebels are, and makes preperations to go after them.

the robots are concerned about the monsters. the people are concerned about the monsters. protective measures are taken, and a plan to drive the monsters out of the base. A controler gives a damage report, they have lost all power and will freeze if it is not restored soon.

td1129

You know...if you actually knew him, you might realize that underneath your sarcasm lies a very good question.

That's the problem with being anonymous on the internet. People feel free to insult others, while having no clue who it really is they're insulting.

It's frustrating to see people think they know what they're talking about, but due to comfidentiality, being kinda helpless to set them straight.

I didn't insult him, just calling out how ridiculous his incessant, baseless criticism is.

WDWmazprty

12915_396810797057436_1723311843_n.jpg

G00fyDad

I didn't insult him, just calling out how ridiculous his incessant, baseless criticism is.

That's just 74 for you. Learn to look the other way. Of course, I wouldn't call it baseless. He does know what he is talking about. However, he could put things to others quite a bit better. Many times it comes off as arrogant or condescending, but he still has the facts.

td1129

That's just 74 for you. Learn to look the other way. Of course, I wouldn't call it baseless. He does know what he is talking about. However, he could put things to others quite a bit better. Many times it comes off as arrogant or condescending, but he still has the facts.

In the past 24 hours the guy has said Disney doesn't know what social media is and Star Wars characters are shallow. If that's not clueless I don't know what is.

HMF

Baseless?, We have about a decades worth of precedent to draw from here. Also very few of us have the insight and connections into the inner-workings of the Walt Disney Company that 74 has. So unless you have a spy in Burbank I would not think it wise to say that the observations of somebody who knows what happens inside Disney better than you or I or 90% of the posters here, are baseless.

tsilvius

I'm hoping this doesn't happen but I'm waiting for a sensitive parent to complain to stop done army soldiers from carrying around blasters soon like in this:

channel source: http://www.youtube.com/disneyparks

I'm not sure if this change from sketch to statue was because of park guest feedback or not, but wasn't there a change in the Gaston statue design from holding a gun to now holding barrels?

gas226894SMALL.jpg

source: http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...n-arrives-in-belles-village-at-magic-kingdom/

gas116894SMALL.jpg

source: http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...n-arrives-in-belles-village-at-magic-kingdom/

I have discovered by the many posts on this forum, that there are so many people out there that are pessimists.
Many have no imagination and always see the glass as just half empty. If Walt followed all you pessimists out there, we would not have The Walt Disney Company at all. He chose to be the optimist, the philanthropist, that saw the good in life, people, and situations. He battled against people's harsh words and ideals, to in turn create and go with his own ideals. He turned away from the pessimism of his plans and made Disneyland and The Walt Disney Company. I don't know what this change (the purchase of Lucasfilm) will hold in the long run, but I have faith that Bob Iger, all of the executives of the Walt Disney Company, and the Walt Disney Imagineering sector of the company will make all the nation's, the world's, dreams come true. They will bring something from George Lucas' ideas into fruition, whether is is the way we want it or not. You can see through the simple details of each section of the company that they all care. This rings true Walt's desires with his company, and all the people who work within it's many borders. I realize that we must think realistically, but shouldn't we act as Walt did and see the good in people, situations, and in life? I believe so, and I hope that all of you out here on the forums will see the good side, too. I also think that we should be encouraged to use our imaginations, like Walt did, and the Walt Disney Imagineering use every day. Dreams and Imagination is what created the Walt Disney Company, and I hope that we can see that side in it, and not the bad parts.

With Lucasfilm's buyout? I have the faith that each member that is involved with bringing ideas to life will do so by believing in what they are doing, by being the optimist, not the pessimist.

matt9112

I have discovered by the many posts on this forum, that there are so many people out there that are pessimists.
Many have no imagination and always see the glass as just half empty. If Walt followed all you pessimists out there, we would not have The Walt Disney Company at all. He chose to be the optimist, the philanthropist, that saw the good in life, people, and situations. He battled against people's harsh words and ideals, to in turn create and go with his own ideals. He turned away from the pessimism of his plans and made Disneyland and The Walt Disney Company. I don't know what this change (the purchase of Lucasfilm) will hold in the long run, but I have faith that Bob Iger, all of the executives of the Walt Disney Company, and the Walt Disney Imagineering sector of the company will make all the nation's, the world's, dreams come true. They will bring something from George Lucas' ideas into fruition, whether is is the way we want it or not. You can see through the simple details of each section of the company that they all care. This rings true Walt's desires with his company, and all the people who work within it's many borders. I realize that we must think realistically, but shouldn't we act as Walt did and see the good in people, situations, and in life? I believe so, and I hope that all of you out here on the forums will see the good side, too. I also think that we should be encouraged to use our imaginations, like Walt did, and the Walt Disney Imagineering use every day. Dreams and Imagination is what created the Walt Disney Company, and I hope that we can see that side in it, and not the bad parts.

With Lucasfilm's buyout? I have the faith that each member that is involved with bringing ideas to life will do so by believing in what they are doing, by being the optimist, not the pessimist.

you will see alot of that on here bud...i just ignore the doom and gloom and check the facts out....sure orlando is not what it could be but i go back alll the time. dont get too worked up about the negativity...its all the old timers missing captain EO. and such.

Clever Name

you will see alot of that on here bud...i just ignore the doom and gloom and check the facts out....sure orlando is not what it could be but i go back alll the time. dont get too worked up about the negativity...its all the old timers missing captain EO. and such.
I am disappointed that they didn't include rap music and break dancing in the CBJ refurb.

Cosmic Commando

Right, but he owned every aspect of Star Wars.
Yeah, but you can take the same idea and film it a bunch of different ways; it can turn out great or terrible. It's the difference between the "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!" in Ep III and Han Solo's stoic grimace as he's frozen into carbonite. I don't care if he wrote the story treatment, or picked the director, or that he almost had a heart attack... he only directed A New Hope; it is not true in any way to say that the OT was "all his". And I think the "I love you." "I know." was an ad lib from Harrison Ford, not anyone's "idea" but his. I think Irvin Kershner talks about it on the megadocumentary that was packaged with the Blu-rays.

Cosmic Commando

I'm hoping this doesn't happen but I'm waiting for a sensitive parent to complain to stop done army soldiers from carrying around blasters soon like in this:

channel source: http://www.youtube.com/disneyparks

I'm not sure if this change from sketch to statue was because of park guest feedback or not, but wasn't there a change in the Gaston statue design from holding a gun to now holding barrels?

gas226894SMALL.jpg

gas116894SMALL.jpg

It was never installed with a gun, so I don't think it's guest feedback... just CYA. Hopefully, the PC thing doesn't get too far... say goodbye to build-your-own lightsaber! All those kids walking around pretending that they can chop people in half with a flick of the wrist? The horror! Won't someone think of the children?!?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom